• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (4 Viewers)

1 st January 65 species seen included Green Sandpiper, Goldeneye M. , 2GW Egrets, 13 L.Egrets, 14 Grey Herons, Peregrine , Chiffchaff M.F. Bullfinch and M. Red-Crested Pochard the best. --->Wagon Wheel South Pit.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 6
Visited Holt on the way to grimley ,Flock of 30+ Fieldfare and Sparrowhawk eyeing up a flock of distant Skylark [25+]. Will have to make a return visit with the scope.
Grimley GWE Wagon Wheel pits, river flash quiet, 6L Egrets in distant trees.
CLP MF. Goldeneye still and my first and only so far Great-crested Grebe .

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    796.1 KB · Views: 4
sSunday morning Kingfisher at Holt along with285 Lapwing.
Blackcap Male in mistletoe and c10 Meadow Pipits Church Farm , along with c 40 linnets + hunting Kestrel.
Did not see Egyptian Goose but 2f 1m Goldeneye main pit.

Tuesday morning calm but dull added 5 more species today bringing the year list to 77 with a couple of difficult ones all Church Farm /WW area , 3 Siskins, 1 Lesser Redpoll, 2 Treecreeper and 2 Woodcock. Pair of Goosanders flying upriver . Goldeneye MF still 17 Pochard, Kestrel taking Vole CLP . 2 Blackcap MF mistletoe CF.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 3
The Egyptian goose was in with a huge Canada flock in the field to the east of Camp Lane itself. A pair of stonechats then seemed quite oblivious to me on my way back to the village. I'd started the circuit from the end of Waggon Wheel down the Severn and near the canal had been two male and two female goosanders.

Tuesday am. ,misty all water semi frozen, Church Farm Stonechat, Sparrowhawk, Kingfisher, Siskins. GW and L. Egret Wagon Wheel.
CLP 4 Shelduck, 25+ Pochard, Egptian Goose with Grey-Lags, 1M2F Goldeneye, several Water Rail calling . Goldfinches, Reed Buntings Redpolls Alders.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 6
2 Ravens flew over N. end CLP Friday [tick] . Sunday mid morning 400 +Canadas with all the usual suspects. Goldeneyes still and 3 Eygptians with increases to all the regular duck species.
Redwings and Fieldfares still seem to be quite limited compared to previous years but as winter progresses i expect them to concentrate more on the farmland the same with brambling also a bird I have not seen yet at Grimley.

All three goldeneyes still present at CLP this morning, along with two great crested grebes. All the lapwings spooked at one stage and this time I could pick out a peregrine powering over. Amazing for that to be my first record for the site in over twenty years; even merlin beat it on to the list! Mistle thrushes singing and I'm learning to check out the mistletoe. Today the clusters at Church Farm held a male blackcap.

Sunday morning sunny cool, the Goldeneye seem to have departed, and the other duck species were spread out all over Grimley water areas. F Goosander Wagon Wheel as was 2 Mandarin [pair] Grimley brook. A Tawny Owl was calling from the same area.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 5
Goldeneyes back [3] , few more Snipe [5] , 2 GC grebes a rarity this winter and first Oystercatcher of the year seen and CLP and later Church Farm . 100 +Shovellor, 33 Pochard, 66% male , 285 Wigeon + those at CLP. Not fogeting a showy Blue Tit

Attachments

• 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 045.JPG
    045.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 3
One female goldeneye late this afternoon and the great crested grebes up to four. More amazement followed the discovery that a coal tit was my first record for the site. You'd think it'd come in earlier than #113.

Monday am . 7 Mandarins on river 3 l Egrets Pink_footed/ Bean Goose CLP left almost immediately North. Sunlight too strong to be sure of ID but probably the former. First Oystercatcher the previous Friday.

One female goldeneye late this afternoon and the great crested grebes up to four. More amazement followed the discovery that a coal tit was my first record for the site. You'd think it'd come in earlier than #113.
I have not had a coal tit yet this year at Grimley but as they usually hang around near conifers of some type you have to check the yew trees or go to Holt Castle /Sling pool and check the Cedars or Larches.

I have not had a coal tit yet this year at Grimley but as they usually hang around near conifers of some type you have to check the yew trees or go to Holt Castle /Sling pool and check the Cedars or Larches.
I always reckon to hear coal tits before seeing them, or even only to hear them, which makes the omission that much more surprising. I've not been to the Sling Pool much but in my world that's a different site (although once I used to count Grimley up beyond Holt Fleet!)

I always reckon to hear coal tits before seeing them, or even only to hear them, which makes the omission that much more surprising. I've not been to the Sling Pool much but in my world that's a different site (although once I used to count Grimley up beyond Holt Fleet!)
Holt/ Sling Pool ,I do not go around as often as I used to , its becoming more and more difficult to observe anything. The flash over the field was what attracted me and I have had some good birds there, but now they have filled it in that probably will stop , which is a shame as there were breeding sucessful waders on it in recent years .

CLP Friday evening 3 Female Goldeneye with the male ,he,s becoming more popular . More Lapwing than usual, could be the c150 from the Holt area.

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 1
Monday am., a Curlew flew North over CLP at 9:00 am calling first sign of the coming migration, can't wait. Various birds starting nest building the C. Crows, Magpies , Jackdaws and Couple of Mute Swans , one building on the North causeway. Goldeneyes still present and later 4 Oystercatchers on the flooded W.W. river fields. Redpolls were feeding in the Alders N. CLP.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 3
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 044.JPG
    044.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 3
Grimley ,Wednesday morning ,strong southerly wind , Church Farm Redshank , Red-legged Partidge 2 [first sighting for 15 months ] with another by itself at WW pits which could of been an English although undecided. Oystercatchers mating and 3 Eygptian Geese. CLP very choppy, Goldeneye 4 [3F], Shelduck and a Common Gull 1st winter. 5 chiffchaffs at the S. end 1 singing . 92 species so far this year.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 5
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 5
Southerly wind still, heavy cloud but didn't get wet, CLP 4 Goldeneye 2M no increase in Sand Martin , Redshank . River walk Red Kite opposite village drifting towards WW. WW. floods almost receded but 2 Green Sandpipers, 2 Mandarins MF , and 7 L Egrets. Single Partridge on the way back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back