• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (2 Viewers)

Grafham 27 Feb 2021; a single Common Sandpiper on the harbour boom. No Great Northern Divers seen in brief search in flat calm conditions. A noisy Raven at Marlow point.
I spent quite a bit of time looking for them on Sunday too. Flat calm. No sign. This is the first visit this year without seeing one, but then one was reported on RBA in evening by sailing club (your sighting I assume Matthew) - which is the only area I didn't check yesterday - I think its safe to say, though, that we don't have four Divers any longer. This is early for them to depart - they often stay into April (sometimes May).

I spent quite a bit of time looking for them on Sunday too. Flat calm. No sign. This is the first visit this year without seeing one, but then one was reported on RBA in evening by sailing club (your sighting I assume Matthew) - which is the only area I didn't check yesterday - I think its safe to say, though, that we don't have four Divers any longer. This is early for them to depart - they often stay into April (sometimes May).
Yes, the GND was just off the boom. Ordinarily I would have had some good close-ups but as bird photography is still an illegal act in this country currently I didn’t risk it in front of the rangers who were getting the fishing boats ready. Lets see what happens on the 8th March .....

Grafham 6 Mar 2021; juvenile White-tailed Eagle located early morning at the lagoons and watched on and off for most of the day. The introduced bird from the Isle of Wight has a satellite tracking device fixed to its back that can be seen clearly. A rare photo opportunity so close to home. Still a single Great Northern Diver, heard calling a few times but sadly no replies.

Attachments

• AH4I4238c2.JPG
    AH4I4238c2.JPG
    805.8 KB · Views: 3
Grafham 7 Mar 2021; two new Red-breasted Mergansers, female Scaup, Great Northern Diver, two Bewick's Swans and a Common Scoter at west end.
The White-tailed Eagle spent a lot of time flying around until at least 13.30; much disturbance along the lagoons shore below the roosting trees this morning so it may not use the tall trees there again.

Grafham 7 Mar 2021; Great Northern Diver still plus two female Scaups, one off Plummer, one of Mander. No sign of the Slavonian Grebe today, good find by RP yesterday and thanks for hot news!

Grafham 20 Mar 2021; Great Northern Diver still plus a female Red-breasted Merganser off Hill Farm. An obliging Rock Pipit on the dam allowing very close views despite the constant stream of people and an annoying Pied Wagtail frequently attacking it.

Grafham 21 Mar 2021: early news of a Jack Snipe at Grafham lagoons (thanks MH) ; and four hours later waiting for the bird to move into the open eventually paid off.

A very difficult bird to see at Grafham and as the last one I saw anywhere must have been over 20 years ago it was worth a long wait today.

A couple of video clips of the bird 'bouncing' as it appears to be described

Last edited:
Grafham 29 May
No sign if this one mid morning today so maybe only appears in the evenings.

Attachments

• 1213ECC4-4D01-4138-921C-5C01EB914357.jpeg
    1213ECC4-4D01-4138-921C-5C01EB914357.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Further to 29 May ; the interesting wagtail showed well for 90 minutes on the dam from around 16:30. For the wagtail enthusiasts, a lot more close-up images taken. One thing I'm learning is that the shades of grey really do vary a lot depending on lighting and distance. Looking at previously posted images of hybrid Blue-headed x Yellow Wagtails and 'pure' Blue-headed individuals may all be very subjective if images are anything but perfect. This bird has a lot of very dark flecking in the grey ; possibly hybrid between Blue headed and a darker headed bird rather than a Yellow Wag parentage?? Leave this to the experts I think!

Plus video here:

Also a Sanderling in the evening.

Last edited:
Grafham 30 May 2021: another hour or so of close observation of the hybrid wagtail at the dam late afternoon. Just a few more better images to judge the precise shades of grey and fine details. Just need to study the article in Birding World (Volume 20, page 109) to see where this one fits.

Grafham 1 June 2021 evening; five Sanderling on the dam. The above wagtail still present in the usual location, the northern quarter of the dam.

From what I can gather this is a standard male 'Channel Wagtail' Motacilla flava flava x M. f. flavissima of the 'Sykes's type' hybrid look-alike.

AH4I8030c2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back