• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grafham Water (9 Viewers)

Grafham 1 January 2021 : Two Great Northern Divers off the sailing club from around 09.00, same birds seen from various locations through the day until 15.30. Only one bird seen in the gull roost so may be a different third bird? Of note, one of the birds called a couple of times at 09.00 before they came together; a remarkable sound in Huntingdonshire!
Also: two Bewick's Swans moving about the west end; two Great White Egrets; a Common Sandpiper and a good size flock of Wigeon.

Grafham 2 Jan 2021: Two Great Northern Divers still early am off the sailing club area. Also seen at dusk together in while watching the gull roost. Two Bewick's Swans still and female Scaup off Valley Creek. A Green Sandpiper in Gaynes creek

Grafham 9 Jan 2021; pm in thick fog. Female Scaup still off Mander Carpark plus drake Goosander. Beware of the AW rangers; a birdwatcher/photographer was moved on from the fishing lodge earlier this week by the manager. Usual pathetic victimisation of birdwaters/photograhers I assume. 200 odd cars in the carparks so make up your own mind on the subject...

Grafham 16 Jan 2021; four Great Northern Divers seen together at mid-day off the north shore. I’m presuming the extra bird since 3 Jan is a new bird (or returning bird) . If a new bird I make that 6 birds this ‘winter’ but am open to offers exceeding this! Too far away for photos and as I’m not a registered professional photographer I would be risking a £200 fine if caught! (?) . Off course a lot of couples photographing themselves on their camera phones but that is ok..... or walking their dogs .....
Also Great White Egret still.

Grafham 17 Jan 2021; at least three Great Northern Divers off the north shore still. Two Great White Egrets and 15 or so Little Egrets. One Goosander drake at the harbour.

Grafham 23 Jan 2021; two Great Northern Divers off the north shore still. One or two Great White Egrets and two Bewick’s Swans at the west end. Water level is now getting very low!!

Grafham 24 Jan 2021; three Great Northern Divers off the north shore still. Female Scaup again off Plummer car park early morning . The two Bewick's Swans flew around over the dam and may have departed early morning. Single Great White Egret flew flew towards the river early morning. Two Goosanders.

Grafham 16 Jan 2021; four Great Northern Divers seen together at mid-day off the north shore. I’m presuming the extra bird since 3 Jan is a new bird (or returning bird) . If a new bird I make that 6 birds this ‘winter’ but am open to offers exceeding this! Too far away for photos and as I’m not a registered professional photographer I would be risking a £200 fine if caught! (?) . Off course a lot of couples photographing themselves on their camera phones but that is ok..... or walking their dogs .....
Also Great White Egret still.
Hi Matthew, only just seen this. I had the totals at 6 already for the 2020/2021 winter - the 2 adults, followed by 4 juveniles. How are you calculating 6 birds this winter? Personally, I think there has been 4 birds all month, and they are just elusive and mobile. I often see just 2 birds on one day, and then 3 or 4 the next day. Followed again by just two birds a few days later. I guess its possible they are occasionally visiting somewhere like Paxton Pits (has happened previously with some other Divers), but I personally can't see any evidence that we have had more than 4 different juveniles this winter. Interested in your thoughts on this.

Hi Matthew, only just seen this. I had the totals at 6 already for the 2020/2021 winter - the 2 adults, followed by 4 juveniles. How are you calculating 6 birds this winter? Personally, I think there has been 4 birds all month, and they are just elusive and mobile. I often see just 2 birds on one day, and then 3 or 4 the next day. Followed again by just two birds a few days later. I guess its possible they are occasionally visiting somewhere like Paxton Pits (has happened previously with some other Divers), but I personally can't see any evidence that we have had more than 4 different juveniles this winter. Interested in your thoughts on this.
Two ads and 4 juvs for certain; but as I’ve seen them flying around doing circuits a couple of times I do wonder if they come and go? Maybe there is one of the four staying out of site in Savages creek and only meeting up with the others rarely. They seem to be avoiding the dam and the western end area though.

Grafham 30 Jan 2021; two Velvet Scoters first seen in the middle of the reservoir until flushed by one of the Great Northern Divers last seen distantly from the fishing lodge at dusk. Female Scaup still off the dam. Four GND's still.

Grafham 31 Jan 2021; no sign of the Velvet Scoters this morning so here is a record shot from last night.

Two Great Northern Divers and two Great White Egrets this morning while walking around the western end, prior to be told to 'move on' by AW employee at the lodge; it is of course illegal to carry a tripod and scope in the current bungled lockdown but you can go shooting! They are however happy to take £5 off you to park and sell you coffee at the cafes..........✌️

Grafham 6 Feb 2021; still at least two Great Northern Divers off north shore this morning. One Great White Egret in Savages Creek. Water now getting very low with at least 16 Redshanks at western end. Still a most unpleasant feeling of having to avoid being seen by the AW staff who patrol the reservoir moving on Birdwatchers. Feels like having to hide from armed poachers in the Vietnamese jungle which was not at all fun...

Grafham 7 Feb; two Bewick’s Swans showing exceptionally well just in front of Marlow carpark this morning. Still two Great Northern Divers off the north shore.

Grafham 8 Feb 2021; three Great Northern Divers together off Hill Farm mid morning. Two Bewick’s Swans still around Marlow point.

Grafham 13 Feb 2021; below freezing all day. Female Scaup off Plummer Carpark. A Knot in Valley Creek still. Single Dunlin and Green Sandpiper on the dam. (Didn't look for divers today)

Grafham 21 Feb 2021; three Great Northern Divers still, a pair of Red-breasted Mergansers off Mallow car park plus female Scaup off Marlow point late morning. Two Bewick's Swans off Mander Car park.

Grafham 27 Feb 2021; a single Common Sandpiper on the harbour boom. No Great Northern Divers seen in brief search in flat calm conditions. A noisy Raven at Marlow point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back