• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden photos (1 Viewer)

I live in cradley but not that long ago it was part of worcestehire and the fields directly behing my house are on the boarder of worcestershire

Some shots from today

Attachments

• Bullfinch A IMG_2584.jpg
    Bullfinch A IMG_2584.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 29
  • GSW A IMG_2578.jpg
    GSW A IMG_2578.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 24
  • GSW A IMG_2580.jpg
    GSW A IMG_2580.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 26
  • GSW A IMG_2605.jpg
    GSW A IMG_2605.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 28
Two shots from today approx 09.30

Attachments

• Jay A IMG_2719.jpg
    Jay A IMG_2719.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Jay A IMG_2727.jpg
    Jay A IMG_2727.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 28
I think Large Skipper would have hooked antennae - which this doesn't seem to have. I think it is probably a Small Skipper but there is a chance it could be an Essex Skipper - you have to see the undersides of the antennae to tell these latter two apart (with any certainty).

???????? moth

I am pretty confident that the skipper is an Essex. In addition to looking for the black antennae, the scent line on the forewings should be short and straight, parallel with the forewing edge, which the image shows. On a Small Skipper the scent line is longer and curved and therefore not parallel with the forewing. Any Essex Skippers that I have identified using the scent line for an initial ID, have always been confirmed as Essex if I have seen the antennae later.

Des.

I am pretty confident that the skipper is an Essex. In addition to looking for the black antennae, the scent line on the forewings should be short and straight, parallel with the forewing edge, which the image shows. On a Small Skipper the scent line is longer and curved and therefore not parallel with the forewing. Any Essex Skippers that I have identified using the scent line for an initial ID, have always been confirmed as Essex if I have seen the antennae later.

Des.

OK - good tips there Des - very useful info as trying to see the underside of the antennae isn't always very easy / practical with these little jobs.

OK - good tips there Des - very useful info as trying to see the underside of the antennae isn't always very easy / practical with these little jobs.

Yes great "tips"......I presume we COULD get the Essex around here.
Even having pictorial evidencd does not stop me confusing them. ....why cant they sing like Chiffchafs....lol

Another pic of the pos Essex skipper

I think that confirms it as an Essex Skipper - the (top) antenna has an inky black tip which appears to extend to the underside - as well as the other features Des alluded to. An increasing species in Worcestershire these days - I believe they only colonised these parts in the last few decades. :t:

O.K. we a re going with an Essex...this is exciting ...and confusing as I have to try and I.D. 3 different ones now...and with M and F's that 6....LOL

I am going to look at previous pics I have got to do a reassessment of them....

SO...Large...Hooked
Small...brown/orangey
Essex...Black tips.

Thanks

Keith :t:

p.s....is this one M or F...he he

O.K. we a re going with an Essex...this is exciting ...and confusing as I have to try and I.D. 3 different ones now...and with M and F's that 6....LOL

I am going to look at previous pics I have got to do a reassessment of them....

SO...Large...Hooked
Small...brown/orangey
Essex...Black tips.

Thanks

Keith :t:

p.s....is this one M or F...he he

It's a male because it has the smal line I mentioned earlier: the female does not.

Des.

???????? moth

It's an Essex Skipper Vern. There is a healthy population along Butts Lane at Stone with about a 50:50 split between Essex and Small Skipper

I first discovered them there about 5 years ago and they seem to be spreading to other areas in the Stone, Summerfield and Shenstone area

Jase

Last edited:
Some shots from today with 300mm lens

Attachments

• Blackbird A IMG_2755.jpg
    Blackbird A IMG_2755.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Bullfinch A IMG_2729.jpg
    Bullfinch A IMG_2729.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Bullfinch A IMG_2778.jpg
    Bullfinch A IMG_2778.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Bullfinch A IMG_2927.jpg
    Bullfinch A IMG_2927.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Magpie A IMG_2803.jpg
    Magpie A IMG_2803.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 32
more shots from tonight

Attachments

• Woodpigeon A IMG_2900.jpg
    Woodpigeon A IMG_2900.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Tit A IMG_2840.jpg
    Tit A IMG_2840.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 18
  • Tit A IMG_2740.jpg
    Tit A IMG_2740.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Stock Dove A IMG_2769.jpg
    Stock Dove A IMG_2769.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Rook A IMG_2886.jpg
    Rook A IMG_2886.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 18
more from tonight with 300mm lens

Attachments

• Magpie A IMG_2812.jpg
    Magpie A IMG_2812.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Rook A IMG_2857.jpg
    Rook A IMG_2857.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Nuthatch A IMG_2756.jpg
    Nuthatch A IMG_2756.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 32
  • A IMG_2936.jpg
    A IMG_2936.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 25
just uploaded a couple of pics to my flickr of a very young female Kestrel that has strained her wing (bless her) anyways ive took the little beauty to a falconry centre when shes fully fit they will return her to be released from my garden where she was found.
ps thanks for answering your phone at 6 this morning mr jtb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back