• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden list 2010 by Kojak (1 Viewer)

=====================================APRIL============================================================================

I spent most of the month in Colombia which left the garden in a state of neglect. When I returned I recorded four year-ticks before the end of the month. On the 22nd four Greenfinch visited the feeders. The 29th proved to be the best evening for movement. I recorded eighteen species in a two hour spell. This included my 2nd record of Peregrine and two Grey Heron.

Last edited:
16/05

35 Eurasian Jackdaw (Corvus monedula)

A single bird flew low W in heavy rain.

Whilst doing the garden today I heard a Firecrest and promptly started a search of the garden THEN realised I had programmed my girlfriends ringtone as..... you have guessed it!! I guess you had 2 see the panic in my face to appreciate the humour attached to the situation!!

Last edited:
=====================================MAY=========================================================

Work commitments hampered garden watch during this month. Swift numbers increased throughout the month. A Grey Heron was seen flying W pursued by a crow on the 14th. The first Jackdaw was noted on the 16th. A male and female Blackbird were daily visitors to the seed tray. Starling numbers reached c20 on 28th.

===================================JUNE===========================================================

The Robins were busy feeding young during the early part of the month. A Hobby was observed flying N whilst I was at a BBQ in a neighbours garden on the 13th. Sadly it did not fly near my garden so it does not count. A shame as this would have been a garden tick if it had turned left at the junction! A Peregrine was seen flying E on 24th.

==================================JULY============================================================

July saw the most activity from juvenile birds visiting the feeders. I stocked the feeders with dry insects nuts and seed to assist the fledglings on the road to survival. Amongst juvenile birds were Blackbird, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Long Tailed Tit. A Coal Tit was seen several times during the month.
I have planted a new Buddleia bush to attract butterflies to the garden. Gatekeeper, Small White and Common Blue were regular visitors to the garden.

Totals

:t: = 0 :king: = 0 B :) = 3

Last edited:
==================================August==========================================

Garden watching was put on hold again due to work commitments. Great and Blue Tits were noted along with Blackbirds and a single Robin. Wood Pigeons Carrion Crow and Magpie were also present.

Last edited:
22/09

37 Eurasian Swallow (Hirundo rustica rustica) B :)

Flew low S at 1745hrs nearly hitting me as I went to fill my feeders.

Totals

:t: = 0 :king: = 0 B :) = 4

=====================================September=============================

A yeartick on the 16th in the form of a Great Spotted Woodpecker which was located in the Alder tree a Coal Tit visited the garden on this day. A Jackdaw flew over on the 17th.

One garden tick on the 22nd at 1745hrs in the form of a kamikazee Swallow which flew straight at me as I went to fill the feeders.

The regular suspects Great and Blue Tits, Wood Pigeons and the sigle Robin were still visiting the feeders.

My garden life list is now a massive :eek!: 42

Last edited:
28/10

38 Eurasian Sparrowhawk (Accipiter nisus)

Whilst watching the now regular Ringed Necked Parakeet flight to roost a low flying juv type bird swooped across the garden sending the roosting pigeons upwards.....

Also 2 Fieldfare S, 83 Ring necked Parakeets W to NE, 70 Herring Gull W, 2 Jackdaw W, Collared Dove, 2 Magpie, 2 Crow, 7 Black Headed Gull, 1 Feral Pigeon, 6 Wood Pigeon.

======================================October===============================

A month that produced new record counts for a few regular species to the garden.

On 2nd a garden record of nine Goldfinch were noted squabbling on the niger feeder. (I have since replaced the feeder with a larger feeder). A Jay, Collared Dove and four Blue Tit were also noted this day.

The 3rd produced a family party of three Magpie and c50 Starling which increased to 62 birds on the 22nd.

On 24th the now regular Ring Necked Parakeet W to NE roost flight produced a tally of 111 birds. Parakeets were rare in / over the garden until recently.

One yeartick this month on the 28th in the form of a Sparrowhawk that buzzed the garden whilst I was watching the Parakeet flight to roost. I thought this species was going to elude me on the year I decide to keep a yearlist. Two Fieldfare also flew S. A flock of 70 Herring Gull flew NW.

Last edited:
18/11

(-) Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major)

I finally caught up with this species which I have heard regularly in the area. Not a new tick but the first pictures of it visiting the feeders.

Attachments

• West Sutton Great Spotted Woodpecker 1.jpg
    West Sutton Great Spotted Woodpecker 1.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 65
  • West Sutton Great Spotted Woodpecker 2.jpg
    West Sutton Great Spotted Woodpecker 2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back