• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden list 2010 by Kojak (1 Viewer)

This is not going to be the most thrilling of posts but I hope to pay more attention to my Surrey / Greater London garden this year in an attempt to improve on the 38 species I have recorded so far. I am situated in a busy residential street with gardens and a spattering of trees. I have two feeder stands containing peanut, sunflower hearts, niger, fatballs and seed. I also have a ground feeding tray with seed. A peanut box which I keep topped up keeps the local Squirrel off the feeders.
I am keeping a daily record of the birds seen from the garden. I hope to watch the feeders for an hour a day everything permitting. I will post a resume of each months movements.

Key

B :) = Garden tick
:king: = Surrey tick
:t: = Lifer (In the unlikely event this happens)

01/01

01 Black-headed Gull (Larus ridibundus)
02 European Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)
03 Common Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus)
04 Rose-ringed Parakeet (Psittacula krameri)
05 Eurasian Blackbird (Turdus merula)
06 European Robin (Erithacus rubecula)
07 Great Tit (Parus major)
08 Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)
09 Carrion Crow (Corvus corone)
10 Common Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)

72 Black headed gull over in less than 30mins.
Most of the gulls commute to Beddington Farm some stop on the roofs of nearby houses.

02/01

11 Redwing (Turdus iliacus)
12 Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)

03/01

13 Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs)

Redwing seen for a second day.
13 Wood Pigeon today.

Attachments

• West Sutton Blackbird 2.JPG
    West Sutton Blackbird 2.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 98
  • West Sutton Common Wood Pigeon 1.JPG
    West Sutton Common Wood Pigeon 1.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 96
  • West Sutton Robin 2.JPG
    West Sutton Robin 2.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 88
  • West Sutton Starling 2.JPG
    West Sutton Starling 2.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
06/01

14 Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)B :)
15 Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos)

Having made it home before dark the snow still falling... I filled up the feeders and watched for approx 30mins.
2 Fieldfare were the hi-lite flying over producing the first garden tick of the year.
Also 21 (6 in trees) Woodpigeon and 11 Crow and 8 Black Headed Gull flew over.

Tick totals

:t: = 0 (No suprise there!) :king: = 0 (Unlikely) B :) = 1

Garden list Total = 39

Last edited:
07/01

16 European Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis)

Two goldfinch feeding on Niger seed. A Fieldfare was seen in tree from the garden.

Attachments

• West Sutton Goldfinch 2.JPG
    West Sutton Goldfinch 2.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 93
  • West Sutton Blue Tit 2.JPG
    West Sutton Blue Tit 2.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 77
  • West Sutton Garden 2.JPG
    West Sutton Garden 2.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
08/01

17 House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

A host of birds waiting in the apple tree this morning 3 Blue tit, 2 Great tit a F House Sparrow and a Starling... None of whom flew off when I approached and filled the feeders....! Food must be scarce!

Last edited:
09/01

18 Feral Pigeon (Columba livia 'feral')

As the freeze continues movement across the garden increases. 2 Redwing, 2 Fieldfare, 2 Parakeets, and 13 Wood pigeon. 2 Goldfinch returned to the feeders. The Feral pigeon was also seen in flight.

Tick totals
:t: = 0 :king: = 0 B :) = 1

Last edited:
15/01

19 Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)

2 Collared Dove seen in flight from a tree at the back of the garden.
Also 2 Fieldfare, 2 Redwing, 4 Great tit, 3 Blue tit, 2 Feral Pigeon, 1 Chaffinch.

Good numbers of gulls Herring and Black Headed from Beddington Farm heading for their roost.

Attachments

• West Sutton Fieldfare 1.jpg
    West Sutton Fieldfare 1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 85
  • West Sutton Fieldfare 2.jpg
    West Sutton Fieldfare 2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 76
  • West Sutton Redwing 1.jpg
    West Sutton Redwing 1.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
22/01

20 Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
21 Eurasian Jay (Garrulus glandarius)

The Grey Heron flew West. Jay was in a tree. Also Fieldfare, 2 Ring Necked Parakeet, 2 Blue Tit, 1 Collared Dove, Robin, Blackbird. A steady passage of Black Headed and Herring Gull, 29 Wood Pigeon, .and flock of 32 Starling.

Attachments

• West Sutton Blue tit 2.jpg
    West Sutton Blue tit 2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 81
23/01

22 Dunnock (Prunella modularis)
23 Blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla)

This is the 2nd record of this species in my garden. I did not expect to record this species. The male was happily feeding on rotten apples I had left on a feeder tray. The pic was taken through a window and in poor light.

A flock of 51 Starling, and 4 Goldfinch in the Alder today also 1F Chaffinch, 1 Collared Dove, 19 Wood Pigeon in trees, 2 Blackbird, 3 Carrion Crow, 3 Blue and 2 Great tits. A few Black Headed and Herring Gulls (The tip was not working at Beddington Farm today).

Attachments

• West Sutton Blackcap 1.jpg
    West Sutton Blackcap 1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 78
  • West Sutton Chaffinch 1.jpg
    West Sutton Chaffinch 1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 71
  • West Sutton Dunnock 1.jpg
    West Sutton Dunnock 1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
24/01

24 Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus)

An adult and 2 immature circled the garden this am... Also 4 Collared Dove, 2 Feral Pigeon, 3 Blue Tit, 1 Great tit, 1 Robin, 7 Starling, 1 Magpie, 3 Carrion Crow, 1 Blackbird, 1 Dunnock. A few Black Headed and Herring gulls.

29/01

25 Coal Tit (Periparus ater)

1 Coal Tit on sunflower heart feeder. 1 Fieldfare, 2 Robin, 2 Blackbird, 3 Blue Tit, 2 Great Tit, 1 Collared Dove, 1 Dunnock, 3 Feral Pigeon, 5 Starling and 20 Wood Pigeon (Trees and flight).

30/01

26 Common Gull (Larus canus canus) B :)

My second garden tick of the year the 1st winter bird obliging by sitting on a roof.

1 Blackcap, 2 Robin again, 1 Fieldfare, 1 Magpie, 1 Blackbird, 1 Dunnock, 1 Great tit, 1 Blue tit, 7 Wood pigeon, 3 Starling.

:t: = 0 :king: = 0 B :) = 2

Attachments

• West Sutton Common Gull 1.jpg
    West Sutton Common Gull 1.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 73
  • West Sutton Blackcap 2.jpg
    West Sutton Blackcap 2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 68
  • West Sutton Herring Gull 1.jpg
    West Sutton Herring Gull 1.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 79
========================================JANUARY===============================================

With snow falling from the 6th and remaining for over a week things were looking grim for the birds with food scarce. I stepped up my efforts to keep the feeders stocked and snow free to enable maximum feeding potential for my feathered friends. The only other major event at the end of the month which effected the garden was the passing on of my next door neighbours cat.

I took counts once a day around dawn and or dusk I recorded 26 species during the month (I managed to photograph seventeen species) compared with thirty eight species on my life garden list. It just shows what can be seen if a little extra attention is paid. The species count included two new garden ticks Fieldfare and Common Gull. The Fieldfare has been a regular visitor to the garden.

Other regular visitors to the garden were Blue and Great tit, Blackbird, Robin, Wood Pigeon, and Starling. Carrion Crow, Herring Gull and Black Headed Gull were seen on a daily basis. Lesser black backed Gull less frequently. The majority of gulls were seen in flight commuting to and from Beddington Farm.

A male Blackcap was seen three times on the feeders visiting more regularly at the end of the month. A Grey Heron was seen flying west on the 22nd this bird I would imagine was commuting from Beddington farm. Redwings were seen on six days up until the middle of the month. Two Robins were present for the last couple of days in the month. I wonder if they will remain together and eventually breed. Two Dunnock were also noted on the 31st. Goldfinches were seen irregularly with four seen in the Alder on the 23rd. The first Coal tit was noted on the 29th two birds having been seen regularly during 2009. Rose Ringed Parakeets were also infrequent visitors to the nut feeder.

One species that appears to have declined is the House Sparrow with only two sightings of single birds during the month. Up to six birds used to be regularly seen visiting feeders.

A squirrel and a fox were the only none feathered visitors to the garden.

I wonder what next month will bring............

Month total :eek!: = 26

Attachments

• West Sutton Rose Ringed Parakeet 2.jpg
    West Sutton Rose Ringed Parakeet 2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 73
  • West Sutton Black Headed Gull 1.jpg
    West Sutton Black Headed Gull 1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 73
  • West Sutton Collared Dove 1.jpg
    West Sutton Collared Dove 1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 69
  • West Sutton Carrion Crow 1.jpg
    West Sutton Carrion Crow 1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
03/02

27 Eurasian Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes)

The male Blackcap is a daily visitor to the fat pellets. Two Robins and two Dunnock are also regularly seen.

Attachments

• West Sutton Wren 1.jpg
    West Sutton Wren 1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 71
24/02

28 Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus)

After a quiet month in the garden 2 Long Tailed tits were a welcome addition to my garden year list. 2 Male House Sparrow were visitors this morning this species is a rare site this year. A Coal tit and a Female Chaffinch were other hi-lites of my observations.

I have now photographed 22 of the 28 species recorded in my garden this year. Grey Heron, Song Thrush, Jay, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Magpie, and Feral Pigeon are absent from my photo list.

Attachments

• West Sutton Long Tailed Tit 1.jpg
    West Sutton Long Tailed Tit 1.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 69
  • West Sutton House Sparrow 2.jpg
    West Sutton House Sparrow 2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 59
  • West Sutton Coal Tit 2.jpg
    West Sutton Coal Tit 2.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 78
  • West Sutton Great tit 1.JPG
    West Sutton Great tit 1.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
========================================FEBRUARY===============================================
A quiet month in the garden with 26 species recorded. No new garden ticks this month but two year ticks were recorded in the form of a Wren on the 3rd and 2 Long Tailed Tits feeding on the insect pellets on the 24th. 2 male House Sparrow were also noted on the 24th. The male Blackcap was seen regularly at the beginning of the month. This bird is clearly wintering nearby. A Coal tit continued to make appearances on the feeders. Redwing and Fieldfare made a couple of appearances. A male and female Blackbird were seen daily towards the end of the month. Wood Pigeon counts peaked at 52 (45 flying W to roost) on the 21st. Goldfinch and Rose Ringed Parakeet were infrequent visitors.

Other regular species in the garden included 2 Robins, 2 Great tits, Blue Tit, 2 Dunnock, a female Chaffinch, 3 Carrion Crows. Gulls continued to commute to and from Beddington Farm. I keep looking out for a rare white winger but the Farm has not had one this year bar Mediterranean Gulls.

The squirrel continues to make an appearance and cat movements through the garden are minimal.

Month total 26

Year List total 28

Attachments

• West Sutton Magpie 1.jpg
    West Sutton Magpie 1.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 73
  • West Sutton Blackbird 2.jpg
    West Sutton Blackbird 2.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
06/03

29 Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) B :)

Flying E across the back of the garden this afternoon. I'm certain I have missed this species on a regular basis in the past. A garden tick which is well overdue.

:t: = 0 :king: = 0 B :) = 3

09/03

30 Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)

Four birds flew SE at 1615hrs only the second garden record of this species.

Other sightings today 1 Fieldfare, 1 Coal tit, 1m Blackcap, 1 Goldfinch, 2 Great tit, 2 Blue tit, 28 Wood pigeon (22 W), 1 Robin, 1 Magpie, 1m Blackbird, 18 Starling.

Large numbers of mixed gull flocks (prob due to low cloud) no white winger though.

========================================MARCH===============================

A quiet month which produced another garden tick on the 6th in the form of a Greater Black backed Gull this is a species which im sure has been overlooked in the past. A Fieldfare continued to make irregular appearances at the beginning of the month. Four Canada Geese were seen flying SE on the 9th, this was the second record of this species over my garden. Twenty two Wood Pigeon were observed in a single flock flying W on the same day. The male Blackcap continued to visit the insect fat pellet feeder throughout the month. Coal Tit was another regular visitor. Long tailed tits were irregularly noted on the feeders. The male and female Blackbirds and the two Robins were also regular visitors to the garden. The niger feeder attracted regular visitors but only a couple of sightings of Goldfinch were noted.

The squirrel continued to visit and the arrival of a new cat next door was the only other visitor to the garden

Month Total = (To follow)

21/04

31 European Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris)

Having arrived home in the early hours from a birding expedition to Colombia via France after a very testing 36 hour plane, train, bus, ferry and car journey. A refreshing lie in prompted my first garden watch of the month. A Greenfinch was heard and then seen in the Alder and then in the back garden. Unfortunately my camera was still packed away but im sure this species will return. A Grey Heron was also noted flying low E. The two Robins are now busy feeding young which is a welcome sight. I am now supplying worms on a feeder tray to assist the busy parents and of course it helps to get the garden dug over! The pair of Blackbirds were also present but not as industrious as the Robins.

22/04

As predicted the Greenfinch returned and bought along 3 pals for a feast of Niger and sunflower seed!! My new bird bath has also proved to be an instant hit.

Attachments

• West Sutton Greenfinch 2.jpg
    West Sutton Greenfinch 2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 64
  • West Sutton Greenfinch 1.jpg
    West Sutton Greenfinch 1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
29/04

32 Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus)
33 Common Swift (Apus apus)
34 House Martin (Delichon urbica)

Got in from work saw low cloud and patches of mizzle / rain... Garden watch time!! I recorded 18 species between 1600 and 1800hrs:-

Peregrine x1, Swift x18, House Martin x5, Grey Heron x2 (1 with primary feathers missing), Rose ringed Parakeet x3, Carrion Crow x4, Herring Gull x2, Collared Dove x1, Goldfinch x2, Greenfinch x1, Blue tit x2, Great tit x1, Feral Pigeon x2, Starling x3, Wood Pigeon x6, Blackbird x1, Robin x1, Magpie x1.

The Peregrine is the second record for the garden and its the first time i've seen two Grey Herons.

Attachments

• West Sutton Grey Heron 1.jpg
    West Sutton Grey Heron 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 73
  • West Sutton Peregrine 1.jpg
    West Sutton Peregrine 1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 72
  • West Sutton Peregrine 3.jpg
    West Sutton Peregrine 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 67
  • West Sutton House Martin 1.jpg
    West Sutton House Martin 1.jpg