• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (15 Viewers)

Hello,

My previous thread, "A rank beginner in New York," has been closed because of lack of posts. I am alive and well but circumstances have prevented me from visiting Central Park and other local spots.

However, I am still bird watching, from my flat's window. I live fewer than 200 metres from Broadway and not far far from the Hudson River. I also look out at a rather large private garden. Feeding birds is strictly forbidden by the management, so all my sightings are of birds who arrive of their own accord without inducements.

This morning I saw a gray catbird and a white throated sparrow. Recently, last week, I spotted a hermit thrush and quite likely a wood thrush. I also saw a northern flicker on the ground, outside. The northern flicker frequently forages on the ground, which confused me, when I first saw one. Without the help of another bird watcher, I would not have realised that it was woodpecker.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
I would like to send you “inducements”. Strictly in accordance of the right of free passage of wild life. They were there before the buildings. I wish you well

Cheers
David

Hello,

The overlap between winter spring has increased my daily tally. I even saw a hermit thrush in the garden of my block of flats. After I hurt my toe, I avoided the Reservoir but Friday's trip still allowed me to see female hooded mergansers, not quite ruddy, ruddy ducks, American coots and buffleheads.

Many of the American goldfinches have turned quite golden but not all. I was delighted to see golden crown kinglets with very visible crowns. Today, I saw my first black crowned night heron of the season, hiding near the shore of the Lake.

Stay safe,
Arthur
goldfinch.jpggolden crowned Kinglet.jpgnight heron.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

Holy Week had me rather busy, but I have seen the usual species, as many as twenty in a day. This week, the only new species for the year have been a northern mockingbird and a chipping sparrow. The latter is a transient but the former has been attracted to the garden of my block of flats.

mockingbird.jpgchipping sparrow.jpg
Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

In the last week, some new birds, including the migrating warblers: a rusty blackbird, a Louisiana waterthrush, a palm warbler, a pine warbler, and a pair of great horned owls have returned to Central Park. rusty blackbirds.jpgLouisiana waterthrush.jpgpalm warbler.jpgPine warblers.jpgGreat horned owl.jpg
All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Eaton's Birds of New York, 1912-1914.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hi Arthur - a month or so ago I was looking at making a stopover in NYC en route to attending a company meeting on the West Coast. Ended up ruling it out because of costs, but the opportunities for peregrine-watching (which occupies a large proportion of my leisure hours here in London) seem very good - quite a few territories in Manhattan and elsewhere, and (it seems) good opportunities to watch them hunting over the rivers, as captured by the BBC in the "Cities" episode of the Planet Earth II series. I hope to be able to see that for myself in the not too distant future - I'll drop you a message when I can make it across.

Hello,

The warbler season has arrived but I am always behind ardent bird watchers in seeing them. Today, I did manage to get a glimpse of a blue winged warbler but I have not seem those which have delighted others. However, in the past week, I did see a pair of gadwalls, not just a female, which I probably misidentified; I had two sightings of a brown thrasher, and one of a purple finch. Today, a male brown headed cowbird took me by surprise.

blue winged.jpggadwall, male.jpggadwall,female.jpgPurple finch, male.jpgcowbird.jpg

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Last week, I failed to mention sightings of a brown thrasher. This week, I did see a female brown headed cowbird See previous post. In the last week, I have a northern parula, a hooded warbler, a blue headed vireo and a swamp sparrow.

brown thrasher.jpgNorthern Parula.jpghooded warbler.jpgSwamp sparrow.jpg
All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

The migratory season proceeds, slowly for me, as usual. In the past week, I saw a black throat green warbler; a ruby throated hummingbird, which whizzed past me at Azalea Pond, and an ovenbird, a black and white warbler. Unexpectedly, a pair of Black throated green.jpgHummingbird, ruby throated II.jpgovenbird.jpgblack and white warbler.jpgswan.jpeg appeared on the lake for the first time in years. About ten years, ago, the Conservancy destroyed the swans' nesting habitat on a little island on Central Park's Lake. Prior to that, swans visited and nested annually.

More soon.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Let me catch up. Last week, I did see a northern waterthrush, a Baltimore Oriole, and an American redstart.

northern waterthrush.jpgoriole, Baltimore.jpgAmerican redstart.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back