• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild Bird (1 Viewer)

Hi all, not typically a major fan of birds (rats are my special interest) more than most folk, but I have a query. Or a couple. Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I’m very new to this forum and just saw that it said ‘wild birds’.

Some family friends found a supposedly ‘abandoned’ baby bird and managed to somehow capture it; despite my assumptions and assurances from the internet that it is likely a fledgling and that it’s parents are nearby and it will be fine a few days, it is now currently in our care. We do not have any background in raising or rescuing birds, which is why I am already resigning myself to the fact that this can only end poorly.

The bird seems to have flight capabilities and the eyes are open (the internet suggests this is a trait of fledglings). It seems it can be held comfortably in hands without it trying to panic or escape.

What species of bird is it? Should I try to convince my family/family friends to return the bird as soon as possible (which would still be tomorrow at a minimum, but is a very, very unlikely outcome)? Who do I call (we are in Northern Ireland) if rehabilitation is required for the bird and what is their number and/or email? What do we feed it and how often? Is there any illnesses I need to be concerned about? Would a charity like Assissi be able to help us?

I can probably pay for a vet if necessary, it’s just a matter of persuading some stubborn family friends and finding an avian vet.

IMG_4983.jpeg

Looks like a Great Tit. I'd share your qualms in catching it, parents were probably around & wondering where it went. Maybe too late to put it back. Unless a fledgling/chick is in immediate danger it shouldn't be 'rescued' but left to the ministrations of parent birds.
Given where things have reached, it might be worth trying to put the chick back for the parent birds to find, depends how many days since it was found.
In future I would strongly recommend leaving things as they are... but I think you know that. Just need to convince friends/family friends that you are right.

Hi RatFriendOfBirds and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

My first thought was Coal Tit too. It is certainly on the cusp of fledging, even if it had fallen out of the nest. It is a shame that your friends "rescued" him really. However, the deed is done and if you don't think it possible to put him back, then try to get some mealworms to feed him. Unless you think you can find some caterpillars.

We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. I hope you have a wildlife rescue near you, as they should be able to advise and assist you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I would strongly suggest you return it to where it was found. Do you have a wildlife centre nearby?
So far, I’ve had no luck finding any places nearby but I’ll try to get in touch with a few places that might be able to at least point me in the right direction tomorrow morning.

As for food, I know somebody recommended mealworms and caterpillars, but is it alright if the mealworms are dry or do they need to be alive? What else can I feed the bird in a pinch?

As for food, I know somebody recommended mealworms and caterpillars, but is it alright if the mealworms are dry or do they need to be alive? What else can I feed the bird in a pinch?
Live ones would be better, but not everyone can handle them and they're not so easy to get hold of as dried ones (at least here that is). Dried ones will at least give them some protein.

Tinned cat food would be OK (not dog food).

Please let us know how you get on.

Hi all.
Good news, I believe I have managed to convince my family friends to return the bird back where they have found it! We’ll be moving it back in the evening, when they’re back home from work/school, so that they can still keep an eye on the bird from a distance just in case.

One last update.

Unfortunately, the poor bird didn’t survive at the end. One family member of mine thinks that the bird was actually pushed out of the nest on purpose (I believe it was found in a sandbox near a tree, but not completely under it), because it turns out there was small bugs on the bird and could have possibly been ill already; though I do believe the stress from taking it from it’s home played a major part as well.

Not a good ending, as expected, but I’ve been able to somewhat educate two of the younger family friends (who really didn’t know any better) on the difference between nestlings and fledglings, along with young birds being found on the ground not necessarily being a bad thing, so we should hopefully be able to avoid a similar situation in the future.

Hi RFOB, that's very sad to hear. Well done, though, in taking the opportunity to educate the other family on what to do if they encounter a similar situation. If you could print off the information I gave you in Post #5 about Baby and Injured Birds, it may help them to retain the information.

It's sad too, that you didn't see the bugs, as most vets will treat wildlife in an emergency for free (not on-going treatment though, usually anyway). Or they would advise on the best course of action. Maybe putting to sleep is the best option, though always a hard decision to make.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back