• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Find a Wallcreeper (1 Viewer)

National Wallcreeper 'Days'...might be more promising than just the one! If you consider all the private quarries that the general public don't have access to, the miles of sea cliff around our coast that might be better viewed off shore, plus all the 'tall buildings' nationally from Saxon Churches to the 'Gherkin'. Bit of a 'tall order' to say the least.
Another consideration might be a National...'Hunt your local Long Tailed Tit flock Day!
as they do take 'passengers' YBW, Pallas's Warbler, Firecrest, Black & White Warbler.
What else might be attached to a winter flock?

National Wallcreeper 'Days'...might be more promising than just the one! If you consider all the private quarries that the general public don't have access to, the miles of sea cliff around our coast that might be better viewed off shore, plus all the 'tall buildings' nationally from Saxon Churches to the 'Gherkin'. Bit of a 'tall order' to say the least.
Another consideration might be a National...'Hunt your local Long Tailed Tit flock Day!
as they do take 'passengers' YBW, Pallas's Warbler, Firecrest, Black & White Warbler.

It would be nice to see any of the above in a tit flock. But I think the idea of this thread was to get birders out looking for one of the most amazing wanted birds on the British list, being there has not been a twitch able Wallcreeper for over 30years.

I'm still up for it! I take it by your defeatist view above your not?

It would be nice to see any of the above in a tit flock. But I think the idea of this thread was to get birders out looking for one of the most amazing wanted birds on the British list, being there has not been a twitch able Wallcreeper for over 30years.

I'm still up for it! I take it by your defeatist view above your not? ;)

It would be nice to see any of the above in a tit flock. But I think the idea of this thread was to get birders out looking for one of the most amazing & wanted birds on the British list, being there has not been a twitchable Wallcreeper for over 30years.

I'm still up for it! I take it your not Ken ;)

Last edited:
I've always been an 'eternal optimist' as far as connecting with 'interesting' birds is concerned and there's no doubt that the more you put in.....the more you get out! As far as WC is concerned it would probably take 'enforced mobilisation' then commited with a religious zeal of the the nations birders, every weekend between now and March end with 'every accessible vertical' covered, to realise any return, be it positive or negative. From an historic perspective, the South Coast might deserve the closest attention as I believe the last 5 records emanate from that region?

It would be nice to see any of the above in a tit flock. But I think the idea of this thread was to get birders out looking for one of the most amazing & wanted birds on the British list, being there has not been a twitchable Wallcreeper for over 30years.

I'm still up for it! I take it your not Ken ;)

I'm sure most birders/twitchers wouldn't turn their nose up at seeing a Wallcreeper in Britain, regardless of whether they've seen one before or not. It is surely (one of) the best species on the British List?

The idea was just to get as many people as poss to check habitats and areas that may just hold one of these beasts. I'm sure a lot of the suitable habitat is probably very underwatched at the best of times.

I shall be out looking next weekend, hopefully a few others will embrace the challenge too. I haven't (yet!) seen a Wallcreeper in Britain but have seen a few abroad and very much looking forward to on on British soil/rock....

The main prob with the south coast has to be accessibility....there's not a lot of cliff-faces you can actually get a good look at. Need someone with a boat. Now that would be a good money maker if one was found and only visible from the sea...!!

I'll check Bury St Eds sugar beet factory... so you can tick that one off.

Canne think of any other big vertical buildings locally apart from the Cathedral?! Is that worth checking?

This is well exciting - whats the rules? Do we need to have a mass check at a designated time e.g. mid-morning every Saturday then report back?

This is well exciting - whats the rules? Do we need to have a mass check at a designated time e.g. mid-morning every Saturday then report back?

No rules, just get out there and check any vaguely suitable habbo this weekend and find one B :)

No need to report back, just put the news out if you find one!!!

Last edited:
Where those White headed Long-tailed Tits a few years ago? There's a nice chalk cliff with a layby. Did I read somewhere they winter in Cypus.

I've also heard stories of them scuttling about on the deck in fields in Spain and on the Hortobage.

good luck to anyone going to look, they're hard enough to find where they are present (or at least they are so far this year!)

As Dan knows I didn't find any in a distant scan of the walls of Hurst Castle - it was a token effort to be honest; next year more effort required for national wallcreeper day ( a bit like national moth night)!

a

Noticed the other day that garden spiders were still alive near the south coast, but inland they now seemed to have died off, presumably due to the recent frosts. Therefore a Wallcreeper would be more likely to be found on suitable habitat, in areas where there was some protection from the harshest weather, like coastal counties (as per UK records show). Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back