• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favorite 8-10X Canon IS for woodland birding (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

I use a Fujinon 14x40 IS for more distant birding and a Zeiss FL 8x32 for closer birding.
If I replaced the 8x32 with an 8-10X IS for lighter weight and greater FOV than the fuji,
which Canon would be your choice?

Just looking at specs, it seems like the 10x32IS at 2/3 the price ad weight of the 10x42 would be a good choice.

thanks,
edj

Last edited:
I use all three x32 models, 10x / 12x / 14x, but use the 10x much more than the others and find it's optics and IS very well balanced. The much cheaper and still available "predecessor", 10x30 IS II, is also good (esp. considering its price) and has the same FOV, but I find the IS much better in the 10x32.
The only 8x model, 8x20, might also be an option but, with it small EP, cannot really compete with the 10x32 either.
The 10x42 would be the best available IS bino that I know (also optically), but is clearly bulkier, heavier, and pricier.
So yes, I think the 10x32 could be a good option for you.

I have had ALL the Canon IS binoculars. I would recommend the Canon 10x30 IS II. I disagree with Canip above because I found the IS in the 10x30 IS II to be every bit as good as the Canon 10x32 IS. The optics in the Canon 10x30 IS II are surprisingly good. The trouble with the Canon 10x32 IS is it has huge, horrible eye cups which are very uncomfortable. I would not recommend the Canon 10x32 IS to anybody for that reason. Here is a reviewer on B&H that agrees with me.

"8/12/2019

Strongly prefer the Canon 10x30 IS II binos which are less $​

ByJames
Verified Buyer
Size:10x32
I have owned the Canon 10x30 IS and the 10x30 IS II for years and generally like them. They are light, relatively comfortable to hold and use, and the IS works well. I bought the new 10x32 IS binos with high hopes, but returned them. The huge eye cups are horrible and very uncomfortable. My nose was squeezed between them and my eyes are wide apart. The image quality seemed barely better than the ISx30, but not that you would notice normally. The extra IS mechanism seems a marketing stunt rather than an essential improvement. I do like my 10x30 IS binos and recommend you save your $$ and get those instead of the 10x32s."

While I understand the desire for a lower power, wider field for woodland birding, I've been using 12x Canons (12x36 and then 12x32) for about 20 years now and do mostly woodland birding. At first, I missed the wide, 8-degree field of my 7x42 pair, but I adapted to the narrower true field and just love the improved views, and easier identifications, at 12x.

They eyecups on the newer 10, 12, and 14x32s are a puzzle and I don't understand the reasoning behind them. Fortunately, I wear glasses and they are just perfect folded down. I tried a suggestion someone made for folks not wearing glasses - fold only the inner half down. It worked well for me, but YMMV.

Clear skies, Alan

While I understand the desire for a lower power, wider field for woodland birding, I've been using 12x Canons (12x36 and then 12x32) for about 20 years now and do mostly woodland birding. At first, I missed the wide, 8-degree field of my 7x42 pair, but I adapted to the narrower true field and just love the improved views, and easier identifications, at 12x.

They eyecups on the newer 10, 12, and 14x32s are a puzzle and I don't understand the reasoning behind them. Fortunately, I wear glasses and they are just perfect folded down. I tried a suggestion someone made for folks not wearing glasses - fold only the inner half down. It worked well for me, but YMMV.

Clear skies, Alan
The eye cups are horrendous on the 10,12, and 14x32. I am glad you agree with me. I have heard folding down the inner half works for eyeglass wearers. The Canon 12x36 IS III are one of the better Canon's, with a good compromise of power and size. You're correct in that you have to adapt to the smaller FOV and it harder finding the bird, but once you find them the stabilized view at 12x is very nice, and you can see a lot of detail. Outside of the Canon 10x42 IS Canon's are not alpha level optics and the Canon 12x36 IS III does have quite a bit of CA on the edge, but they are very good optically overall and the IS elevates them above normal binoculars for seeing detail. Here is a good thread from Cloudy Night's talking about how horrible the eye cups are on the Canon 10x32 IS.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back