• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x42 birder question (1 Viewer)

edwincjones

My most used binoculars for birding are the Zeiss 8x32FL and the Fujinon 14x40 TS-X
and I am considering the Canon 10x42 to compliment.
On paper this seems reasonable with 8/10/14X and 8/6.5/4 degree FOV
BUT
In the field, as a practical use, is this reasonable?
Are the Canons and Fujinons too much duplication?

thanks for your responses
edj

My most used binoculars for birding are the Zeiss 8x32FL and the Fujinon 14x40 TS-X
BUT

edj
I just got a pair of Sig Sauer 16x40 image stabilizer binocs and I love them.

BUT

edj
No. I think if you like Fujinon14x40TS-X you will like the Canon 10x42 IS-L also. The Canon will give you a bigger FOV, and it is a superb IS binocular, but it is a little big and bulky to carry but if you are used to the Fujnon's the Canon's will be about the same. You already have a very nice lower power 8x in the Zeiss Fl 8x32 for closer in birding and perhaps when you are hiking longer distances. I have had almost all the IS binoculars, and you have two of the best at different magnifications, and you have one of the best 8x32 binoculars, so I think your combination of three binoculars is excellent.

That is probably something only you can decide.
If you use the Fuji where it has it‘s particular strength - e.g. on a boat, or on the move or in a vehicle where it can play its particular strength with its superb image stabilization -, you might add the Canon for more stationary observation where it only needs to compensate for hand shake, tremor etc. (the Canon is great for that), the two might then both make sense, and the FL would be the small take-along bino for overview etc.
If you don’t really use the Fuji much on moving vehicles etc., the Canon would probably render the Fuji obsolete (optically, the Canon is the best IS binocular I have ever seen and my guess would be that you would not use Fuji much any more once you got the Canon).

Canip

the Canon would probably render the Fuji obsolete (optically, the Canon is the best IS binocular I have ever seen and my guess would be that you would not use Fuji much any more once you got the Canon).

Canip

:(:( my worry also that it would be one or the other but not both

edj

Just one caveat: the ergonomics of the Canon (esp eyecups and body shape/size) are not to everybody‘s liking, so you may still prefer the Fuji in the end, despite the better optics of the Canon. Your choice!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back