• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia this April, 2011 (1 Viewer)

jimbob

Good Evening,
My girlfriend and I are off to Estonia next month, so as well as asking for some advice I thought I would begin to document resources I am using to help plan the trip, and of course a trip report will follow here and in the trip reports section of the forum. Hopefully this thread can become an up-to-date resource for anyone looking to travel to Estonia.

Trip reports I have come across so far:
http://www.freewebs.com/widerscoped/estoniamarch2009.htm
http://www.avengerpenguins.com/estonia.html

Our dates are April 2011, 12th-19th. We are doing some bits ourselves, and some with a guide. Estonian Nature Tours: http://www.naturetours.ee/ have been very helpful so far, and we are using one of their guides for 2 days of the 7. we are picking up a rental car from Tallinn and heading to Haapsalu, Saareema Island, Parnu (2 nights), Tartu (2 nights) and back to the capital.
I have used Gerard Gormans excellent guide to birding in Eastern Europe alongside Dave Gosney's DVD and book 'Finding birds in Estonia'. This is newly published and gave us a real feel for the country. We have a pretty good idea what to expect (I think!) but if anything we don't want to stick too closely to these and are keen to explore and find our own birds.

We do not have any particular birding targets, although Steller's Eider, Great Snipe, Hazel Hen, Woodpeckers and Owls would be fantastic! Estonia appears to be a good destination for mammal watching too; Flying Squirrel, Racoon Dog and Beaver are all present.

If any birders in Estonia or fellow travellers can provide any information on the wildlife present at the moment I would really appreciate it; we have a guide to Saareema and Parnu or Tartu, but the rest will be independent travelling and of course we want to make the most of it. In terms of migrants, what birds might have arrived, and which will we be too early for? We have rough maps for Parnu and Tartu, but these look like huge areas that could be difficult to bird. Am I right?! Any tips appreciated. I have probably been quite vague here, but really any information is useful to us.

More updates to follow, thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to contribute.
Cheers,
Jim.

I've just spent an enjoyable weekend birding around Tartu with Rein from Natourest. The thaw is just starting to set in, so it's an interesting time to be around. Highlights this weekend included both Ural and Pygmy Owls, six species of woodpecker (including Three-toed, White-backed, Black and Grey-headed), Nutcracker, Capercaillie, Cranes, White Stork and White-tailed Eagle. We did quite well to get the owls because numbers seem to be low at the moment after a hard winter.

There's still a lot of snow around and the lakes are all frozen. With a few more days of double figure temperatures forecast this should change. Loads of migrants had come in today (finches, thrushes, skylarks) and they all looked a bit bewildered by the deep covering of snow. The roads in the forests are starting to deteriorate and this is something to take into account on your trip. Although this is the best time of year for a lot of forest birds, it's also the worst time of year to get to the places that are best for them.

Glad you had a good time Andrew, some great species there!
Did you use tape luring for any of the Owls or Woodpeckers? I am thinking this might be the way to go in the forests, but then again it is the breeding season and it may be better to rely on good 'ol fieldcraft and some early mornings/late nights!
Cheers,
Jim.

Glad you had a good time Andrew, some great species there!
Did you use tape luring for any of the Owls or Woodpeckers? I am thinking this might be the way to go in the forests, but then again it is the breeding season and it may be better to rely on good 'ol fieldcraft and some early mornings/late nights!
Cheers,
Jim.

The Ural Owl was just a chance encounter. We used tapes for the Pygmy Owl and to some extent for the woodpeckers, although these were around in the right spots. It's probably a useful strategy in moderation, particularly for Pygmy Owls. I'm not convinced that tapes work as well with woodpeckers, although Black Woodpeckers seem to respond quite vigorously.

Thanks for that info Andrew.
All set for the trip now, I will try to update this thread whilst there if possible.
I have read that Hawk Owls have been present in Estonia this winter- anyone any details?
Cheers,
Jim.

I have read that Hawk Owls have been present in Estonia this winter- anyone any details?

At least three birds, one on Saaremaa, two on nearby mainland - all were one day birds as far as I know (or more to the point, probably not looked for again - birder density is low and Hawk Owl, whilst a very good bird, occurs many winters). They also had a Snowy Owl on the ice between the islands and mainland and a number of Great Grey Owls, most inthe north-east and none gettable I believe.

Update on Andrew's comments, lakes will still be frozen - even here in Lithuania, 600 km further south, most major lakes are still totally frozen. I also heard that the ice road to Huuma is still open, so that's the sea still frozen.

Big migration here in recent days, hundreds of geese etc moving north - think you are in for some good days ahead.

Last edited:
At least three birds, one on Saaremaa, two on nearby mainland - all were one day birds as far as I know (or more to the point, probably not looked for again - birder density is low and Hawk Owl, whilst a very good bird, occurs many winters). They also had a Snowy Owl on the ice between the islands and mainland and a number of Great Grey Owls, most inthe north-east and none gettable I believe.

Update on Andrew's comments, lakes will still be frozen - even here in Lithuania, 600 km further south, most major lakes are still totally frozen. I also heard that the ice road to Huuma is still open, so that's the sea still frozen.

Big migration here in recent days, hundreds of geese etc moving north - think you are in for some good days ahead.

Thanks for the update Jos. Cannot wait to get out there and explore. If I do find anything of note, is there a local birdline number I can use? Or perhaps best to contact our tour guide?
Jim.

Thanks for the update Jos. Cannot wait to get out there and explore. If I do find anything of note, is there a local birdline number I can use? Or perhaps best to contact our tour guide?
Jim.

This site provides rare bird updates and has a contact link (never used it).

It will also give you an idea what's about - it's in Estonian, but Latin names fortunately also used.

http://www.estbirding.ee/home

If you haven't already seen this site, this page of the site may be of interest to you.

http://www.estbirding.ee/birding-in-estonia/

Cold here this weekend but a lot of the snow has now gone. Lots of ducks, geese, swans and passerines pouring through and quite a lot of raptors moving. Am off to look for Steller's Eiders today, which are apparently still around.

If you're wanting to do some forest birding, the roads around Nigula in southwest Estonia are all fine at the moment and there's good forest and wetland birding all around. We had a very obliging White-backed Woodpecker just by the start of the boardwalk at Nigula, near the yellow cabin. If you visit then with a bit of patience they're likely to be easily seen there.

Nigula is definately a spot we are looking to explore, so thanks for the information. Our flight gets in Tuesday morning and from there we are headed to the west coast and are staying near somewhere near Dirhami, Matsalu. Good place to start off by the sounds of it!
Jim.

Nigula is definately a spot we are looking to explore, so thanks for the information. Our flight gets in Tuesday morning and from there we are headed to the west coast and are staying near somewhere near Dirhami, Matsalu. Good place to start off by the sounds of it!
Jim.

And we're heading to Matsalu tomorrow, so should be able to give you an update. Had some difficulties with Steller's Eider today, but we did manage to see one! It was just the one though - a nice drake. I'm not really sure where the rest of them were, as there are still supposed to be good numbers around and we looked along much of what we think are the right coastal areas. We may have been hampered by the strong and rather cold winds. Some other nice birds in the Undva area e.g. Rough-legged Buzzard, Great Grey Shrike, two White-tailed Eagles and stacks of seaduck.

Had some difficulties with Steller's Eider today, but we did manage to see one! It was just the one though - a nice drake. I'm not really sure where the rest of them were, as there are still supposed to be good numbers around and we looked along much of what we think are the right coastal areas.

I think the whole area freezing up earlier in the winter scattered them about more than average, the usual and best place is the very tip of Undva. Also, mid-April is just about when they should leave Estonia I believe, so it is possible some shifted with the good migration conditions a week back.

There was an Alpine Accentor on Undva a little while back, an outstanding record for the Baltics.

We may have been hampered by the strong and rather cold winds.

Some other nice birds in the Undva area e.g. Rough-legged Buzzard, Great Grey Shrike, two White-tailed Eagles and stacks of seaduck.

Two White-tailed Eagles is a little on the low side for this species too at Undva, possibly the weather conditions may have been keeping them down too (?). Not much relevance to Estonia, but one adult over my land today.

I think the whole area freezing up earlier in the winter scattered them about more than average, the usual and best place is the very tip of Undva. Also, mid-April is just about when they should leave Estonia I believe, so it is possible some shifted with the good migration conditions a week back.

There was an Alpine Accentor on Undva a little while back, an outstanding record for the Baltics.

We did look in that area! Also, we were told that quite a few had been around the previous day, so not too sure where we went wrong.

I managed 13 White-tailed Eagles at once at Matsalu today, so made up a little for the low numbers at Undva. A cold and wet day, which made things hard work. If visiting Matsalu, the best spots seem to be the tower at Keemu north of Matsalu village (those WTEs were from there, and there are good numbers of duck, though most at a distance) and the Kloostri area east of the Matsalu visitor centre. The tower there is inaccessible but large numbers of ducks and swans were on the floods. Also visited the tower near Kinkukula but there wasn't too much there (views from the tower are good though) and the bog at Tuhu to the south of Matsalu. Only saw a handful of birds at the latter, but these included Crane and Great Grey Shrike. Apparently the tower at Haeska on the north shore is worth a look, as there's some free water on the bay around there.

Great first day.driving out of tallin was interesting,but beyond the city centre barely anyone is on the road.birds seen on route to the northwest coast include common crane,white stork,2 rough legged buzzard,gg shrike and a possible spotted eagle- is this too early for them? Shed loads of seaduck off dirhami.saremaa tomorrow,matsalu the day after.
More detaIl to follow and please excuse poor grammar,this is being typed on my phone!

Great first day.driving out of tallin was interesting,but beyond the city centre barely anyone is on the road.birds seen on route to the northwest coast include common crane,white stork,2 rough legged buzzard,gg shrike and a possible spotted eagle- is this too early for them? Shed loads of seaduck off dirhami.saremaa tomorrow,matsalu the day after.
More detaIl to follow and please excuse poor grammar,this is being typed on my phone!

We saw a Lesser-spotted Eagle at Nigula last weekend so I guess a few are around. It's quite surprising what can be seen from the roads in Estonia. This morning we saw two female Capercaillies along the main road from Haapsalu to Tallinn. Occasionally even other cars appear.

Yesterday we did the north side of Matsalu, which was pretty good although there's still not a huge amount of open water. In the afternoon we visited Sutlepa where a little open water is just beginning to appear. We heard one or two Bitterns and achieved the record count of the trip for White-tailed Eagles: fifteen. This morning I saw 98 Smew, two Avocets and a White-tailed Eagle from my hotel balcony in Hapsalu.

Have a good trip.

Hi!

You probably ment Dirhami (which is on mainland). That's the only Alpine Accentor accepted in Estonia.

20000 geese around Tartu last weekend. Spotted Eagles coming in. Wildfowl will peak in 2 weeks.

cheers
Uq
There was an Alpine Accentor on Undva a little while back, an outstanding record for the Baltics.[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back