• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ES 100 GA ED v4 Fieldscope (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
Hello. Has anyone had any experience with this scope? It seems reviews of the current version are very thin in the ground but on spec it looks interesting as a sea watch/large area scope where getting closer to the birds isn't possible. Also for a Japanese made scope significantly cheaper than for example a kowa 99 it looks quite interesting. I have a small every day scope but for larger areas its not quite got the reach the opticron 80x zoom and 100mm objective could deliver.

Thanks in advance.

Will

The v4 differs from the v3 only in the addition of dual speed focussing. The v3 gained new coatings compared to v2 so light transmission was improved. Otherwise the optical performance remains the same.

Each unit is checked here in the UK for resolution and various other optical performance characteristics to ensure quality is consistent.

Cheers, Pete

The v4 differs from the v3 only in the addition of dual speed focussing. The v3 gained new coatings compared to v2 so light transmission was improved. Otherwise the optical performance remains the same.

Each unit is checked here in the UK for resolution and various other optical performance characteristics to ensure quality is consistent.

Cheers, Pete
Thanks Pete. Have you sent any out for review as I think it looks an interesting product with the current new crop of 95/99 mm scopes? I think there's probably a few people on here who could give it a decent once over with a lot more expertise than myself!

Thanks Pete. Have you sent any out for review as I think it looks an interesting product with the current new crop of 95/99 mm scopes? I think there's probably a few people on here who could give it a decent once over with a lot more expertise than myself!
This scope used with the zoom gives a very narrow field of view. Would be much better with the high power fixed lens.
Peter.

This scope used with the zoom gives a very narrow field of view. Would be much better with the high power fixed lens.
Peter.
Thanks Peter. I use a fixed on my swaro ctc 30x75 (well it only comes fixed) and used to use one on my old angled field scope too so am looking for higher magnification for long distance work. Any good options in the opticrons price range, 60x + mag? I've always found that for real long distance work, estuaries, large lakes, sea watching etc that a zoom works well as a high fixed mag gets a bit too much like my 8 inch dobsonian when trying to find things!

Thanks Peter. I use a fixed on my swaro ctc 30x75 (well it only comes fixed) and used to use one on my old angled field scope too so am looking for higher magnification for long distance work. Any good options in the opticrons price range, 60x + mag? I've always found that for real long distance work, estuaries, large lakes, sea watching etc that a zoom works well as a high fixed mag gets a bit too much like my 8 inch dobsonian when trying to find things!
Funny, Have just bought A CTC 30x75 and so far it has impressed me with its image as well as the build quality case is pretty neat too.

If your after a zoom with a wide field of view it's going to be expensive ie Swaro,Leica,Kowa or Zeiss.
Peter.

Peter.

Hi,

it should be noted that this is only partially true. The ES100 with a zoom EP will offer a nice and wide apparent field of view (68 deg afov with HDF or SDLv2 zoom, a tad wider with the SDLv3) at its maximum magnification of 80x - provided the quality of the body and the seeing conditions support that magnification.

Below that, the the AFOV goes indeed down to a "looking through a straw" view of 36 deg at minimum magnification of 27x (once again the SDLv3 might be a tad wider).

So a wide angle fixed EP in the 30-40x range along with the zoom comes recommended... part numbers 40810 (30x) or 40831 (40x) fit the bill nicely.

Joachim

Thanks for the input. The ctc's a great scope Peter. As I've said on bf before a small folded size mono pod is very useful with it and it really comes into its own if your in a hide, top tip, rest it with you hand against the verticle part of the window frame and do use the range marking on the zoom before fine focusing visually. I've had mine going on 3 year now as my only scope and other than when looking at really distant subjects it's all the scope you need and can always be with you.

Joachim, yes I was looking at paring it with the Sdlv3.

What I find strange with scopes and am attempting to get round is that with binoculars you can spend say 5-600£ and get 95% of the view, ergonomics and durability of a £2000 pair of bins. Bit the wisdom with scopes seems that if it's not a top end price/brand it's not nearly as good. £1500 for a scope, eye piece, tripod and head still seems enough for a decent set up but there doesn't seem to be many options about, any idea?

Thanks for the input. The ctc's a great scope Peter. As I've said on bf before a small folded size mono pod is very useful with it and it really comes into its own if your in a hide, top tip, rest it with you hand against the verticle part of the window frame and do use the range marking on the zoom before fine focusing visually. I've had mine going on 3 year now as my only scope and other than when looking at really distant subjects it's all the scope you need and can always be with you.

Joachim, yes I was looking at paring it with the Sdlv3.

What I find strange with scopes and am attempting to get round is that with binoculars you can spend say 5-600£ and get 95% of the view, ergonomics and durability of a £2000 pair of bins. Bit the wisdom with scopes seems that if it's not a top end price/brand it's not nearly as good. £1500 for a scope, eye piece, tripod and head still seems enough for a decent set up but there doesn't seem to be many options about, any idea?
Opticron MM4 77mm with SDLV 3 would fit your budget and then some. Plus it will deliver optically. I'd certainly be on that if I needed a new large aperture scope.

A straight Google Translate

Repair of binoculars
about a month ago
Opticron ES 100 GA ED v4 (27-80x)
High class modern spotting. Rating: 10/10.
Yeah Al that sounds pretty crap to me, Looks like BT aint for me either. But it is a wonderful observation tool. For long distances. With more than excellent resolution. Let's take a closer look.
The Opticron brand, well known in our country, especially in ornithological societies, is not from yesterday. The good, not so old quality English brand has been operating on the market for more than fifty years, during which time the "realized" binoculars and telescopes are quite a number. We write in quotation marks because Opticron itself is not a manufacturer. He is a creator and innovator, but the performers are different. Both before and in the present, from Japan, China and in very rare cases some other Far Eastern countries.
The ES 100 model is part of the "ES" field spotting range announced in early 2004, and has undergone several modifications over the years, the last of which is our participant. It is also the highest class Opticron spotting ever created.
The first generation MkI is gray in color, with an elongated roller of the focusing mechanism, and then the company modestly ignored the fact that the lens is made of ED glass. It is a triplet, APO solved, also another unnamed advantage. Only years later, when the manufacturer Kamakura released its own models for sale outside Japan, it officially became clear that the "extras" were more than indicated in the documentation. APO ED is written everywhere in Japanese brochures and brochures, while the European guarantor was not needed at the time. This status quo changed with the next generation MkII, it kept the same case, but it already had the ES 100 GA ED stamped on it. The focus roller was shortened.
However, significant changes were conceived and implemented in the third major generation, already designated as v3. Anti-reflective coatings have been improved with the company's F-multi coating, which increases permeability and greatly improves the already good performance of older generations. In addition to the previous water resistance, v3 is now gas-filled, so there are no problems with fogging, fogging and so on. The focus assembly roller was changed again, it became more precise, and only the two-speed mechanism was missing. It "appeared" in v4 - the latest version of the flagship giant of Opticron, which was introduced in September 2017.
So what sets the big spotting apart from its other counterparts from other brands? Perhaps weight is the most important thing. Heavier than its direct competitor Kamakura SP-100 ED APO, but slightly lighter than the other "opponent" Pentax-PF 100 ED. Requires a tripod and it is really strong and stable, Mandatory with a load capacity of at least 5 kg. It is also good to choose a suitable head, also with a balance rail or adjustable plate, because the center of gravity of the ES 100 is in front, and hardly anyone wants its spot to hang (at best).
The 100 mm lens compares the device to small refractor telescopes (650 mm focal length), and unlike the Pentax-PF 100 ED only accepts long-focus astro eyepieces with an additional adapter. However, as Opticron fans are aware, the company has a long list of excellent quality eyepieces, so the Big One is assured. As the best of the product list, it can work with all family eyepieces and attachments, has all the available threads that Opticron uses for its accessories. Specifically, our model is equipped with HDF T Zoom, which provides a smooth change in magnification in the range of 27-80x. For the curious - what is the quality of the view we will tell in a moment.
v4 is almost entirely rubberized with the exception of the massive canopy made of aluminum. The distinctive gray (also aluminum) ring (available for both Pentax and Kamakura) is a hallmark for the quality recognition of 100mm giants with identical designs. An interesting fact is that Optikron does not have a straight version of the model, Pentax does not have a corner design, and Kamakura has both designs. However, all of them do not have significant differences in optical terms. Enthusiastic spotting fans include Celestron's top-of-the-line Regal 100F-ED APO in the comparisons, but overall the latter lost some of its reputation after Celestron admitted to diffracting the 90mm Regal M2 lens. This disappointed Regal's fans, but the APO generation remained the best.
The first impression looking through the ES 100 (with HDF T Zoom) is the clear, crystal clear view. Respect worthy of respect, a resolution inherent in the much more expensive Optolyth APO 100, Kowa Prominar TSN 99 and Swaro ATX / BTX / STX 115. Perfect picture from 27 to 80x, no dimming, and the resolution is unchanged. Wonderful real colors, F-multi coatings do a great job, especially at low magnification the view is so bright and clear that one does not feel the optical device in front of your eyes. Excellent workmanship of the Japanese! The high multiplicities are fully usable, in fact, like all the best brands and their premium classes, and the ES 100 is optimized to work at high magnifications, everything below them is a bonus, ie. the view in the 80s is the same brightness as when we look with the naked eye. Defining remote objects, reading signs and inscriptions at distances unbearable for most spotting around the world are achievable here. We have conducted hundreds of tests in all weather conditions, the Large Opticron is not given, low-dispersion glass and APO construction give their own. In presenting the ES 100, the company wrote that the resolution is 1.16 "and this is indeed the case. Achieved at 150x, a sign of first-class quality of optical elements. These large increases excite consumers, especially practitioners of professional ground observations, photography, and amateur astronomers. The combinations of the eyepiece range together with the UTA (Universal Tele Adapter, - expect it) further expand the capabilities of the ES 100. Large multiplicities are applicable here, as first we have a 100 mm lens providing a lot of light, then the quality of the glass and last but not least precise mechanics such as the two-speed 1: 8 focus, which "details" the view.
The ES 100 has a nice rubber lens cover, which is one detail with the rubber body bumper. This is a good solution, it can not be lost or fall in the field, but in time the cord will certainly break. If Optikron improves it, like Swarovski's Field Pro innovations, it might be a better option.
In conclusion, we can add that the Great Opticron is well worth the money for it. Investment in quality is always justified. With a 30-year warranty, the company also deserves trust and respect. Applicable in all professional scenarios, the last word of the developers from the company from the Kingdom and the contractors from Kamakura, Japan. Well done, Opticron!
PS: below the photos comparison with our previous participant - Opticron Mighy Midget V2

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back