• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The APM 6.5x32 ED IF, compared to the APM 6x30 – A Few Thoughts (1 Viewer)

So the bino arrived yesterday, very fast…but im afraid too fast as i got the 8x32 APO IF instead of the one i ordered (6.5x32 IF). The seller responded swiftly and they will send me one i ordered right away with a return label for the 8x32. Good communications with APM so far.

Ofcourse i checked out the one they send me and prima facie i have to say that optically this is very, very nice glass…im biased because i prefer Porro’s over SP but i did some quick comparisons with my Habicht 8x30 IF and Leica UVHD 8x32 and optically you can’t go wrong with the APM. It’s tack sharp, and as i could see it -at least yesterday when the sun was shining- as bright as the Habicht. For some reason this binocular gives a very relaxed and stable view. Today its raining so will do some unscientific observations again.

What I don’t like though are the rubber eyecups….i folded them down and they came loose…bad quality but you can easily fix it. You never know how this MIC will hold after 10 years with heavy field use but so far so good. Even more curious to get the 6.5x32 now.

To be continued…

EDIT: added some quick pictures for size comparison
I really like the padded case it came with. It’s a bigger bino than the handy and trusty Habicht and UVHD.
Nice big eyepieces on the APM btw.

View attachment 1577252
View attachment 1577253View attachment 1577254
Yes, very big eyes indeed.

How are the rubber eyecups performing on your models?

I find them actually very comfortable to use. I was a bit afraid of their large diameter, since I have a relatively narrow IPD, but I find the ease of view great.
The only thing I could complain about is that the rubber eyecups come off too easily when I try to fold them down (which I usually don't, but for testing I had to). I may have to glue them on slightly.

The only thing I could complain about is that the rubber eyecups come off too easily when I try to fold them down (which I usually don't, but for testing I had to). I may have to glue them on slightly.
They do come off rather too easily. That's why I put some tape around them. Works rather well if you use a decent tape ("Tesa Gewebeband" in my case.) I did the same with the APM 6x30.

Hermann

Attachments

• APM_Tape.JPG
    APM_Tape.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Ah, that's why the focuser works so smoothly on my sample?
"A spoonful of oil helps the focuser go round" .....
Probably ... :) And this problem shows that it's not that easy to make an internal focuser that works reliably. Took Swarovski a few years if I recall the teething troubles of the SV focuser correctly.

Hermann

I have the same experience with the 8x32 they have wrongly send me instead of the 6.5x32. As you said a minor problem that can be easily fixed as Hermann did. I supposed to get them on Saturday and after the reviews of you and Hermann have confidence that they will be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back