• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (9 Viewers)

You must have been reading my mind Peter i was just thinking of restarting this thread up. I saw my first Butterfly of the year last week a Small Tort near the SOL Metro station.

Saw 2 Comma butterflies yesterday they were flying upwards in a slow spiral in the warm sunlight......is this a mating ritual for this species...
Joe

Been a good year for butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies.

Seen 27 speices of butterfly
17 species of Dragonfly and Damselfly.
Also it's been interesting running the moth trap this year added a few more species for the garden.Cannot wait to start mothing again next spring.

I hope you have all sent in your moth sightings for 2010 to your county recorder.

a list can be found here:

http://www.mothscount.org/uploads/CMR_List_VC_format_04_02_11.pdf

If anyone can help out we are still looking for good quality photos for our new site

http://www.northumberlandmoths.org.uk/

Tom

I had my first male Orange Tips, Green-veined Whites and Small Whites at Hamsterley Mill Garden Centre along with ex hibernated species, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, and Peacock. No Dragonflies yet though.

Harry

loads of orange tips about west pastures along with peacocks, large and small whites, green vein, sm torts and 1 comma at the bog pond and a large toad :)

Photographed this Small copper in Trow quarry this morning plenty of other butterflies around today as well, Small Torts, Peacocks etc..

Attachments

• tn_035.JPG
    tn_035.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 106
Early afternoon at the Boldon Business Park lake saw lots of damselfly in the sheltered NE corner including large red, blue-tailed and a green one, far too early for emerald!

A nice selection of Butterflies around Dormans pool today including 4 Dingy Skippers.

Attachments

• tn_001.JPG
    tn_001.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 99
  • tn_002.JPG
    tn_002.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 98
  • tn_003.JPG
    tn_003.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 108
  • tn_005.JPG
    tn_005.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 103
Also at Dormans Pool this morning - Common Blue Damselfly and Blue-tailed Damselfly. I also found a Four-spot Chaser here earlier in the week - apparently a very early record for County Durham. Plus Large Red Damselfy.

I think I was there too early for the butterflies as it was still pretty cold and windy. Only a few whites, Peacock and a Speckled Wood seen.

Attachments

• IMG_0476a.jpg
    IMG_0476a.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0487a.jpg
    IMG_0487a.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8760a.jpg
    IMG_8760a.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6924a.jpg
    IMG_6924a.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 110
Saw my first of the year Common Blue Butterfly yesterday at Dormans Pool. 2-3 around.

Also Wall Brown, Small Copper, Peacock, a few more DIngy Skipper.

Plus Four-spot Chaser, Common Blue Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Attachments

• IMG_2132a.jpg
    IMG_2132a.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2302a.jpg
    IMG_2302a.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2280a.jpg
    IMG_2280a.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2371a.jpg
    IMG_2371a.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2389a.jpg
    IMG_2389a.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 105
My first sighting of Broad Bodied Chaser at Cowpen today, also red damsel, blue tail, and common blue damsel.

A good find. I had a look around first thing this morning (8.00am) but couldn't see any dragonflies at all. Were they by the hide area or by the car park pools?

Hello Ian,
i found 2x B.B.Chasers in sunny glade by seats as you go through towards the small ponds not near the car park. Not a great shot taken with telephoto lens as dragonfly was up in the trees. L.Red. Common Blue and Blue Tail Damsels along with Comma, Red Admiral, Peacock, Speckeled Wood and a few whites also in same spot.

Attachments

• _MG_5245.jpg
    _MG_5245.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back