• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (1 Viewer)

Butterfly numbers keep changing everyday in the garden.Today a big drop in the number of Red Admirals but a increase of Small Torts.

Red Admiral 5
Peacock 1
Small Torts 4
Speckled Wood 1

Sedgeletch area
After this mornings downpours, the sun eventually came out
4Red Admiral, 3Comma, 4Speckled Wood, 1Small Totoiseshell, a Migrant Hawker & several Red Darters including a pair flying 'in tandem'.

Sedgeletch area
After this mornings downpours, the sun eventually came out
4Red Admiral, 3Comma, 4Speckled Wood, 1Small Totoiseshell, a Migrant Hawker & several Red Darters including a pair flying 'in tandem'.
Hi Steve nice to know there are still a few Comma and Red Admirals still about.It's been an excellent year for Red Admirals best i have known.

Red Admiral seen in the garden yesterday first one i have seen for a couple of weeks in the garden also a Speckled Wood at Whitburn CPK today.

saw 1 small buff coloured moth flitting about colliery woods just as it got dark, to dark to see it properly, is it worth trying the moth trap i wonder ? martin

saw 1 small buff coloured moth flitting about colliery woods just as it got dark, to dark to see it properly, is it worth trying the moth trap i wonder ? martin
Hi you do get a few species of moths on the wing during winter.But i would wait for a mild night to try the moth trap out.

Brought this subject up on the thread you started Martin as I am a total novice regards these creatures.

What happens to the exotic Moths you raise from eggs etc. once they have hatched?

Hi Steve i keep the moths in netting cages. Netting cages are show in the pic you can get different sizes.I normally like to try and breed the moths which i keep. Most silkmoths are short lived and they dont feed.They only live for a week or so which is a great shame because i dont have the moths for long.But with the caterpillars you can have them up to three months are even longer before they turn into a cocoon.It's amazing watching the caterpillars grow and see them making a cocoon.And it's even more amazing watching them emerging out of the cocoon as a moth and seeing there stumpy wings getting bigger and turning into a perfect insect.It's a very fasinating hobby.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 146
Been a good year for butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies.

Seen 27 speices of butterfly
17 species of Dragonfly and Damselfly.
Also it's been interesting running the moth trap this year added a few more species for the garden.Cannot wait to start mothing again next spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back