• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
In the field I had these guys down as Wigeon (they were pretty distant) but I reckon the bird in the upper left is a male Pintail and perhaps the smaller bird in the bottom left is a female. Any thoughts? There are some other equally bad photos which I can process.

Attachments

• Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I'd say the 3rd from the right may be a Northern Pintail. The neck looks longer and the whole bird more elegant. The pale belly looks to extensive on the lowest bird for Pintail and I think the size difference is a photographic artifact ( as il could with the other bird).

Chris

I can see where you're coming from but I don't think there's enough in the picture to be totally sure.

Its ok - its not for patchwork challenge, just foot it... I guessed that was probably the case, was just testing the water to see whether my hunch had (m)any takers. I know there were 3 Pintail present the day before so it has coloured my judgement somewhat.

They all look like Wigeons to me. About the bird that is being discussed: note the very long and pointed wings, typical (if not diagnostic) of Wigeon. Compare with the drake wigeon that is leading the flock on the picture.

cheers everyone. I guess when you take speculative photos half a mile away the quality leads the mind astray. All wigeon it is!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back