• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck Species ID? Location: Three Lakes, Selby, North Yorkshire, England. (1 Viewer)

rebekahf662

United Kingdom
Hello, please can anyone ID these duck species?

I apologise for the low quality photos, my dad took them while on a fishing trip and so we don’t have any other photos with better clarity!

In the first photo I believe one of the birds is a mallard duck (Anas platyrhynchos) but I’m not sure about the duck on the right.

And in the second photo we weren’t sure if it was a female mallard, but my dad thought it looked different (a paler brown without the same patterns as a female mallard) and so we thought it was worth posting them on here to ask!

Again we’re sorry for the low-quality!!

Thank you,
Rebekah

Attachments

• IMG_6045.jpeg
    IMG_6045.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6046.jpeg
    IMG_6046.jpeg
    968.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6045.jpeg
    IMG_6045.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6046.jpeg
    IMG_6046.jpeg
    968.6 KB · Views: 32
Hello, please can anyone ID these duck species?

I apologise for the low quality photos, my dad took them while on a fishing trip and so we don’t have any other photos with better clarity!

In the first photo I believe one of the birds is a mallard duck (Anas platyrhynchos) but I’m not sure about the duck on the right.

And in the second photo we weren’t sure if it was a female mallard, but my dad thought it looked different (a paler brown without the same patterns as a female mallard) and so we thought it was worth posting them on here to ask!

Again we’re sorry for the low-quality!!

Thank you,
Rebekah

One of the Dutch names is (literally) ''soup duck''. You see them in or around cities. In more natural areas you find the original Mallards.

The mallard-looking one is a mallard. The other two are domestic ducks - descended (wholly) from mallard.
One of the Dutch names is (literally) ''soup duck''. You see them in or around cities. In more natural areas you find the original Mallards.
They're both domestic type ducks with some Mallard ancestry in them

Thank you everyone for ID-ing them and for the interesting information!! 🦆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back