• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digby fen and the Harriers (1 Viewer)

We had seen the RSPB sign's a couple fo days ago on our way to Grantham in Lincs stating that a pair of Montagu's harrier's were nesting on our door step, so as soon as we could we decided that whilst the boys where at school that we would go along and see ... no expecting to see any thing at all.
But how wrong could I be! Just 15 minuets in the female came up from the nest area and gave us all a great view of her using the thermals to get lift. I am still very new to bird and nature watching in general but the other watchers there where eager to point in the right direction so we wouldn't miss one second of what was going on.
Excitement soon hit as the male came in for a food pass, in the air, amazing how they did not miss a beat, and again more excitement when a Marsh Harrier thought she would get a little too close to the nest for both mum and dad's liking!!
I was quickly scribbling in my note book what I had see and though there is not a lot of birds on that page, boy the birds that are on it speak volumes.
I even joined the RSPB today so now I am an official twitcher lol

Popped in to Kirkby gravel pit on the way home and topped the morning off with a family of Mute swans, oyster catchers, common terns, one wader that I could not get a good enough look at to ID this time, a first for me - little grebes, shags and commorants ... ho and some body thought they saw a pair of green woodpeckers and a buzzard (not me though) ... all on my local patch.
Happy birding

Hi Corvuscorone

I was also at Digby fen this morning, and saw the male bring food for its partner. I am glad you enjoyed your birding. The monty is a good tick to have, I shall certainly hold that memory for a long while.

The site is ideally placed, the nest is in the cornfield straight ahead and there is very little in the way to obstruct the good views of the birds. It is worth the travelling.

On the way home I called in to Gibraltar point and saw spoonbill, greenshank to add to my year list.

good luck with your future birding

cheers Julie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back