• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

Teign Estuary

At North end of estuary at high tide this afternoon 1 LRP,2 common sand and 1 2s Med Gull,also at least 36 curlew.

Also very late news from 27th May, 5 Crossbill over house in Maudlin Drive,Teignmouth.
All the Best.
Paul Barker

Teign Estuary

High tide roost today consisted of 6 adult Med gulls 1 adult LRP and 2 common sand still.
All the best,
Paul Barker

In case you haven't read the Devon Birds Blog, a pair (well the female anyway) of Pochard have raised 6 young at Sherpa Marsh here in Sunny (well ok rainy) North Devon.

According to Mike Tyler's book of Devon Birds, Pochard have never successfully fledged young in Devon before. These 6 ducklings are happily paddling around with Ma and fully feathered and apparently ready to fly.

For info the new DBWPS society website which includes Devon bird News in a new capacity is now on
devonbirds.org
Great new website with lots of local info including a forum for members and non-members

Colour ringed Black-tailed Godwit.

This individual at Seaton Marshes last evening (R leg, yellow over red over yellow, L leg, red over orange over green)

Attachments

• IMG_8745.JPG
    IMG_8745.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 85
Prawle Point

Down on holiday at Prawle Point for a week.

Did a little sea watch for an hour this morning from 7.00am. Not much to mention other than several Gannets and Auks and a distant Diver. The most remarkable thing though was the huge numbers of birds on passage southwards.

Mostly Meadow Pipits, Chaffinches and Linnets with a few hirundines. Literally swathe upon swathe of birds passing right overhead. Other records in the area put the number of hirundines going through later at upto 25000. An awesome spectacle!

After the sea watch I went to try and bag myself a Cirl Bunting. I wasn't disappointed as I soon located upto six birds calling near to a nearby stubble field. A new life tick!! Other birds in the area included 2 Stonechat and several Willow Warblers.

After breakfast I took the dog out for a little wander and whilst passing the national trust car park I picked up a subtle 'hueet' call in the small copse opposite. After much skenning of the trees I managed to obtain brief views of a Yellow Browed Warbler. Probably yesterday's bird.

A great start to the week.

Prawle Point

Fog and drizzle greeted me this morning when I stepped out of the holiday house. Great weather for grounded migrants!

The first bird seen was a flushed Ring Ouzel in the hedge right behind the house. Not a bad start! Loads of activity in the scrub around the NT car park too with plenty of Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Chaffinches, Blue Tits, Great Tits and a couple of Goldcrests.

A small wander along the coast eastwards brought four Cirl Buntings, around forty Meadow Pipits feeding in a small pasture and the most bedraggled looking Buzzard I've ever seen. This poor bird looked absolutely saturated. I had to look really closely at it just to make sure it was actually a Buzzard.

A small wander up by the headland didnt produce much but as I walked back behind the gardens of the houses I spotted a nice female Redstart sheltering in the hedge. I also saw another just up the lane much later on too.

Prawle Point

More rain and mist today though much stronger winds too. Grounded birds this morning were hard to find due to the wind, the best bird being yesterdays Redstart that was still hanging around at the back of the houses.

There seemed to be a bit of movement off shore this morning and small bouts of sea watching produced good numbers of Gannets close in plus several flocks of Common Scoter passing through. Two Little Egrets passing westwards was unexpected but the best sight was a very close Pomarine Skua going west. In addition to this there were good numbers of House Martins over the sea as well as over the headland too.

A small walk around the headland this evening also produced the same Redstart as this morning plus another associating with a Whinchat. Good numbers of Meadow Pipits around plus a calling Cirl Bunting, two Kestrels and a Peregrine.

Looks like you're having a good time there Gwahir, thanks for keeping us posted. Hope the rest of the week goes well ( save the yank till Friday if you can so it's there at the weekend )
Cheers, Perry.

Looks like you're having a good time there Gwahir, thanks for keeping us posted. Hope the rest of the week goes well ( save the yank till Friday if you can so it's there at the weekend )
Cheers, Perry.

No worries Perry. Living in hope of that Yankee before the weeks out.

Prawle Point

A good look around the headland and scrub this morning didn't produce anything special. Plenty Blackcaps and a few Tits and Willow Warblers just east of the point plus quite a few Blackbirds too. Tried as I might I just couldn't turn one into a Ring Ouzel. Several Stonechat made their presence known as did a couple of Cirl Buntings.

A brief look out to sea though did produce five Brent geese heading east. From the shots I took they all appeared to be pale bellied.

Later this afternoon whilst I was on the beach at Beesands I could see a passing Shearwater heading eastwards. Didn't have my scope or bins with me but looked to be either a Balearic or Sooty.

Prawle Point

An absolute wash out of a morning today. The weather wasn't too bad when I started but within an hour I had rain running down the back of my neck. Consequently this mornings birding was cut short.

Sightings were two Redstarts, a Wheatear, a Chiffchaff, two Stonechat, several Ravens and around forty Meadow Pipits. A brief sea watch gave good numbers of Gannets heading west plus a single Little Egret and a Peregrine.

Prawle Point

Last day of the holiday so I thought I'd put in a few hours this morning especially as the weather was much better than of late.

Started off by doing a sea watch for about a hour and half. Plenty Gannets moving through and good numbers of Kittiwakes too but nothing else of interest really.

A hunt around the headland brought the usual Stonechats plus a good movement of Alba Wagtails through. Also a couple of charms of Goldfinches and quite a few Chaffinches, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits on the move as well. A Peregrine was also making its presence known too.

Down in the dip to the east of the point was quieter than of late as no Blackcaps or Willow Warblers were noted. Two or three Cirl Buntings were quite active too. Best bird of the morning though was a Grasshopper Warbler that flushed from right under my feet next to the 'set aside' field. It was quite elusive but I did manage to get a reasonable view of it eventually.

A family visit to Start Point lighthouse later found a Goldcrest in the bushes by the lighthouse and also a ride to Slapton sands gave two Sandwich Terns just offshore.

Last edited:
Have a safe journey home Gwahir. Hope you and your family all had a good holiday. Thanks for posting what you saw and hope you come again.
Regards Perry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back