• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Day lists (3 Viewers)

danysloan

United States
I am pretty big on lists. One particular list that I like to keep is a day list, or most birds seen in a day. My personal record occured on May 18, 1996, which I only remember because it was my 17th birthday. Anyway, I did 70 species while I spent the day at Bombay Hook NWR. I may have been at Prime Hook NWR for a little bit, too.

You'll have to do a "Big Day" mid-night to mid-night. You'll get 100 species if you hit a variety of habitats. I did 100+ in so. Ohio in May 1981 twice. Good luck.

Every year in NJ, I believe in May, they do the World Series of Birding, and I know a lot of those groups get well over 100 species. Anyone know anything about this? I'd def. like to partake.

Hi pleasesleep,

I was invited to join a team. Unfortunately I can not this year. I've been asked before but never jumped. Perhaps we could consider forming an all Bird Forum team for next year? Maybe we can get sponsorships from those in the forum willing to kick in a couple dollars for wilderness conservation. A couple Bird Forum hats and away we go. What does the Bird Forum management think?

For those not familiar....24 hours of birding, anywhere in the state of New Jersey, specific day in the month of May, all teams must check in at Cape May, NJ, some of the best birders in the world form teams sponsored by optic companies,etc.

just a thought,
dennis

And I'd be a teeny tiny sponsor!!

If I remember, the teams often top out at around 280-300 species. Many will spend a week in advance scouting out locations.

Sounds like a great good time!

I think the Cape May competition winners get around 200+ species in their long day. I know the record for Colorado is 219.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back