• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

day flying bat north yorkshire 03/07/2022 (1 Viewer)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
today we saw a bat flying for a good length of time at Aysgarth Falls North Yorkshire poor photo as i only had a 40mm lens with me what bat species is it thanks
3K3O8419.jpg

Without certainty, I think it's one of the pipistrelle species. Noctule or serotine are often seen in daylight, but I have seen pipistrelle then too and I think wing shape rules the larger bats out. Was it small?

Without certainty, I think it's one of the pipistrelle species. Noctule or serotine are often seen in daylight, but I have seen pipistrelle then too and I think wing shape rules the larger bats out. Was it small?
about the size of a sand martin

about the size of a sand martin
Taking into account the sorts of distortions one experiences (it's difficult to judge size without references), that sounds about right for pipistrelle. I suspect noctule etc would have appeared bigger to you, with a noticably bigger wingspan.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back