• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cozumel, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith

We're planning a one day whirlwind trip to Cozumel in the near future. We'll be arriving early morning and leaving the same evening. I have Steve Howell's Birdfinding guide that covers Cozumel as well as a tourist guide to Cozumel.
This trip is strictly for the birds so I'm looking for suggestions from others who have birded Cozumel. We'll be travelling pretty light as it is only a day trip. We will be taking a good break for lunch in some cool, shady place to get out of the heat for a little while. Should we rent a car or use taxi / bus? Are there many good sites right near town? Which sites will be best saved for mid-day?
Thanks in advance,

Dave

see my report Birding and Duding in Yucatan and Belize

spent a week on Cozumel as my girlfirend was diving.....i sussed out a few good spots

report has detail but briefly take road north for a few kms to where tarmac runs out - all endems are around there

Howell's book is great for Cozumel

Tim,
Thanks for the info. I did go back and revisit your trip report and found it helpful. I was really impressed with your bird list; 4 Tinamou sp.! I still haven't found my first (though I'm going back out this weekend to try again).

Dave B Smith said:
We're planning a one day whirlwind trip to Cozumel in the near future. We'll be arriving early morning and leaving the same evening. I have Steve Howell's Birdfinding guide that covers Cozumel as well as a tourist guide to Cozumel.
This trip is strictly for the birds so I'm looking for suggestions from others who have birded Cozumel. We'll be travelling pretty light as it is only a day trip. We will be taking a good break for lunch in some cool, shady place to get out of the heat for a little while. Should we rent a car or use taxi / bus? Are there many good sites right near town? Which sites will be best saved for mid-day?
Thanks in advance,

Dave, You picked the right guide, although it is difficult to carry in the field. YOu should be able to get the Cozumel endemics in one day. I would recommend renting a car--more flexibility and less hassle then doing the taxi-thing. Get an early start, birding is difficult in the windy afternoons. Check out American Birding Association's store, they might have a book on birding Cozumel. (www.americanbirding.org). Good luck.
Best,
Todd Myers
Denver, Colorado

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back