• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide 3rd edition in an App (7 Viewers)

I was informed by Harper Collins this week that their Bird App team hope to have the Android app of the 3rd edition out before Christmas.

I first enquired in mid-October. Having had no response after a fortnight I asked again, copying in their CEO, and had the above reply that day (!).

Christmas 'present'... Android version of Collins edn 3 app is available. £7.99 and requires loads of spare device storage to complete the install/upgrade - c 3½G for me, which becomes available for use again after upgrading.
As an app, still woefully poor, and barely better than a straightforward PDF: still no proper side-by-side compare feature, still (unlike a PDF!) no ability to scroll through species-by-species. Terribly disappointing 👎🏼

I've just made the upgrade. £6.99 with a small £1 discount. Personally I think the app is good and I've been using it rather than the book even before the upgrade. Having to go in/out for each species is slightly cumbersome, especially when trying to compared similar species but not a deal breaker. Easy access to information on mobile, rather than having to carry the book, calls included for some species and competitive price makes this a no brainer for me. Might get the book when price comes down in future but for now this is great.

Sorry for my confusion (it doesn’t take much) but how do I find the 3rd edition in Playstore? I can find it at £.6.99 but I’m not sure if it’s for android.

Confusingly it's not in the playstore. Go in the app and there is a banner across the top with the option to upgrade.
Thanks GR. I have two editions of the Collins Bird Guides in book form but I don’t have the app on my Samsung A34 5G. I take it I have to buy the app at £14.99 from the App Store on my phone before upgrading? I still have 100gb space on the phone so no problem there. I’m sorry for the confusion but I’m not too good at these things.

Thanks GR. I have two editions of the Collins Bird Guides in book form but I don’t have the app on my Samsung A34 5G. I take it I have to buy the app at £14.99 from the App Store on my phone before upgrading? I still have 100gb space on the phone so no problem there. I’m sorry for the confusion but I’m not too good at these things.
Oh I see, I am not sure in that case but would hope they would just sell you the 3rd edition app with no need to upgrade.

Oh I see, I am not sure in that case but would hope they would just sell you the 3rd edition app with no need to upgrade.
Nothing's for free. When you buy te fysical book you have to pay for it also. It isn't free just because you purchased the previous version.... It's an excellent app, I use it a lot in the field (iOS). And by the way: you can compare species.

Nothing's for free. When you buy te fysical book you have to pay for it also. It isn't free just because you purchased the previous version.... It's an excellent app, I use it a lot in the field (iOS). And by the way: you can compare species.
I don’t want anything for free. I just wonder if at £14.99 for the Europe edition (which I need) it’s for android.

I don’t want anything for free. I just wonder if at £14.99 for the Europe edition (which I need) it’s for android.
Okee, sorry, I misunderstood.
Yes, this version is for Android and is just released. iOS version was released a couple of months ago.

The iOS version has been out since July, and still seems to be version 2 with an in-app purchase upgrade to edition 3, so I don’t expect the Android version to go to edition 3 straight from store any time soon, but I could be wrong.
For clarification you could ask their support which is linked on this page Collins Bird Guide on Android — NatureGuides
The app is well worth the money, even if you have to pay full price for both elements, in my opinion.

The iOS version has been out since July, and still seems to be version 2 with an in-app purchase upgrade to edition 3, so I don’t expect the Android version to go to edition 3 straight from store any time soon, but I could be wrong.
For clarification you could ask their support which is linked on this page Collins Bird Guide on Android — NatureGuides
The app is well worth the money, even if you have to pay full price for both elements, in my opinion.
Thanks ET. I will take your advice after the Xmas and New Year’s Eve rush 👍

It all sounds a bit of a mess to me. Conflicting reviews on BF and the App means I may stay with the books.

Last edited:
It all sounds a bit of a mess to me. Conflicting reviews on BF and the App means I may stay with the books and what’s in my Middle Eastern head.
Think the Android and iOS are somehow different from each other. I only can comment to the iOS version which suits my needs fine and is an excellent companion to the book…

According to the iOS version history the latest is 2.1.3 and if you read back:
"
  • 2.0.6​

7 Sept 2023
    We have fixed further crashes on iOS 15, and made numerous content tweaks.
    –––––––
    This major new update includes the recently published third edition of the Collins Bird Guide book. Existing users can buy the new content with a one-off purchase inside the app (currently only available in English and Swedish with other languages coming soon). Listing has been significantly improved and moved into its own free companion app which works seamlessly with the Collins Bird Guide. New settings are available to hide species from outside your region, change the font size, and choose to stream or download videos.

"
I would read that as you get v3 of the book if you buy the app now for the first time at £14.99. The in-app price for v3 is for existing customers only.

but if i wanted the physical book i would not have to buy 1st & 2nd edition before i buy the 3rd edition?,

but if i wanted the physical book i would not have to buy 1st & 2nd edition before i buy the 3rd edition?,
No, but the upgrade fee is discounted and costs less then the full version. By the way, nobody is forcing anyone to upgrade. The older version ( same goes for the older books) are fine and keep on working. It seems quite reasonable that a newer version costs some money.
And the app is frequently updated in between and it is a one time purchase.
If you want the videopacks also you have to buy these seperatly (in iOS that is)
Another choice for them was selling the new version for more money and remove the old one from the app stores Instead of in-app purchases or, worse, a subscription ( then I would uninstall the app instantly)
unfortunately this is the way a lot developers try to earn a lot of money nowadays…
At least I’m happy it is a one time purchase, hope they keep it that way.
A fourth edition isn’t in the loop for the next years so the app can last a long time, I hope

Last edited:
Have found this, publication date possibly 20 July!
Think the price might come down though or I shan’t be getting it😜 (£9,999,999.99)
30% off! Now we're speaking money saved here. Buy two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back