• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changing Garden Birdery (1 Viewer)

pluvanut

DOCG
I've lived in my present house (typical urban) in Worthing on the Sussex coast for 22years. Over the last 2 or 3 years things have changed noticeably in the garden/local bird population. Some of it is reflected by what we read in the birding press, but not all I think.

Fewer Robins, no Thrushes (which I understand is widespread), no Owls that we used to hear, though rarely see; fewer finches, especially Chaffinch.

Sparrows are declining apparently, but we have a flock of about 25 in residence for 3 years (what a racket at 4am!), also Starlings and Blackbirds nesting.

We also have crows nesting in 2 trees in the street and regularly doing battle (literally) with the local common gulls.

Particularly welcome at this time of year (last 2 years) we receive visits from 3 or 4 swifts, twittering and zooming low and very fast over the garden, very close to the house - a real joy to watch and hear. They keep up this high speed circuit for about 1/2 hr just before dusk.

Interested to hear what is going in other local bird friendly gardens, or am I undereducated?

Also posted in Garden Birding Forum.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back