• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Tits brought in sticks and never been back (2 Viewers)

asimpledough

United Kingdom
For the past few months 3 great tits have been visiting my nest box, pecking away at it and so on.

On April 21st around 8am 2 great tits went in and one brought sticks and lay them down and it's now been a week and there has been no activity in the garden or on the camera.

A neighbour earlier in the week had their tree trimmed down that caused noise pollution, not sure if this contributed.

Is this normal behaviour for small birds to start nesting like this and disappear for a while or is this box a lost cause for this year?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 10.27.54.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 10.27.54.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 10.27.20.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 10.27.20.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 10.29.43.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 10.29.43.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

The activity of the trees being cut down may have put off the birds, but don’t give up hope. They may return.

Yes this is normal. I have seen similar behaviour in the past (with Blue Tits). She brought in a bit of material but never came back. Probably found a better option somewhere else. But I have also seen that material is brought in and then nothing. Then a couple of weeks later it restarted, she finished the nest in two days and started laying eggs (though that could also be a different bird). So don't give up hope just yet.

So one of the birds popped into this morning, a mere minute or so, looked around the place, didn't do the usual flap and scuttle and then left. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back