• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ceredigion Birding (4 Viewers)

walked up constitution hill to day, and then back down. saw a Raven , and i heard Choughs, although i couldnt see them, as they were obviously flying alongside the cliff-face, and i wasnt on the cliff-side footpath.

I really want to find and photograph those grasshopper warblers you mentioned, nick, im gonna have a go. ive heard grasshopper warblers before, but ive never seen one. so do you hear them down by the river, at the foot of pendinas?

well, apparently an iceland gull was seen in aberystwyth this morning.so im off to the seafront to have a look. im aware that ive got very little chance of seeing it, but gots ta try eh?

Well, i went looking for the iceland gull down by the harbour, and i couldnt find it. saw a few other birders who couldnt find it. does anybody know whereabouts in aberystwyth this gull was seen, and wether it is a juvenile or an adult bird? any info would be greatly appreciated. its a horrible day out there, by the way, not like yesterday atalll. saw cormorants and ringed plovers during the search.

went out again, after the iceland gull, but again couldnt find it. went over to tanwybwlch pendinas area to see if i could find any grasshopper warblers, but couldnt. saw a Red Kite, wheatears, house martins, sand martins, and rock pipits.

Just been for a short walk around RSPB Ynys hir. saw Red kite on the way, and at the reserve saw Mallard, canada goose, 1 lone snow goose(its an escapee one apparently , so im not ticking it off my life list), shoveler, teal, shelduck, a male blackcap, greater spotted woodpecker, siskin, Treecreeper, Mistle thrush, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Cormorant, blackbird, pheasant, carrion crow, and the usual common tits and finches.

haven't had much of a chance to go birding recently as im in the thick of my exams, and so am bogged down with revision. but havin a break tomorrow- we know a guy whos got a farm up near devils bridge, and we're gonna give him a hand doing some dry stone walling, and we'll go for a walk around his farm aswell. thats if the weathers reasonable. i havent been up there before my mate tells me theres vast swathes of heather moorland. now that sounds good- unbirded heather moorland!! might see somethin unexpected up there!!!! don't spose there'll be any breeding tree pipits, ring ouzels, merlins, dotterels, dunlin, or grouse- but you never know!!!!!!!

well, didt spend much time up on the moorland in the end, we did some work down in one of the fields. but went for a quick walk up on the moorland and saw Raven, wheatear, and Stonechat. the Stonechats could be heard clacking all over the place. the guy who owns the farm said there always used to be Black Grouse up there when he was younger, but that theyve all gone now. damn. anyway, hoping to go back an do some more work on the farm soon, so might get another look- im sure i heard some strange calls that wernt from the species we saw.

ive just been up on constitution hill with my mate, taking a chill session from revising for exams. we were sitting over the cliff fae, and we got stunning close up views of a pair of Choughs, circling over the cliffs, right infront of us. didnt have my bins or camera with me, but didnt need them- couldsee the thin, slightly down-curving red beaks, and red feet perfectly. ive only ever been able to identify choughs through bins before, never had them close up enough like that. brilliant!!! also saw plenty of stonechats, house martins and sand martins on our walk.

Probably not a big deal for most of you, but I saw my first (and only so far!) Shag in Aberaeron Harbour a couple of weeks ago. I love Ceredigion and am thinking of moving there......... has anyone got any ideas as to what can be found along the Teifi between Lampeter and Tregaron?

Chris

hello. im a birder in aberystwyth too! I was a student untill july when i graduated. Now i am just working and living here coz its soooo nice! What are you studying at aber? what year are you in? i studied countryside conservation.

I think this thread should be used more! Or we set up a group email or something! :0)

As an Aber based birder, I would be intrested to share sightings and info. There seems to be a bit of interest in this area. Anyone up for info sharing? PM or email me if you are intrested!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited:
I think this thread should be used more! Or we set up a group email or something! :0)

As an Aber based birder, I would be intrested to share sightings and info. There seems to be a bit of interest in this area. Anyone up for info sharing? PM or email me if you are intrested!

Cheers

Matt

As the forums are huge, here is the post again!

Cheers

Matt

I'll be in Aber in a few weeks time leading a trip for my local bird club, so are all the usual suspects about at the moment? We have struggled with chough the last few years, so are there any about anymore? Also i've noticed that theres a black redstart about, so where about is it showing?

I'll be in Aber in a few weeks time leading a trip for my local bird club, so are all the usual suspects about at the moment? We have struggled with chough the last few years, so are there any about anymore? Also i've noticed that theres a black redstart about, so where about is it showing?

Apparently, as I havent been yet, but a walk up Constitution Hill and along the cliffs for a bit will get you Chough. They can be around the top of Consti Hill too.

As for Black Redstart, the back wall of the Old College building proves fruitfull, failing that, a walk around the castle should show one up. There were two males there last week apparently.

Yesterday there was a Grey Phalarope on the sea off the south beach. I got the Black Redstart info off a guy there when we were looking for the Phalarope.

There are regular Purple Sands at the base of the concrete jetty at the harbour, I had 7 last week. And loads of cormorants and Shags off the rocks opposite the castle.

Have a good trip and let us know what you see and where!

we usually go to tregaron then onto Aber for a few hours and then go back to tregaron for a the harrier roost.

Thanks for the info, hopefully we'll get the choughs this year!

Hi all,

I'd be interested to share info! I'm often out and about birding, but never seem to see anyone else doing it!

I had 3 Grey Phals yesterday off of south south beach. It was very windy and rainy but managed to find shelter and get very nice views.

I've been struggling to get Chough at this time of year for the past 2 years. But in spring and most of summer you can see them at the top of constitution hill, as well as clarach bay. Infact the last time I saw chough was a couple of weeks back, just before christmas. They flew past me and onto the cliff face at the far end of Tanybwlch beach, south of Aberystwyth. Apart from those two it has been very hard to see them. They had colour rings on but hid them well so I didnt manage to get the combonation.

I went to search for the Ring-necked Duck up the Rhiedol valley the other week and I also saw a Dipper. Which I usually find hard to pin down. Another place I've seen them recently is along the river at Mach. Though that is quite far out.

4 Purple sands were at south beach yesterday, along with about 7 Ringed Plover and 18 Turnstones.

Has anyone seen any Little Gulls about (dont panic, I havent here, but would like to hear if anyone does.)

Sarah.

my bloody exams- having to revise so hard , had very little time to go looking for birds. may head down south beach tomorrow , as id like to see a grey phalarope, and ridiculously, iv still yet to see a black redstart iv been here 3 years now lol)

my bloody exams- having to revise so hard , had very little time to go looking for birds. may head down south beach tomorrow , as id like to see a grey phalarope, and ridiculously, iv still yet to see a black redstart iv been here 3 years now lol)

Me too for the black redstart! though i've been about almost 4 years so i hang my head in shame even more!

I saw a Grey phalarope outside alexander halls/by glen hotel today, didnt even need my binos, was very close in.

Heard a little gull was about today on the new ceredigion bird blog page. So have to hunt that down asap.

Sarah

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back