• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone tell me what this is? (1 Viewer)

Edibility

Hi Scampo, I agree that most fungi are edible but many are a waste of time having either little taste or zero texture after cooking. The other thing to remember is that a good eater for one person is a problem to another, a case in point a friend of mine comes out in a nettle rash after eating beefsteak fungus.

In Europe nearly every fungi has a local name due to the fact that poeple seek them out for the pot, it is only the best eaters in this country that get a local or common name!

Regards rog8811

I wonder if we ever had a taste for the wild varieties? I suspect the answer is yes, but the shops have probably weaned us off of the nutritios natural varieties and onto their own highly profitable pure white ones.

When I wasa boy, I was regularly sent off 'mushrooming', but I was only allowed to bring back three varieties, the 'bluestale' or blueits as my dad called them, the horse mushroom and the common mushroom. I only ever found blueits undr hedges and the other two in meadows that had horses grazing in them.

thinking of our odd ways with foods, I remember seeing large ugly tomatoes in France and wondered who would buy such things - that was until I tasted one!

We do seem to have an oddly sterile view of food.

A year back I found a lovely looking puffball and, following the advice of a country friend, fried it in butter and milk. Mmmmm...

Last edited:
I fully agree, these days if it is not in sainsburys we don't eat it, well some don't! I still search for the pot, it is much tastier when you have picked it yourself.

Regards rog8811

I agree with you both and have always had a great ddeal of respect for the Fungi experts, but as a little girl the wild field mushrooms that grew in the field next door, were the tastiest I have ever eaten, but the Blewits and chanterelle, were my mum and dads favourites, but I found them rather strong, but I bet I would love them now, as I was developing a taste for the latter before my dear old dad died, but the blewits have not seen for years. Nina.

Nina P said:
I agree with you both and have always had a great ddeal of respect for the Fungi experts, but as a little girl the wild field mushrooms that grew in the field next door, were the tastiest I have ever eaten, but the Blewits and chanterelle, were my mum and dads favourites, but I found them rather strong, but I bet I would love them now, as I was developing a taste for the latter before my dear old dad died, but the blewits have not seen for years. Nina.

Those blueits are still there - but you have to look really hard. I think kids find them more easily because they're nearer the ground than us adults, and their eyes are sharper.

Nice to seeyou write'dear old dad'. I lost both mum and dad within a six month period earlier this year. 'Dear old' is a lovely way of addressing them!

Hi steve, If the fungi come out in any numbers after the recent rain, whatever the subject that the school wants for the children, any walk will be be highjacked the moment the kids start seeing them. This has its advantage though, this weekend I have a fungi open day on my reserve, and the kids will have pointed out a lot that I would otherwise have missed!

Regards Roger

I wish I was there with them, Roger. Are you a warden of a reserve?

I see you're from the south-east. We were thinking of a holiday in the New Forest area this year as my eldest son, Nick, is so keen on reptiles and would love the chance to uncover a few lizards and snakes. Do you know this area? It's a bit west for you, I realise.

The New Forest seems the best UK site for such things, but I read a rather downbeat report on the area's birdlife (for a visit during July/August) that rather put me off a little! Any advice would be gratefully received.

HI there scampo, I can tell you that parts of the New forest have some good places but if you really want to see lots of reptiles do look at the county by county index, for some reason Dorset is in the south west, and it borders the New Forest, I have posted some pictures too of some of the very interesting reptile spotting places, which are on the border of Hampshire and are still part of the forestry areas,
I notice you are from my dear mums neck -of-the-woods, as she was a leicestershire lass, and her sister lives there still. I can also give you some other places to visit if you need some good ideas I'll willingly help you, as this area is so special, and I'd love to point out the not so well known places, with wonderful things to do or see. Nina.

I am an education officer for the Surrey Wildlife Trust, sorry I can't help with the new forest, lucky that Nina P can. When It comes to reptiles I am well served for Adders, Grasss snakes, Slow worm and common lizard, go to Dorset though and you will almost certainly come across sand lizards.

Regards Roger

Yes and I had a smooth snake surprise me in my own garden flowerbed, but the sand lizard is one of those named on the board of the herpetological trust society who have stopped building on the St Catherines Hill site just outside Christchurch, now designated an SSSI and just off the main road, and I deliberately took a walk over the place last week, cracking place and pretty quiet apart from Dog walkers, a few places to sit down but next time I'm taking a shooting stick as I sat on the ground several times to catch my breath, and have not been able to much since, That'll teach me to get too carried away! Nina.

rog8811 said:
I am an education officer for the Surrey Wildlife Trust, sorry I can't help with the new forest, lucky that Nina P can. When It comes to reptiles I am well served for Adders, Grasss snakes, Slow worm and common lizard, go to Dorset though and you will almost certainly come across sand lizards.

Regards Roger

Thanks for that Roger. Nina has sent me some details. My appetite's been whetted and I'm already looking forward to next year's hols!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back