• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallard (I think)? American Black Duck? Hybrid? (1 Viewer)

has530

I was going through photos from a month or so back when I remembered taking a photo of a weird duck which I assumed was a mallard with it's head feathers coming in due to my location (Oakland, CA, USA) but I am now having a sliver of doubt on the ID based on a few things:
  • The sharpness of the line separating green and and tan at the nape
  • The single curl on the tail
  • Someone posted a photo of a bird that looks an awful lot like this recently claiming it to be a hybrid.
Everything else points to mallard for me. Tell me this is just a mallard with its breeding plumage coming in.

duck.JPG

That head pattern is seen on a lot of hybrids too. Is that a neck ring?
The online images of mallard x Mexican duck are close.

Hello,

it might well be an intersexual bird, an older female that develops partly male plumage due to hormonal changes. Normally the ones that I think I can name as such have more brownish patterned feathers on the flanks and breast, but yours is surely within variation for this.

Some excellent Information in german here:

And here an intersexual hybrid from one of Jörns excellent papers: https://niedersachsen.nabu.de/imper...qual-hochw-druck_final-23092013_reduziert.pdf

So, this is from maybe February? Mallards molt into breeding plumage in autumn, don't they? (And as I recall anatid breeding plumage is basic?)

I can't comment on any strange hormones, but it's definitely not a Black. I'm in SE AZ, and we see MALL x MEDU all the time, and I don't see any plumage evidence of introgression. Plus, mightn't Oakland be out of range?

Just a Mallard.

Please , do you have any pictures showing bill pattern and color? it could be a bird with an intersex plumage ( mostly old females ) , but it might also be a mallard with some American black duck genes - not a first generation cross, but these hybrids are fertile and can backcross to either parent.

Please , do you have any pictures showing bill pattern and color? it could be a bird with an intersex plumage ( mostly old females ) , but it might also be a mallard with some American black duck genes - not a first generation cross, but these hybrids are fertile and can backcross to either parent.
I wish! It was tucked the entire time I was around.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I had not considered an intersex mallard even though I was vaguely aware of this phenomenon. Certainly interesting things to think about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back