• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds' eggs thief is sent to jail (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

From the RSPB web site:

Birds' eggs thief is sent to jail

Kingfisher and Little Ringed Plover eggs were collected by Wheal
A Coventry man who was described by the RSPB as Britain's most convicted collector of birds' eggs has been jailed for four months.
Gregory Peter Wheal, 42, of Lady Lane, Longford, admitted two charges relating to possessing birds' eggs and the equipment to collect them last month.

Wheal has seven previous convictions of the same charge.

Magistrates had previously heard he had 75 eggs at his home ranging from common birds to more rare species.

'Most convicted collector'

Among those found were Kingfisher and Little Ringed Plover eggs.

After the hearing, Grahame Madge for the RSPB, said: "Ardent egg collectors have posed a very serious threat to many of Britain's rarest birds and whilst no-one wants to see people sent to jail, in certain circumstances, it's the only way to wean people from their egg collecting addiction.

"I wouldn't say that he was the most prolific offender in the country, because some people amass collections of thousands of eggs but, unfortunately for him, he is Britain's most convicted egg collector.

"Wheal will be out in time for the start of the next egg collecting season, only time will tell if he has learned his lesson."

Collecting eggs from wild birds' nests has been illegal since 1954.

I actually e-mailed Andy Hale (the Police Wildlife Officer) regarding this conviction. There was a piece on the 6:30pm news with Andy being intervied about it.

I was actually thinking about this on my way to work this morning. It could be relatively hard to catch this man in the act but what if his photo was distributed to all Birding Associations together with places like this forum. I'm not saying it will be the answer but at least there is a chance that a birder might recognise him when in the vicinity of nests, and then be in a position to warn the relevant bodies.

John

Too bad a "three strike rule" isn't in affect there. With his past history a 5 or 6 year jail term would have been very appropriate.

Reader said:
I actually e-mailed Andy Hale (the Police Wildlife Officer) regarding this conviction. There was a piece on the 6:30pm news with Andy being intervied about it.

I was actually thinking about this on my way to work this morning. It could be relatively hard to catch this man in the act but what if his photo was distributed to all Birding Associations together with places like this forum. I'm not saying it will be the answer but at least there is a chance that a birder might recognise him when in the vicinity of nests, and then be in a position to warn the relevant bodies.

John
That's a great idea. Why don't the RSPB etc put these people's mugshots in their magazines ? Can't see any legal problems provided they have been convicted. The press/TV regularly show criminals faces.

cheshirebirder said:
That's a great idea. Why don't the RSPB etc put these people's mugshots in their magazines ? Can't see any legal problems provided they have been convicted. The press/TV regularly show criminals faces.

Glad to see a custodial. But sub-optimal that he will be released at end of April ready for next nesting season.

If I were the er beak on this one I would have been tempted to leave him free over the winter but order him to attend his local police station for 10 mins every day for next few spring/summers.

as much as I'd like to see this bastard go down for a considerably longer period than the paltry custodial/fines usually dished out to these sorts, I have to ask what value publishing this blokes address achieves ... seems to me to be an invitation for certain types to go putting a brick through his window ... maybe they ought to take wildlife crime a little more seriously than this

egg thief

white-back said:
Glad to see a custodial. But sub-optimal that he will be released at end of April ready for next nesting season.

If I were the er beak on this one I would have been tempted to leave him free over the winter but order him to attend his local police station for 10 mins every day for next few spring/summers.
R S P B and Raptor groups should have there mug shots and car reg /numbers.There's some great viewing points opened to the public in last couple of years.We could have a lot more only for prats like these.Just shows these prats are still active.

the self rightous vilification is rather amusing

he nicked some birds' eggs

perspective?

rather usual in this type of thread.... who can be most outraged?

four months is a reasonable maximum... otherwise prisons will be at breaking point.

nicking someones pension won't get you that.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:

perspective?

four months is a reasonable maximum... otherwise prisons will be at breaking point.

Tim

The original thread was a good idea though , Tim. Forget about his punishment - if he knew his face was circulated to the conservation groups and general public it might make any future crimes more difficult for him and increase his chances of being caught.

ever done anything wrong? (speeding, which kills people, springs to mind)

want yer photo posted anywhere?

thin end of the wedge for me

the law works fine as it is.

birds face much more serious threats

It's like the Daily Mail here at times

Tim Allwood said:

perspective?

Tim
"nicking someones pension won't get you that."

1. True, but that only shows the the inadequacies of this countries criminally loaded justice system.
2. But a thought. What is worse. Stealing from a helpless person who will expeience difficulties as a result, or potential eradication of species forever.

In both cases the minimum should be at least 5 years.

Tim Allwood said:

Sorry Tim, but the law hardly works at all these days.

Tim Allwood said:

perspective?

Tim

Couldn't agree more. If we show so much indignation over what is, in all honesty, a rather minor offence, where do we go to when someone rapes a twelve week old baby?

The guy got a reasonable punishment for the crime committed - I certainly wouldn't like to go to prison for four months.

saluki

john.roberts said:
R S P B and Raptor groups should have there mug shots and car reg /numbers.

I think you'll find that such info (certainly names and car reg) is circulated to the relevant organisations. I'd agree that pubilshing the guys address is just asking for someone to overreact.

Tim Allwood said:

Were talking serial offending here Tim. The guy has been caught so many times that it has become obvious that he doesn't give a toss about the law.

As far as I can see I didn't advocate giving the guys address anywhere, just his photo. I wouldn't put his reg No out either (what if he sells it-the poor bugger that buys it would be in a heap of S**t).

Are we also forgetting that there are different factions of the Police Force employed to follow lines of enquiry on specific things. The likes of Andy Hale wouldn't be put on a Murder Case, that isn't his job, so it is no good saying that resources are not being used properly because they are.

Deterents are in place for all sorts of crimes and you can't start comparing different crimes to try and downsize another. They all have their criteria to meet. This one was followed up, prosecuted and convicted (many times over). As a serial criminal (as that is what he is) he should be given the full force of the Law. Measures should also be put into place regarding after his release. His photo in all the right places will help I feel.

And whilst this all goes on the law will be followed up in all the other crimes that have been mentioned. Doing what we can to protect against egg thieves will not diminish the law elsewhere.

John

I tend to agree with Tim and saluki on this one. Hasn't it occurred to some of you that every time this sort of thing is plastered across the papers it could have completely the opposite effect and actually increase the number of egg collectors instead?

The phrase 'monkey see, monkey do' springs to mind!

Anthony Morton said:
I tend to agree with Tim and saluki on this one. Hasn't it occurred to some of you that every time this sort of thing is plastered across the papers it could have completely the opposite effect and actually increase the number of egg collectors instead?

The phrase 'monkey see, monkey do' springs to mind!

I'm sorry Anthony but we live in a media driven world and that is not going to change. What do you prefer. Birders to know the people they should look out for or to bury your head in the hope that it goes away.

You can't have it both ways.

This also goes for murder, car theft, burglary etc. Do you really think we should stop reporting those for fear of it encouraging others to do the same.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back