• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Maderia (1 Viewer)

keithyed

i am off to Maderia island next week
would like any information as to what to look out for and places to go.
I have been told that the main birds are seabirds.But any info you may have as to what to look out for would be handy

keith

Madeira: try these

Hi Keith

Madeira is very nice indeed. I had my honeymoon there!! It's very dramatic and beautiful. It helps if you have a car. I rented one for the whole 10 days I was there. The Ponta de Sao Lourenco (Eastern end) is very good for Berthelot's Pipit. They were actually in the Car Park when you get out of the car, and there are more as you walk along the peninsula. From Porto da Cruz (NE) you look out to small island, and there are (were...we were there in late July/early August) Plain Swifts circling it. Also saw Bethelot's Pipit at Poiso (1400m) in the central hilly area north of Funchal. Ribiero Frio and the levada to Balcoes - Long-Toed Pigeon (north around Santana). Also on the road going east from Porto Moniz (NW) - actually in roadside trees!!

I don't have my full list to hand, I'm afraid, but those sites were certainly good for other birds, too.

Enjoy yourself

David

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back