• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breskens migration watch next week (2 Viewers)

GMS

Would much appreciate any information if there is a good migration day expected at Breskens watch point in the next week. I've never been as yet and would like to go over if conditions are favourable.

When looking at the forecast from Saturday on it starts to get exciting when (south-) easterlies start to kick in. For Breskens these are the best wind directions. Especially Sunday and Tuesday are looking good now, although it is pretty far ahead and not every source is forecasting the same.
Hopefully it will be good, because spring is somewhat disappointing for Dutch vismig sites up till now...

Thank you, looks like the wind is swinging round to easterlies from tomorrow, but very light winds. What impact does wind strength have and which day would look best on current forecast?

Days in May with (south)easterlies 3 of 4 Bft. produced stellar numbers and species. 2 Bft. can be okay, but is mostly leading to less birds 'blown' towards the spot.

Check trektellen.nl to see what these circumstances can bring. For example:

I use windy and windfinder for windforecasts. These (free) apps are very helpfull. When checking both on this moment windfinder forecasts Saturday as a good day (East 3), but turns to non easterly directions in the following days.
Windy forecasts a lot more 'good' wind in the following days, including Saturday.
I think its best you check those sources (but there are others as well) before you plan.
Another tip, it's a school holiday in most parts of the Netherlands at the moment so be sure to arrive early for a good spot as it can be (very) crowded, especially on Saturday's.

Enjoy.

Curious to hear if the OP was at Breskens yesterday. Another 'crazy day' in the history of this spot.
National record breaking numbers for Spotted Flycatcher, Marsh Harrier and Kestrel, and some other birds ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back