• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Argentina (1 Viewer)

streatham

Hi All,

Just trying to do some research for a possible trip, can anyone recommend fieldguides - optimum times of year to visit and hotspots for the country. Bit vague at the moment as I have a friend whose parents still have family property there but as of yet I don't know the location. Doing some research online but any general thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Luke

Hi Luke

there's an excellent checklist by ex London boy Mark Pearman and Juan Mazar Barnett

filed guide I think is Birds of Southern South America - can't remember author aybe Rumsboll and ...?

There are some excellent birds going in the gallery from Argentina at the moment... may be worth contacting one of our Argentinian members, not too sure if they frequent the forums though. Could try Fritz73, he's very active on the forums.

For Argentina there are two Field Guides available:

'Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica'
by Martin R. de la Pena, Maurice Rumboll

'Birds of Argentina & Uruguay. A Field Guide'
by Tito Narosky, Dario Yzurieta

I personally use the second one.

For hotspots in Argentina I would say Iguazu Falls + surrounding Province Parks, Jujuy in the nothwest with the cloud forest and the puna, Ibera swamps in the province of Corrientes in the northeast, Costanera Sur reserve in Buenos Aires, Punta Rasa in the province of Buenos Aires (300 Km south of Buenos Aires) for migratory birds. This ar a few spots. If you need more info please send me a PM.

Hi Tim, Andy and Fritz,

Thanks for the help thus far. Fritz - thanks for the information - I will take you up on the kind offer to get some further information off of you once I have some further details on whereabouts in Argentina I will be visiting.

Regards Luke

Ps - Is there any reason why the overwhelming number of trip reports I have read to Argentina seem to be in November Fritz?

I think the best season is from September to November. Then you will got hot and wet weather in the north but you could choose to visit Patagonia, also an excellent destination.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back