• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird surveys (1 Viewer)

Nightranger

Senior Moment
In the spirit of TV announcements - COMING SOON.

I am in the process of organising a local bird survey for the Lancashire Wildlife Trust in the Graeter Manchester area. The initial plan is to launch three teams at a certain country park (to be announced in due course) but I may extend the surveys depending on the level of interest. I am hoping to use other volunteers to make up some of the teams but I need more experienced birders too if possible. The surveys will utilise Territory Mapping techniques so experience of this will be an advantage but good identification skills are essential. The surveys are quite demanding and will be voluntary but it would be good to get a few extra people onboard. I will explain a little more in a few weeks or months but if you are interested, please post here or PM me. There is nothing particularly hush-hush about this project but I don't want to announce something more extensive than what may actually take place at this stage (I have my pride...LOL).

Hi Nightranger,

Sorry, I would love to help but live too far away and transport is a problem. However, as I know we have many members who bird in Greater Manchester and know the area well I hope some of them will reply to your post and can help you.

As I tell everyone, the more we know about our birds the best we can help them especially as habitat is shrinking and there are plans for development everywhere.

Good Luck.

Ann :egghead::flyaway:

I'd say speak to Adrian. He should know some people who could help.

I'd offer (having a degree in Ecology and having done territory mapping) but walking is not my strong suit at present. Depending on when it is and if my health improves I may be able to reconsider.

Thanks Jaff,

There may still be an option for you because one of my three sections is flat and the surveys will not start until March 2009. The big hurdle would be the distance you would have to travel as my primary site is near Bolton and I have not yet had enough interest to extend to other Lancs WT sites although I could speak to Mere Sands Wood for you.

Oh no worries about the travelling. I can easily hop on the train up to Bolton or Manc. As for flat or hilly it doens't make any difference, walking up the stairs sometimes requires me to use all fours! :-O

Man. Met. was where I did my degree so it may even be possible to have a word and see if there are any volunteers amongst students currently doing the environmental courses that might be interested.

Would this be a one off affair cos Territory Mapping usually requires repeated visits. That may complicate matters cos I never know how I am from one day to the next.

I'm going to make a trip into Manc soon anyway so if you PM me with your e-mail I can leave it with some of the lecturers and then they may be able to put you in direct contact with any interested folk.

Cheers.
Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back