• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID help please (1 Viewer)

Wildwoman

I live in Western Michigan and spotted this guy a couple of weeks ago. Searched my books, but can't id him. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• No id bird.jpg
    No id bird.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 118
  • Unknown bird.jpg
    Unknown bird.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 111
I believe (hard to tell from picture) it is a juvenile European Starling just getting its adult plummage. Did it have black and white spots on thighs and stomach (look like boxer shorts to me)? The Kaufman book shows this plummage.

To me it looks like a molting, juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird. Something like here

Sibley shows this plumage in his big field guide on page 510 if you have opportunity to look at this bird field guide.

completely agree with Larry - juvie Brown-headed Cowbird !
ps - sorry for the bold type , it was accidental

Last edited:
Agree with juvenile male Brown-headed Cowbird molting into adult plumage. Tail is too long, and bill too short, for European starling.

Best,
Jim

I agree with the others - believe it's a molting Juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird. I wonder what kind of songbird it calls momma....

I agree with the others - believe it's a molting Juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird. I wonder what kind of songbird it calls momma....

Just like we don't know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie-Roll pop.....the world may never know who it calls momma! :t:

-Matt

There certainly are similarities with starlings, but yes it does look different. If it's of interest for reference, this is a moulting juvenile starling in my garden - at this stage they have the strong spotting that the adults show, which is quite distinctive.

The song of the starling is pretty easy to identify too, lots of whistles and churring and chortling!

Attachments

• 2696903936_60044e4808.jpg
    2696903936_60044e4808.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back