• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tripod for a big Kowa scope? (1 Viewer)

Hello! I just ordered a Kowa TSN-99a spotting scope. It's big! I am now searching for the best tripod I can get that will complement this new scope. Ease of use, sturdiness, quality are all important. Price is not a concern, however, I am looking for the best tripod, not the most expensive.

Anybody have any recommendations? I was reading a review that mentioned you can get a special mounting plate or something of that nature.

If you are reading this, you are probably wondering "What will you be using this for?". I have a phenomenal view from my home and I also travel, so both of those things.

I'd be curious to know if anybody had recommendations for:

1) Best travel tripod
2) Best tripod for your living room (of course aesthetics are going to have to come into play here, right?

Any thoughts or input are helpful! I'm starting from scratch here and open minded.

Congratulations on the new scope!

If you want a good living room tripod look at Ries Tripods. These are wood tripods made in the US. Very nice looking, stable, sturdy, and functional. They are also heavy. For field use close to the car the wooden tripod will also work.

For travel/field use... If you live in the US, Really Right Stuff makes some very good quality carbon fiber tripods that are competitive in price to Gitzo, and are lighter than the corresponding ones made by Gitzo.

You have a scope that is large and heavy. It will require a stout tripod to work in the field, especially in windy conditions. Once you get a suitable tripod, but before you plan on traveling with it, walk around the field with it on your shoulder for a few miles first on several outings. You may find you want a second smaller/lighter "travel" scope.

For a number of years I have used a scope/tripod setup that weighs in at 12 lbs total. I've carried that all day long over my shoulder many times and it can get painful. I now use a tripod sling. Our small travel setup is a 65mm scope and smaller tripod. It weighs in at 7.6 lbs. I've packed that into remote high altitude lakes, etc. I could not have packed in a 99mm scope, suitable tripod, and still had room for foul weather gear, insulation layers, and food.

Just some things to weigh in thought.

Thanks for the tips. Wow those Ries tripoids are really nice, and it looks like they are even made in Washington state! Thanks for the tips!
Congratulations on the new scope!

If you want a good living room tripod look at Ries Tripods. These are wood tripods made in the US. Very nice looking, stable, sturdy, and functional. They are also heavy. For field use close to the car the wooden tripod will also work.

For travel/field use... If you live in the US, Really Right Stuff makes some very good quality carbon fiber tripods that are competitive in price to Gitzo, and are lighter than the corresponding ones made by Gitzo.

You have a scope that is large and heavy. It will require a stout tripod to work in the field, especially in windy conditions. Once you get a suitable tripod, but before you plan on traveling with it, walk around the field with it on your shoulder for a few miles first on several outings. You may find you want a second smaller/lighter "travel" scope.

For a number of years I have used a scope/tripod setup that weighs in at 12 lbs total. I've carried that all day long over my shoulder many times and it can get painful. I now use a tripod sling. Our small travel setup is a 65mm scope and smaller tripod. It weighs in at 7.6 lbs. I've packed that into remote high altitude lakes, etc. I could not have packed in a 99mm scope, suitable tripod, and still had room for foul weather gear, insulation layers, and food.

Just some things to weigh in thought.

I am in scope limbo at the moment, but recently sold a Kowa TSN883. I used an aluminum tripod called The Birder. It was recommended by others on this site. I think it was an excellent tripod for the money. Here is a link to it. It was not perfect, but I would buy it again. It really was very sturdy, and easy to use.

It did have a slight bit of shake at high powers, but far less than other more expensive tripods I had used before. The head might have been the issue too, but, regardless, for a combo of less than $375 total, it was a great kit.

I decided to go carbon this time. Plus, the legs only had one fixed point. I wanted a tripod that could get low as well. (Be aware that The Birder does not). I researched for the sturdiest, in my estimation, with the best price. I was going to go with the Field Optics Research PRO39, but with the needed additions, like spikes, it was fairly pricey. I then found the Leofoto LN404C.

The Leofoto was less expensive, had most of what I wanted included with the price, had the same diameter legs, machined aluminum parts, etc. I was going for massive, because I do not like any wobbles AT ALL, if I can keep from it. The Leofoto, depending on the head I end up with, is not much heavier, if any at all, than The Birder was, but so far is VERY sturdy. I would recommend it. Even on a blustery day it held up well.

I hope that helps a bit.

Quality 3 section carbon fibre legs together with a fluid video head will compliment the telescope. Obviously these will be far more practical in terms of travel luggage weight and bulk. If you want "the best" then look at Gitzo if your okay to spend the dollars.

Which model Manfrotto...? Some of those smaller heads will not be sturdy enough for your Kowa 99a and may not incorporate a balance rail for optimum performance. Both the head and legs are equally as important and it is imperative to select the correct combination for your ease of use.
Good luck.

Good tripods can usually be purchase as legs only, or with some type of head (a pan/tilt head, ball head, etc.) It depends on the manufacturer. If you buy a "legs only" tripod then you purchase a head of your choice to put on it.

In general terms... A fluid video head provides very smooth operation for panning (left to right movement) and tilting (up and down movement) of a scope. A good fluid video head tripod can make it easy to follow birds in flight versus what is called a pan/tilt head. A ball style head is not usually considered as good for using a spotting scope though some people like them.

As a scope gets heavier and larger, a larger tripod head that supports more weight continues to allow the scope to be moved easily and supports it properly when the pan and tilt knobs are locked in place. You don't want gravity moving your scope around when you lock it in place.

Some video fluid heads come with a counter balance spring built into them rated for a certain number of pounds. This spring helps to bring the tilt of the scope (or camera back) to center. These are very helpful to prevent a scope from flopping forward or backwards if it is not balanced properly on the foot and/or if one doesn't lock the tilt mechanism (something we have all done). The larger and heavier the scope becomes, the more helpful a counter balance spring can be. Just make sure the weight rating of the the counter balance spring is more than the weight of the scope.

Another type of head that is useful for a larger scope (or camera with a long lens) is a gimbal. This is a head where the tilt resembles a swing. They are larger, but they balance a large scope or long lensed camera well and allow for smooth movement.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help! Does anybody have a good heavy duty fluid head recommendation for the Kowa TSN99? It's bigger scope so I want to make sure to put it on a good tripoid.

I picked up the Manfrotto 128RC Micro Fluid Head with 200PL 14 RC2 Rapid Connector Plate, but it doesn't fit my tripod. Not sure if its going to support the Kowa 99. Any thoughts?

My goal is probably going to be to get a stationary tripod for my living room, and another one for travel. I'll check out Gitzo. I do want to get the best complement for this scope.

The Manfrotto 128RC head would not be the best choice for that scope. It is an old design with no counter balancing. It also doesn't have a slide rail so there is not ability to slide the scope forward or back to balance the weight over the center of the tilt, etc.

The Manfrotto MVH500A or the Manfrotto 502AH would be better choices. The Sirui VH-15 might also be a good choice (I have no experience with Sirui products).

(yes, I do own a 128RC head and am very familiar with how it works, etc.)

Last edited:
The Manfrotto 128RC head would not be the best choice for that scope. It is an old design with no counter balancing. It also doesn't have a slide rail so there is not ability to slide the scope forward or back to balance the weight over the center of the tilt, etc.

The Manfrotto MVH500A or the Manfrotto 502AH would be better choices. The Sirui VH-15 might also be a good choice (I have no experience with Sirui products).

I have a 2-series Gitzo with a levelling column (no longer manufactured) which is perfect for my 65 mm Swarovski ATS scope. It is used with a small Gitzo fluid head with a counter balance spring. The head works but it is not perfect. Some parts are plastic and it is not compatible with Arca plates. Nevertheless as this equipment is used as a light travel scope it works. But the scope works itself loose from the attachment plate and has to be tighted now and then.
For a bigger scope like the new big Kowa I would definetely recommend a sturdier tripod. My scopes are used also by my rather short wife and other people so a center column which can be raised or lowered is a must. The Gitzo Mountaineer 3-series is very good. Contrary to some recommendations I prefer 4-section legs, provided the tripod is tall enough. Gitzo has a tall (max 178 cm) tripod which is perfect. It works because the forth section very seldom has to be fully extended, sometimes it is never extended at all. The advantage of 4 sections becomes obvious when you travel and have to pack it down someplace.
Many recommend Gitzo Systematc tripods. For cameras with long and heavy lenses I agree. For scopes I prefer the Mountaineer series. Apart from the advantage of the center column I find them easier to carry over the shoulder.
The head I use for heavier scopes is the Gitzo GHF2W. It is a light all metal fluid head with Arca plates which is reasonably sturdy but not to heavy. The head is not perfect, the Arca is not really Arca but is some kind of Gitzo Arca. A proper Arca plate is inserted from the top and has 2 screw heads on the underside to prevent accidents if the clamp is loosened. Unfortunately many so called Arca systems today from China and also from Gitzo have some kind of safety system of their own designs. These ”Arca” systems are not without modifications compatible with eachother or true Arca systems. They also cannot be inserted from the top, they have to be inserted from the end. The disadvantage of that quickly becomes obvious when you have to handle heavy delicate equipment. Top loading is quicker and safer.
Another shortcoming of the GHF2W fluid head wis the lack of proper locks for the pan and tilt movements, only tightening is possible. There are better fluid heads out there but not without considerable more bulk and wheight.
Gitzo is expensive (also RRS). Cheaper alternatives from China are available. If you choose that route, check the quality and if spares are available. A friend has a wellknown chinese tripod with a center column which is unusable.
Also a final note based on experiece. Never buy a tripod with flip locks. I have seen much expensive equipment hit the ground due to failing flip leg locks. I do not trust them. I still have one Manfrotto tripod with flip locks which needs frequent adjustment. Also flip locks are noisy which sometimes can be an issue.
Gimbal heads. I use a Wimberley gimbal head for photo, but not for scopes. It is heavy and cumbersome and is not really suited for scopes. I much prefer a video fluid head.

Last edited:
For your living room, you should consider looking at antique shops and/or websites.
I have seen some beautiful old wooden tripods with beautiful colour and excellent patina which would look great in my lounge (if only I had a view !!)

Fir travel, my regular advice is go to a shop a try a few with your ‘scope

For your living room, you should consider looking at antique shops and/or websites.
I have seen some beautiful old wooden tripods with beautiful colour and excellent patina which would look great in my lounge (if only I had a view !!)

Fir travel, my regular advice is go to a shop a try a few with your ‘scope
Depends on how much travelling you do. I have travelled a lot. I have seen tripods which quickly corrode, leg locks which fail for various reasons. Watching animals from a hide sometimes requires a tripod which can be handled without noise. I have seen faulty tripods which cannot be fixed due to lack of spare parts. Etc. The list is long.

For my own use I need equipment I can depend on in a rainforest as well as in a desert, in cold climates as well as in the tropics. It has to be sturdy enough, but not to heavy for long walks, sometimes in difficult terrain.

Sorry, but for me, a visit to a shop is good but not enough.

Depends on how much travelling you do. I have travelled a lot. I have seen tripods which quickly corrode, leg locks which fail for various reasons. Watching animals from a hide sometimes requires a tripod which can be handled without noise. I have seen faulty tripods which cannot be fixed due to lack of spare parts. Etc. The list is long.

For my own use I need equipment I can depend on in a rainforest as well as in a desert, in cold climates as well as in the tropics. It has to be sturdy enough, but not to heavy for long walks, sometimes in difficult terrain.

Sorry, but for me, a visit to a shop is good but not enough.
I did check out Ebay for some old wood tripods, and there were some very nice looking examples on there. It had me wondering... Is there any way to attach a modern fluid head to an older tripod base so that you could combine vintage aesthetics with modern funcionality?

I'm new to this... what does the "counter balancing" feature do on a tripod? Slide rail too? Why would you want or not want these on a big Kowa TSN-99a?

I did check out Ebay for some old wood tripods, and there were some very nice looking examples on there. It had me wondering... Is there any way to attach a modern fluid head to an older tripod base so that you could combine vintage aesthetics with modern funcionality?
I am no expert when it comes to wood tripods. However, as long as the tripod comes with a 3/8 UNC thread which is standard for almost all camera tripods and heads it should be OK. Other standards exist for video heads, mainly heads which require a tripod with a bowl for levelling. Common size bowls are 70 and 100 mm.

Viewing from a living room with the window or door open is not a good idea unless the temperature inside and outside is the same.
The view can be awful with big temperature differences.

Viewing through window glass can be done if one happens to have really fine quality glass, even double glazing.

Most windows are not good enough for moderately high magnification.

Larger scopes perform less well than smaller scopes through window glass.

I used a very heavy aluminium two section ex. gov tripod that could support 75kg or more for my 150mm Maksutov.

Also I bought used professional tripods going up to 7ft 6inches from a charity shop for £10 to £15 each.

Skywatcher sell large altazimuth tripods that can easily support a Kowa 99.
AZ3, AZ4 etc. from memory.

Regards,
B.

I'm new to this... what does the "counter balancing" feature do on a tripod? Slide rail too? Why would you want or not want these on a big Kowa TSN-99a?
With a video fluid head it can be common to mount a scope or camera that has a long lens or has a lot of zoom. The length and/or design of the scope/camera can push the center of gravity either forward of backwards of the fluid head's tilt hinge. This means that the scope/camera can very easily flop forward or backwards due to gravity.

A counter balancing spring on a fluid head helps to push against that off centered weight and works to bring the mounted scope/camera back to level. It is very helpful in two ways. 1) when the scope/camera is properly balanced the counter balance spring can help allow the scope/camera to stay in any position you put it without having to lock the tilt mechanism in place. 2) it is very helpful in preventing your expensive optics from flopping over forward or backwards.

A slide rail, or long plate, is a long mounting plate that usually comes with the video fluid head. And extras or different length ones can be purchased as extra plates. Because these plates are long they allow one to mount the scope/camera on the plate somewhere along the front to back distance so that the center of gravity is over the tilt hinge. If one can't find that center of gravity, then the plate itself can slide forward or backwards in the head to help find that balance point.

The link below is to a B&H Photo Video video that explains how fluid heads work (pan, tilt, friction adjusters, counter balance, etc.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back