• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby S (9 Viewers)

I can see a (rich) grandparent splashing out on these a present for a nature loving 9-year grandchild but for that money I would expect some longevity. A well made pair of binoculars can be usable for many decades. I can't see a grandchild wanting to use these when they are are 15 let alone 25.

I actually don't understand why not. 7x28 is a very useful configuration which I think Swarovski should have offered earlier. Maybe the colors makes it looking like a toy, but I don't care.
I am interested in this binocular. ๐Ÿ™‚

Compared to the Maven 7x28 it has a larger fov, 7.2 vs. 6.5. It has 2 mm more eye relief. The Maven has better close focus at 9.8 ft. The Maven is a bit smaller and lighter at 12.4 ounces. However, the Maven minimum 58 mm pupil distance compared to 50 mm in the Swaro. The price for the Maven is $225.

The Vortex DB 8x28 is lighter at 14 oz., smaller, and has 6 ft. close focus. The Vortex fov is 6.2 degrees and minimum pupil distance is 55 mm. The Vortex sells for $153,

The Vortex Bantam is $70 and is very similar. It's fov is 7.6 degrees and minimum pupil distance is 51 mm. It's 14.4 oz and similar size. It's close focus is about the same as the Swaro and it's eye relief is 18.7 mm. It only gives up .5 in magnification, but is 32 mm in objective lens diameter. It is a good choice for children at a fraction of the price. I have one and it is really quite good.

The Swaro is $499, so I would only give it to a very extremely totally careful child. That said, kudos for a 7x and one oriented toward children.

I actually don't understand why not. 7x28 is a very useful configuration which I think Swarovski should have offered earlier. Maybe the colors makes it looking like a toy, but I don't care.
If it is correct that it does not have a diopter setting I suspect a lot of adults will have some problems using it, which is a shame. Maybe Swaro deliberately hamstrung it stop it interferring with sales of it's "adult'' binoculars?? ;););)

If it is correct that it does not have a diopter setting I suspect a lot of adults will have some problems using it, which is a shame. Maybe Swaro deliberately hamstrung it stop it interferring with sales of it's "adult'' binoculars?? ;););)
This is not a bin designed for 'old kids', but for kids.
IMHO, for that reason, it won't interfeer with 'old kids' toys.
If it turns out that the optics (glass, coatings, transmission etc) are of the same level as the so called El Cheapo's, Swaro missed the boat.
Something I don't believe.....

Jan

It also shows that sales of the A-brands are bigger than all sub brands together, so their place in the optics market is dominant and not getting smaller.
Jan, can you clarify whether this result is for your shop, or for NL generally, or EU? Even within the US, the picture must look quite different from Honey Creek Bill & Beak to B&H to Amazon.

Of course what I'd be most interested in (as I'm sure they are) is Swaro's actual year-to-year sales numbers, not market share.

But really, I think the best "first real bin" for a child (from age 7 or so) is your own old one. It means more. For me it was my father's B&L Zephyr 7x35, after he switched to a Zeiss 10x50.

Last edited:
I think these look great. I am in support of more low magnification options on the market. I'm sure the quality will be great considering that they are Swarovski. Looking forward to learning more.

Agreed. I've always wanted a pair of those 7x28 Mavens.
The colors do make these look slightly childish, but I think their color choices are relatively subdued. They could be vibrant pink or banana yellow or something (I would like that by the way, just saying that blue or green binoculars are not that radical).
I would buy a pair of these. No problem. They look awesome. This is actually the only current Swarovski I'm excited about.

The specs say: 3 dpt Diopter correction at โˆž.
Does that just mean the range of focus, and not for the right eye?

Ok! My left eye has -4 and the right has -2,5.
So a correction of 3dpt means I cannot get focus with my left eye but barely with my right eye. And because left is my dominant eye and the right has halvened resolution it means this 7x28 is practically useless for me without eyeglasses or contact lenses. But if eye relief is sufficient it works good with eyeglasses.

Jan, can you clarify whether this result is for your shop, or for NL generally, or EU? Even within the US, the picture must look quite different from Honey Creek Bill & Beak to B&H to Amazon.

Of course what I'd be most interested in (as I'm sure they are) is Swaro's actual year-to-year sales numbers, not market share.

But really, I think the best "first real bin" for a child (from age 7 or so) is your own old one. It means more. For me it was my father's B&L Zephyr 7x35, after he switched to a Zeiss 10x50.
Hi T,

In all respect, my little shop can't be compared with Amazon........sigh.
Even when I compare the A-brand (Swaro, Zeiss, Leica) sales numbers from those with the 'rest of the best' the A-team wins also.
Having said that, Swaro (2023) 82%, Zeiss 14% and Leica 4% market share.

My old bin, which I got at the age of 11, is still in my possesion (Japanese unknown brand) and I still remember the sensation when I first looked through it.
I have to admitt that I would not give the 'sensation'of that quality to any child these days.

Jan

Hi T,

In all respect, my little shop can't be compared with Amazon........sigh.
Even when I compare the A-brand (Swaro, Zeiss, Leica) sales numbers from those with the 'rest of the best' the A-team wins also.
Having said that, Swaro (2023) 82%, Zeiss 14% and Leica 4% market share.

My old bin, which I got at the age of 11, is still in my possesion (Japanese unknown brand) and I still remember the sensation when I first looked through it.
I have to admitt that I would not give the 'sensation'of that quality to any child these days.

Jan

Hi Jan! Do I understand this right: Zeiss, Swaro, Leica binoculars sell more than all other brands together?

Hi Jan! Do I understand this right: Zeiss, Swaro, Leica binoculars sell more than all other brands together?
Hi S,

Yes, both in volume as in sales GPO, Bushnell, Kowa, Steiner, Fujinon, Bynolyt, Meopta, Eschenbach together are in minority.
Having said this, our target group is the safari traveller (Spitsbergen/Africa/Antartica etc) so we are not the common regular customer shop in optics.
Since COVID the birding community exploded in sales but, as it turns out, these folkes also use A-brand gear.

Jan

I can see a (rich) grandparent splashing out on these a present for a nature loving 9-year grandchild but for that money I would expect some longevity. A well made pair of binoculars can be usable for many decades. I can't see a grandchild wanting to use these when they are are 15 let alone 25.
A 500 euro binocular is much cheaper than a 5000 euro horse, and the binocular doesnโ€™t need food, no costs for vets etc. ;)

Hi S,

Yes, both in volume as in sales GPO, Bushnell, Kowa, Steiner, Fujinon, Bynolyt, Meopta, Eschenbach together are in minority.
Having said this, our target group is the safari traveller (Spitsbergen/Africa/Antartica etc) so we are not the common regular customer shop in optics.
Since COVID the birding community exploded in sales but, as it turns out, these folkes also use A-brand gear.

Jan

Ok! I reacted because among people in general I dare to claim the majority do not have binoculars of this class. The majority of binocular buyers do not want to pay more than 100-200 dollars for a binocular, and many have some old 7x50 or so. At least it is my experience. It has to be that your store sells mostly to dedicated birders and astronomers.

Last edited:
Ok! I reacted because among people in general I dare to claim the majority do not have binoculars of this class. The majority of binocular buyers do not want to pay more than 100-200 dollars for a binocular, and many have some old 7x50 or so. At least it is my experience. It has to be that your store sells mostly to dedicated birders and astronomers.
Hi S,

Astronomy is a different cup of tea in telescopes. We don't have those.
In bins the only one sold to that category are the ELSV10x50 and the Fujinon FMT(RSX) 10x50.
BTW, we start at 400,00 dollars/euro's so we can't be active in the <200,00 euro bins.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back