• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

Best catch of the year so far on Thursday night, 71/28 spp. From the Hummingbird Hawk Moth Thursday afternoon to the light cloud and mugginess it had felt like a good night for trapping.

Moth of the year, lifer Light Crimson Underwing was one of those you instantly know isn't the common species even if you need the guide to identify it. Micro Crambus pascuella was also a tick but that's because I've only just started looking at micros.

Numbers wise 15 Large Yellow Underwings was the biggest haul but 5 Brimstone Moths, 3 Canary-shouldered Thorns, 2 Sharp-angled Peacocks, 3 Flame Shoulders, 5 Mother of Pearls, 5 Vines Rustics, 3 Tree Lichen Beauties and 5 Shuttle-shaped Darts also sent the total up.

John

Finally did some trapping and a decent variety. Mostly singles but trap contained:

Brimstone (several)
LYU (several)
Black Arches
Flounced Rustic
Knotgrass
Oak Hooktip
Common Carpet
Nut tree Tussock
Riband Wave (several)
Willow Beauty (several)
September Thorn
Canary shouldered Thorn
Flame Shoulder
Treble Bar
Shuttle shaped Dart
Jersey Tiger
Mother of Pearl
Square spot Rustic
Dark Crimson Underwing I think but would appreciate confirmation. Pic for reference.

Attachments

• 20230812_060819.jpg
    20230812_060819.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Sunday morning and a trap with 50/25 spp in it, three of them NFY and one of those a micro tick: lifer Cydia amplana, NFY Square-spot Rustic (herald of an Autumn avalanche from previous experience) and a nice Ruby Tiger.

The numbers game was won by 11 Mother of Pearls with 6 Vines Rustic and 5 Large Yellow Underwings trailing while 3 each of Flame Shoulder and LBBYU dragged in behind them.

John

I'm still getting numbers of Large Yellow Underwings (209, 113, 93 and 80 in the last four traps) but only Agriphila straminella (22 on one day) getting into double figures otherwise. Caloptilia stigmatella has been the only new species, with four Rustics (Rosy, Six-striped, Square-pot and Vine's) being NFY.

Lower numbers last night (the clear weather may have something to do with that) but Hummingbird Hawk Moth again yesterday afternoon briefly, ditto this morning. Two NFY, Small Square-spot and Pine Carpet - I get plenty of Grey Pine Carpet each year but not many Pine - and the garden's second Waved Black. Numbers were limited to 7 Vines Rustic, 5 Mother of Pearl, 5 Large Yellow Underwing.

John

28 Straw Underwings and 13 Jersey Tigers last night plus 2 Large , 3 lesser broad bordered , 1 lesser yellow underwings , 3 Brimstone 3 Willow Beauties 1 Garden Carpet and a couple of worn Common Rustic aggs

Last edited:
Not a bad last night by my standards (and that’s with half dozen wasps in the pot😩), with 22 of 13, highlights being- Marbled Green, Straw Underwing, a small Yellow Shell and Oak Scalloped!

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7531.jpeg
    IMG_7531.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7538.jpeg
    IMG_7538.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 14
Not a bad last night by my standards (and that’s with half dozen wasps in the pot😩), with 22 of 13, highlights being- Marbled Green, Straw Underwing, a small Yellow Shell and Oak Scalloped!
I think your Straw Underwing is a Flounced Rustic & your Marbled Green a Marbled Beauty?

I think your Straw Underwing is a Flounced Rustic & your Marbled Green a Marbled Beauty?
Seem to get MG’s and MB’s mixed up A, Flounced Rustic would be a tick for me, wasn’t on the radar hence opting for Straw Underwing which I’ve had before but not the darker “type” as is.👍

Yesterday morning's catch was 77/24 spp with 14 Uncertain and 13 Vines Rustic closely followed by 11 Shuttle-shaped Dart: 7 Pale Mottled Willow and 5 Mother of Pearl were respectable numbers. Maiden's Blush was NFY and relatively infrequent catches included Tawny-barred Angle, Oak Hook-tip and Bright-line Brown-eye.

I just got the trap cleared before the rain arrived.

John

79 of 26 species for me this morning. The highlight was 2 Cousin German, a first for the garden. Other notables were Haworth's Minor, 4 Plain Clay and the first Rosy Minor of the year. 24 Large Yellow Underwing and 9 LBBYU were bumbling about winding up the other moths.

A couple for some ID help. Am sure they are obvious but getting eye strain peering at the photo/book!
Edit. I think Tree Lichen Beauty and Common Rustic with fresh eyes.

Attachments

• 20230813_060356.jpg
    20230813_060356.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230813_060646.jpg
    20230813_060646.jpg
    653.4 KB · Views: 12
Ten of 15 last night/am, highlights- Yellow-Barred Brindle, Straw Underwing and Common Wainscott.

Attachments

• IMG_7569.jpeg
    IMG_7569.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7573.jpeg
    IMG_7573.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7579.jpeg
    IMG_7579.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 9
A new micro for me this morning, Caloptilia alchimiella, plus both Currant Pug and Tawny-speckled Pug NFY. Otherwise pretty standard fare in a catch of 89/27.
Someone caught the first Jersey Tiger for Leicestershire last week, so hoping for one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back