• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths (1 Viewer)

A day late reporting on Friday morning's moths, sorry. 6 more Green Oak Tortrix and 27 Heart and Dart led a numbers field that also included 3 Shuttle-shaped Darts, 2 Treble Brown Spots, 2 Dark Arches and 2 Coronets. NFY Elephant Hawk Moth, Cypress Carpet, Heart and Club and Aleimma loeflingiana.

John

Decent haul last night
H and D (10)
Willow Beauty (6) confused by one with rear wing spots, pic attached.
Light Emerald (4)
Heart and Club (3)
Brimstone (3)
Shuttle shaped Dart (2)
Green Pug (2)
Maidens Blush (2)

Singles of
Garden Carpet
Snout
Orange Footman
Silver Y
Mocha
Marbled Minor
Box Moth
Ingrained Clay (pic for confirmation)
Treble lines
Dark Arches
Riband Wave
Scorched Wing
Common Marbled Carpet
Blotched Emerald

Attachments

• 20230617_060841.jpg
    20230617_060841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230617_061137.jpg
    20230617_061137.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 8
Circa 17 of 21 last night + lots of “weenies”.
+ (don’t know how this slipped into the lounge). Took a shot and upon inspection, I suddenly realised that I’d never seen one in daylight afore…only as a “tiny” silhouetted bat borne into the night sky…..now found to be more attractive than when very first encountered! 🤩

Attachments

• IMG_6640.jpeg
    IMG_6640.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
Circa 17 of 21 last night + lots of “weenies”.
+ (don’t know how this slipped into the lounge). Took a shot and upon inspection, I suddenly realised that I’d never seen one in daylight afore…only as a “tiny” silhouetted bat borne into the night sky…..now found to be more attractive than when very first encountered! 🤩
So what were you doing with an Old Lady in the lounge, Ken? Don't tell the missus! :LOL:

On my Sunday patch hundreds of C. culmella flying up from the grass, 2 Silver-Y, a Yellowshell, Burnet Companion & a staggering 300+ 6-spot Burnets lapping up knapweeds & several mating pairs.

103 moths of 42 species last night, 23 new for the year and three new for me, Phycitodes binaevella, Rannoch Looper and Small Elephant Hawk-moth (with an Elephant Hawk-moth for direct comparison).

59 moths of 20 species for me this morning, not bad at all for my urban garden trap.

5 NFY: Plutella xylostella (Diamond-backed), Chrysoteucha culmella (6), Swallow-tailed Moth, Common Footman, Dusky Brocade.
7 Silver Ys showing that migrants are getting here - hopefully something more unusual soon.
12 Heart and Darts, nine Dark Arches.

43 Moths of 19 species this morning, with 21 Heart and Darts the major player and only Large Yellow Underwing (NFY, 2) Heart and Club (2) and Small Magpie (2) as multiples. The changes were ringing though with NFY Small Blood-vein, Dwarf Cream Wave, Shoulder-striped Wainscot, Burnished Brass and Uncertain.

John

44 moths of 15 species this morning: Heart and Dart still leading the way with 25 individuals, 3 Heart and Clubs, 2 Shuttle-shaped Darts. NFY 2 Leopard Moths, a Box Moth and a Turnip.

John

83 moths of 25 species for me, with Chrysoteuchia culmella (32) and Heart and Dart (15) bulking the number up. A Leopard Moth (still fairly scarce here in Yorkshire) was new for me, with Mompha subbistrigella, Ancylis achatana, Pebble Hook-tip, Red Twin-spot Carpet and Poplar Grey new for the year.

Couple of lifer micros to add for yesterday: Variegated Golden Tortrix and Red-barred Tortrix; I found a second Variegated Golden Tortrix in the trap this morning.

John

I don't trap but I do try and identify any moths I find out and about. I was very taken with this Chimney Sweeper this morning at Priddy Mineries, a new species for me and really striking. The white tips being much more attractive than the photo suggests.cs.jpg

Almost 300 moths of 40 species last night but 159 were Chrysoteuchia culmella (Garden Grass-veneer), with up to 20 more flying off as I opened the trap or took out the egg boxes. Heart and Dart (21) and Dark Arches (19) were the next most numerous. Aethes cnicana was new for the garden, Green Silver-lines new for the year, the rest I'd already caught.

Summary of the weekends most interesting (so excl H and Ds, H and Cs, Dark Arches Etc)

Pine Hawkmoth
Yellowtail
Lackey (lots)
Rustic
Figure of 80
Swallowtail
Buff Ermine
Treble Brown Spot
Leopard Moth
Broken barred Carpet
Uncertain
Clouded Silver
Lobster Moth

+ the pic which resembles Dark Arches but smaller.

Also had a Cypress Carpet last weekend.

Attachments

• 20230625_061203.jpg
    20230625_061203.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 10
Summary of the weekends most interesting (so excl H and Ds, H and Cs, Dark Arches Etc)

Pine Hawkmoth
Yellowtail
Lackey (lots)
Rustic
Figure of 80
Swallowtail
Buff Ermine
Treble Brown Spot
Leopard Moth
Broken barred Carpet
Uncertain
Clouded Silver
Lobster Moth

+ the pic which resembles Dark Arches but smaller.

Also had a Cypress Carpet last weekend.
Looks like a Clouded Brindle

My best catch of the year, 102 of 26, largely due to 21 Dark Arches and 24 Chrysoteuchia culmella.

NFY were Oak Nycteoline (only my 2nd ever), Box Tree Moth, Beatiful Plume and Miller.

Another late report, never realised retirement was going to be so busy...

Wednesday morning and 98 individuals of 30 species in the trap, and I may have missed some of the Chysoteuchia culmella heading for the tall timber as I went through: 33 of those actually counted and another 24 Heart and Dart led the field, with 5 Heart and Club, 5 Pale Mottled Willow and 3 Flames trailing a long way behind. NFY Festoon, Bright-line Brown-eye, Mottled Rustic and Riband Wave were the other notables with a Snout fairly unusual in the trap.

John

The last night of the month gave me my best catch of the year - 156 of 24 species.
NFY Blackneck (only my 6th in 19 years and the earliest by two days), Light Arches and Lesser Yellow Underwing
10 Silver Ys equals my highest previous catch back in 2009
5 Box Tree Moths after just a few singles before - fortunately no Box in my garden
53 Dark Arches
Pine Hawk-moth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back