• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adirondacks or White Mountains (1 Viewer)

holmesneg

Hi, My family and I will be vacationing in the NE USA in August 11. We want to experience as much wildlife as we can....mainly birding, but would love to see moose, beaver, skunk, etc. We don't have a great deal of time but are thinking of spending 4-5 days in either the Adirondacks or the White Mountains in NH. Are there any views on which would be best suited for us? We visited the Banff area of Alberta a few years ago and are after a similar vacation experience this time. Are we thinking along the right lines? Thanks for your help. Nick, UK

Hi holmesneg,
Welcome to the USA!
You'll have a great time in either the Adirondacks or the White Mountains.
Do note that you are unlikely to see moose in the Adirondacks, that is much more deer country. You should see wild turkeys, skunks and raccoons, beaver is possible but more likely in NH.
August is a bit of a low point bird wise, the nesting is largely done and migration has not yet started, apart from shore birds which won't be where you are planning to be going.
Do you plan on staying someplace and then exploring around or are you camping? How old are the kids? There are some nice places to stay such as Skytop near Canadensis in Pennsylvania, or Mohonk
near New Paltz in New York, which have lots of wildlife along with recreational activities, for a price.

I have been to both Skytop and Mohonk often. Both are great 1st class family resorts but as noted, are not cheap. I think that the birding opportunities are better at Skytop. They have a well known naturalist, John Serrao, on staff. He writes columns regularly in the local newspaper and he has had his photographs published in a number of Nature publications. Daily reports of sightings of interesting animals and birds are posted in the recreation room. There are also birding opportunities available in the nearby Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area and Promised Land State Park.

Mohonk isn't too far from the Wallkill National Wildlife Refuge Area which has some walking trails and canoeing opportunities.

Bob

Last edited:
I really enjoy both the Adirondacks and the White Mountains. If given a choice (and keeping in mind your desire to see moose and beaver), I'd say go for the White Mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back