• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 SLC-HD vs 8.5x42 EL-SV (1 Viewer)

how is the focus know in the swaros? does it compare with the silky smoothness of a nikon premier?

I would say there pretty close. The Nikon might be a little smoother but you can't complain about the Swarovski. I just compared the Swarovsion and SLC HD at Cabellas and I preferred the Swarovision for it's awesome edge sharpness. Either one is a pretty nice binocular though.

how is the focus know in the swaros? does it compare with the silky smoothness of a nikon premier?

I have had experience with some of each, and I think Nikon does have Swaro.
beat in the smooth focus area.

I really have to commend Nikon here :t:, in that I do not detect any backlash, and the smoothness and tension is just perfect.

I was just in a large sporting goods store today, and they did not yet have the
new SLC HD, so I cannot comment on that one.

Jerry

I just saw this thread after going to the local optics store today and comparing the SLC's and EL's against my Nikon 8x32 SE's. They also showed me the Zeiss Conquests. I don't have any fancy way to measure these, but I can give you my impression. These are not critical observations, but just a quick gut reactions. Nothing was fair because I had all versions out against one another. I did not like the Zeiss because the focuser was not smooth. The guy who showed them to me said he hopes to get the Zeiss Victory's in because that would be a better comparision.

The 8x32 EL's seemed to be brighter or give a more pleasing view than the Nikons, but center sharpness seemed the same. (I did not have time to really look at edge sharpness, but I did not see anything obvious). I don't know why for sure, it was just a quick impression.
I actually liked the SLC's better in the 8x42's than the EL's because of the balance in my hands and the views seemed similar. I am mostly interested in getting some 10x42 binoculars, and I still liked the SLC's better for the same reasons.

I have some Leica 8x20's that I really liked, but the store did not have any of the bigger Leicas in today.

I did leave feeling pretty good about the Nikon SE's. Althought I liked the 8x32 EL's view slightly better than the Nikon, it was not enough to want to change to them for the difference in price.

At this point in time that is good because I don't have the money to get any of the alphas, but dreaming is good for the soul!

Almost forgot, I did not pay close attention to the focusing, but for smoothness I would guess the Nikon.

Take all of this with a grain of salt.

Mike

Last edited:
I am considering upgrading from 8.5x42EL (2008 vintage) to 8x42 SLC. Never really liked the 8.5x power.

I am considering upgrading from 8.5x42EL (2008 vintage) to 8x42 SLC. Never really liked the 8.5x power.

ETC:

The 8.5 EL is a very nice binocular, and so is the new SLC "HD" 8x42.
For me, I like the 8.5 power, and the 8x is very good also.
When you are thinking about binoculars in this class, it does come down
to personal preference.

Have you tried the new one? Just make sure it is worth the effort.

Jerry

I haven't tried the SV EL, but I have read the same complaints by some people who have tried them, namely, the focuser is harder to turn in one direction than the other. I thought they had cured that malady when the EL passed the $2K mark, but it still seems to be there, at least in some samples, or at least for some people who are able to tell the difference.

So far, I haven't tried any bin that beats or even matches the "awesome" smoothness of the Nikon Premier focusers, though the Vortex 8x42 Fury was very smooth and fast and came closest in that regard.

So you got to wonder, if even Vortex can have a smooth and fast focuser in a $299 Chinese-made bin, why oh why can't the Wizards of Absam make that in a $2,299 Euro bin?

At the price of the SV EL, it should not only have as smooth a focuser as the Premier, it should be battery operated or perhaps utilize a voice command function with a universal translator built in (5 meters, please - fünf Meter, bitte). I think I should have high expectations from a pair of binoculars that costs more than a new Honda Metropolitan Scooter.

Brock

Last edited:
8.5x42 versus 8x42: 0.5 power does not seem like a lot but it is noticeable.

I generally prefer low powered, razor-sharp binos like 7x42 or 8x42. I don't know about older SLC but Leica Trinovids were (and still are) breathtaking.l It's not the power that makes the difference but the sharpness.

If the 8x42 SLC is as good as the 8x42 Trinovid, sharpness-wise, and cures all the other issues, like brightness and inner reflections, then it's a winning package.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back