• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear from UAE (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
I only saw Hume's on this section of the trip, but this is evidently something "else". Any opinions? It seems to have some orange on the tail but based on how they overlapped it was only sometimes visible.

1708406677950.png1708406714710.png

That's what I was concerned about, since I think those "two" are both documented here (and if so, I assume red-tailed "isn't" simultaneously by virtue of the split). It seems Persian would be the most likely here. I'm just glad it isn't isabelline which is what it felt like from a distance.

Last edited:
That's what I was concerned about, since I think those "other two" are also documented here (but if so, I assume red-tailed isn't by virtue of a split, unless that's a third species alongside those two splits).
The split is widely accepted e.g Clements, HBW, IOC.

Separation of Kurdish (xanthoprymna) from Persian (chrysopygia) is problematic enough in this plumage, but further complicated since there is small overlap zone in NW Iran ('cummingi') where they hybridise. The fact that this individual appears to lack white at the base of the tail (pale visible in 2nd image is along edge of utc's) combined with the black tail band appearing to fall well short of the uppertail coverts suggest Persian (over pale-throated Kurdish) IMO, but ideally, one would hope for more conclusive images of a spread tail and the underwing.

Grahame

That's what I was concerned about, since I think those "two" are both documented here (and if so, I assume red-tailed "isn't" simultaneously by virtue of the split). It seems Persian would be the most likely here. I'm just glad it isn't isabelline which is what it felt like from a distance.
I have just double checked the UAE species list. Only 2 records of Kurdish to date (it is kept up to date so will be to Jan 24).

Persian is a regarded as a common winter visitor. Certainly I saw them regularly when I used to live there.

Separation of Kurdish (xanthoprymna) from Persian (chrysopygia) is problematic enough in this plumage, but further complicated since there is small overlap zone in NW Iran ('cummingi') where they hybridise. The fact that this individual appears to lack white at the base of the tail (pale visible in 2nd image is along edge of utc's) combined with the black tail band appearing to fall well short of the uppertail coverts suggest Persian (over pale-throated Kurdish) IMO, but ideally, one would hope for more conclusive images of a spread tail and the underwing.

Grahame

Thanks for the thorough look!

Unfortunately it was only perched momentarily on this fence overlooking a steep cliff, and I could not have chased down the mountain after it even if I tried...it seems reasonably safely put to chrysopygia (sensu stricto) though, given that and the location. Alright, I'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back