• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Yellow Wagtail from northe east of France (2 Viewers)

L'argonnais

France
Hello,
last week end I saw a group of birds ; in France, North East , 60 km north from Der lake "Lac du der".
When I saw them, I found something strange ; I remember approximately the caracteristics of Western Yellow Wagtail ; and it was not exactly what I had in mind .
ssp , but which one ???
ssp thunbergi or ssp feldegg I guess ??
I have only this picture of that bird.
JR

Attachments

• DSC_5222_AM.JPG
    DSC_5222_AM.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 38
Hello JR,

greyish nape (enhanced by backlit situation surely?) makes this a thunbergi for me.
Feldegg
should show a pure black nape, well demarcated from the deep mossygreen back.
(despite some appearantly streaks to the breast?)

There is an excellent paper about this by Christian Wegst, but not avaliable online
"Grey-headed Yellow Wagtails Motacilla flava thunbergi with black heads reminiscent of M. f. feldegg" in an older Limicola (Band 16, Jahrgang 2002, Heft 5)

Hello Alexander,
thanks for that identification.
As said , there were a few more Western Yellow Wagtail + other species (behind a tractor in a cultivated field )
of course, everyting is possible ; the 3/4 other, there are also probably thunbergi ?? or it is quiet usual to see one individual of a ssp with common Western Yellow Wagtail?
JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back