• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very light* setup (binoculars + scope) (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
Maybe it’s because we now have two kids, maybe it’s because we’re busier, who knows, but sometimes I find myself in “different” birdwatching scenarios, compared to, say, a couple of years ago. Very often there is less time available, and often the opportunity demands a lighter/smaller set of tools that can be carried "just in case", or in a more understated way. As a result, I’ve discovered myself unexpectedly enjoying more and more the company of a 8x25 (Nikon Travelite EX/Prostaff ATB), which offers a surprising level of comfort and, after a small tweak on the eyecups, it behaves almost like an 8x32, but at 350 g/12,3 oz and with a very small footprint. I can carry it on their case on the belt, I even ride my bike like this often and it’s like if they were not there. Because of this, I never use any strap with them (again, it’s usually “unexpected” or “low key” birdwatching).

NikonTravelite825_Belt.jpeg

So, out of necessity, I've started to like this small pleasure of using less and less and this is the “minimal” setup I've been using lately, which is small and light but without compromising terribly on performance. The Travelite are surprisingly capable (a Porro, after all), the image they provide is sharp and crisp, with surprisingly little CA, and if you take into consideration price/size/weight they are a rather appealing proposal, even close focus is not terrible, like in some Porros. And then I’ve added the Kowa TSN 501, which at little more over 400 g/14 oz offers a very usable 20-40x zoom. Obviously, the very last bit of top magnification adds little on the way of usable detail, but even at 30-35 is honestly surprising in terms of detail (and you can use a smartphone adaptor and get usable pictures in terms of documentation/ID). Yes, the view suffers from CA (I just don’t even dare comparing it to my Swarovski scope), but again, taking into consideration size/weight/price, I just can’t fault it. All in all, bino+scope weight in at 773 g (27,2 oz), which is not unheard of for a 8x42, for example it’s lighter than a Leica Ultravid HD 8x42.

NikonTravelite825_KowaTSN501.jpeg

In optics, as we know, it’s all about compromises, and there’s usually not such a thing as a “best binocular/scope”, but instead a model that fits a series of criteria (or compromises) that satisfies a certain user under certain circumstances. For example, for me the Canon 12x36 ISIII is a great binocular, personally serves me better than other "alpha" binos I've used. In fact it’s so powerful that I sometimes carry it when I don’t want/can’t carry a scope, but I know it suffers from pretty awful level CA and it’s not waterproof, I can live with those compromises. So, back to this light setup, while both the Travelite and the TSN 501 have many compromises, I think that for around 300 €/$ and 775 g the proposal offers a lot. And then, I can carry the whole set in a pretty understated sling bag, not much bigger than the bag of a 8x32 Swarovski EL (which is also used for the 8x42 SLC).

NikonTravelite825_KowaTSN501_02.jpeg
NikonTravelite825_KowaTSN501_03.jpeg

I’ve considered carrying a tripod, but so far I’ve done without one. So, yes, the use of the scope is limited to situations where I can lean/braze on something like a fence, window sill, an observatory or the like. But even like this, I’ve been able to enjoy some sightings where binoculars just couldn’t grant an ID. Nevertheless, I might consider a very lightweight tripod that fits in that bag, or even a collapsible monopod.

In a broader sense, I find this is in a way a very personal response to very personal needs, but fits in a bigger scheme of "finding what's best for you, not BEST overall" (which can become an obsession). I've tried many alphas, I've had many binoculars that excelled in many fields, but sometimes what I'm looking for is different, and a "worse" device might fit better. Not only are these two tools pretty capable and extremely light and compact, but also reasonably priced, which is perfect for this kind of birdwatching, and it wouldn't be a drama if I lost/damaged them (I bought them second hand). I feel a very special delight using them.

Anyway, this was just a rambling about things I’m using at the moment, not saying this is the best or this is the real answer to anything, just sharing ideas hoping it might help someone or spark some interesting conversation and discussion.

*I’ve intentionally avoided the term "ultralight", because I’m aware that there are lighter options, like an 8x20 binocular and a monocular, or even something like an ultrazoom camera, say a Nikon P900, but again, it’s all about the compromises you are ready to accept. While I really enjoy my 200 g/7 oz tiny 7x20 Nikon CF III (for example, I prefer it to things like a Leica Ultravid 8x20 or a Swarovski 8x20), the Travelite offers a level of viewing comfort and performance that remind me more of an 8x32 than of a compact.

Last edited:
I have migrated to 10x (10x24, 10x32, 10x43) and 12x50 binos and no longer use my scope with its tripod. I could go to higher magnification binos but would then need to use a tripod or take a chance on the IS versions with their reliability concerns and greater weight.

@Elkhornsun In my case 10x have never really worked. After using 8x for several years, I felt I wanted more power, but whatever 10x I tried left me wanting for more; I saw little difference compared to 8x to justify the change. It was only when I tried 12x that I discovered something similar to what I expected 10x would offer. And then came IS: as a matter of fact, a stabilized 12x has been my main binocular for the last 3 years and I'm really happy with it, but even despite its astonishing resolving power it does not replace the good old scope for a good part of the kind of birdwatching I do. In fact, I very often bring along the 12x and the scope.

As for IS, my suggestion would be: do try it at all cost, now there are more and more choices from different brands. Your side of the Pond seem to be very happy with Sig Sauer, and over here Kite is doing remarkable steps. As for Canon, they have many quirks and some suffer from awful drawbacks, but you also read stories of happy users of Canon IS binoculars with over two decades of flawless service.

Last edited:
@fazalmajid That sounds like a great combo! I've tried several L/S/Z pockets, but never the 8x25 Victory, which by most accounts seems an impressive performer (and one that I find enticing, since I find double hinge designs very fussy). I'm not sure about the eyecups though, on picture they look a bit narrow. I don't know if you've measured the inner diameter of the eyecup, but then as per your picture, you probably use the Victory with glasses, don't you?
Regarding the TSN 501/502, I'm really happy with this product as a "package". No, not the ultimate experience in image quality, but the size and weight coupled with the amazing reach are just mind-blowing. One thing I do miss from "regular" scopes is the rotating collar to adapt the angle of vision, so when choosing between the 501 and the 502 you really need you have your priorities right. I've never used a car window mount, although I'm really interested in it, because many times you end up watching surprising and unexpected things from your car, but then I simply turn off the motor and lay the scope on the window sill. How are you finding the Kowa? I'm aware you enjoy several very fine optics, and probably the 502 is on the lower end of the image quality you are used to. In my case, I'm simply very grateful I have it with me when needed in those situations.

Yes, I have the same experience. I have three children now (the youngest still a baby) and like being outside with them, like walking, cycling (which we do a lot in pancake Netherlands) or just in the garden. That's why I love the compacts a lot and just got this lovely Curio 7x21. I prefer carrying them bandolier style or just in the pocket. I don't really have much experience with wearing them on the belt (unfortunately not possible with the case of the curios.). However, I see the point in it. Nothing hanging on your neck, but still available when needed.

per your picture, you probably use the Victory with glasses, don't you?
Yes, they are great with glasses but possibly too short without.
How are you finding the Kowa? I'm aware you enjoy several very fine optics, and probably the 502 is on the lower end of the image quality you are used to.
They are surprisingly good for the price, but really it’s all about the weight, I will take them with me in my backpack on casual trips where I won’t pack my heavy Meopta S2 82 or my lighter but still not as lightweight Opticron MM4/50.

That said, I recently purchased a pair of stabilized Sig-Sauer Zulu6 HDX 20x42 binoculars, the stabilization is absolutely amazing and they’ve replaced about 80% of spotting scope use.

... I don't really have much experience with wearing them on the belt (unfortunately not possible with the case of the curios.).
To me, the case of any 8x32 and lower aperture binoculars "must" have a loop belt, because one of the reasons you buy them is because their portability, lower bulk, lower weight, etc. In general terms, I feel that manufacturers (even the top ones) don't usually put a lot of thought/care when it comes to cases. Yes, some may produce high quality cases, but in some cases simply no fit for purpose. I remember the case of the otherwise impeccable Leica Ultravid 8x20 was pointless, it could fit not one but two 8x20 binoculars (here)...

In my case, if I buy one of the smallest high quality binoculars, I would like to make the most of that diminutive size, and this includes a proportionally small case.

Likewise, I feel that an 8x32 should by all means have a portable case (and this includes a belt loop). Here are 3 examples of cases that came with some fine 8x32 binoculars: left, Swarovski 8x32 ELSV (the same case as for an 8x42 SLC -facepalm-); right, Opticron Traveller 8x32, nice size, small and snug, neoprene fabric... but no belt loop, as a result, I have never used it... and in the centre, my favourite 8x30/32 case, the one that came with the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, compact size, yet capable of carrying a 7x42 Ultravid, for example. A sturdy belt loop that I've used many times.

Cases_NikonM7_ELSV832_Traveller832.jpeg

So, coming back to the case of the Curio (which I don't know), I'm frankly quite surprised and disappointed to learn that it cannot be wore on the belt, what's the point of such a tiny binocular if you can't carry it comfortably and safely in an understated way?

While hiking i carry my Leica 10x25 around my neck with the binocular in the front cargo pocket on my chest or in the chest pocket of a bodywarmer. Sometimes i carry my smaller Leica’s in a Maxpediton Octa Versipack. It’s great for shorter hikes when you don’t need a lot of gear. You can wear it around your waist or diagonal.

IMG_0634.jpegIMG_0633.jpeg

I rarely leave the house without my Wandrd Rogue 3L. It contains a Sony RX100VI and a VP8x25. There is space for a spare battery and SD card as well as a zip bag with some loo paper. I could also put my keys and cards in there. There is even space for a smart phone for those who use them. It is rainproof.
It's a sling bag because I cannot get along with stuff strapped to my hips which is always in the way when walking, unless I walk like Marion Robert Morrison ...
PS. Yeah, sorry, no scope.

20240505_072723.jpg

Last edited:
Nice light setup,I would seriously consider looking at a monopod,I birder with a small scope and monopod for a good while and it makes for a great setup, either carried on a shoulder strap, over the shoulder or hung off a belt

I have a small tripod that doubles as a rifle stock-like mount for a scope. I bought it ages ago and never got around to trying it, so I can’t really vouch for it, but the concept seems like it would fit in here.

Yarelli,

To me, the case of any 8x32 and lower aperture binoculars "must" have a loop belt, because one of the reasons you buy them is because their portability, lower bulk, lower weight, etc. In general terms, I feel that manufacturers (even the top ones) don't usually put a lot of thought/care when it comes to cases. Yes, some may produce high quality cases, but in some cases simply no fit for purpose.
In my case, if I buy one of the smallest high quality binoculars, I would like to make the most of that diminutive size, and this includes a proportionally small case.

Agree 100% with your first point above - "must have a belt loop".

On your second point, since Swarovski offer different case options with the 25 and 30 mm CL, I would love to see them offer a choice as pictured below. On top is the SW OEM case for the older 8x20 pocket. It will fit any of the UV 8x20 and the Curio with accessories when fully folded for ultra compact carry on a belt. The Minox case below allows carry on a belt with any of the SW, Leica, Zeiss 25 mm pockets with lenses oriented fore and aft at fully adjusted IP distance for more rapid deployment.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_2110.jpg
    IMG_2110.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
@Dr. K This sounds interesting. Do you by any chance remember the brand/model of that tripod?

@mwhogue I think I recognise that Minox case from an 8x25 I had quite a while ago (I think it was my first ever pair, I probably have the case lying around, but the binoculars took a shock and not only went seriously out of alignment but a strap loop was broken), nice that you have recycled it for other 8x25. I'd say that, as a plus, the Minox adds a touch of understatement. I remember the case that came with a "opera edition" 8x20 Swarovksi Habicht I had featured a silver case. I guess that in the mind of the designer, if the binocular was covered by precious stones (as it was), then a touch of silver wouldn't hurt :D

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-05 at 22.08.51.jpeg

... surprisingly, the performance of that 8x20 Habicht was honestly quite impressive, even if compared to the "holy grail of 8x20", the UVHD.

@Dr. K This sounds interesting. Do you by any chance remember the brand/model of that tripod?
Thanks for asking - it made me dig it out and set it up for the first time. I bought it with the idea that I would use it with a lighter scope, which I have yet to purchase. But, to answer your question and to see for myself how steady it is, I set it up with my Nikon monarch 82a scope. Looking across the street from a seated position, pressed to my shoulder in “stock mode” it’s about as steady for me as a 10x bin, but at 20x magnification… so… that’s pretty cool. Glad I bought it! Ha! Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8128.jpeg
    IMG_8128.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8130.jpeg
    IMG_8130.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
@Dr. K That's a very clear explanation, I haven't seen a tripod that doubled as a "shoulder grip". Very interesting. Thanks!
I haven't seen those for a few years. With a small scope some of the table-top tripods can be used in a similar fashion though or braced with legs against chest.

Though lacking the tabletop stand option, this shoulder stock for cameras at B&H looks handy, and is more easily sourced and maybe more in line with the super lightweight theme of your kit. Sorry if this has been a little bit tangential to the topic here. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554100-REG/Manfrotto_361_361_Shoulder_Brace_for.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_lar&lsft=BI:6879&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD7yMh1wEQr5tt46tPYZ5PN-uC59P&gclid=CjwKCAjw3NyxBhBmEiwAyofDYe9kb2iSWn7ltsKz1fuy3sYOm1p3SzP4CtqNBAer74Q4kypCW1-EdBoCUKIQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back