• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SFL 10X30 (1 Viewer)

I used to thave a predecessor for decades, the "tank" model Trinovid B. Had to give it up due to increasing problems with eye relief.
Same story and I still have them, used them for 25 years but not anymore since I have NL Pure.
But I just lent them to a friend who had no binoculars and went to a safari: they did the job and he was not disappointed.

The same, lighter with a bigger eye-relief and some updated optics would be a hoot. But wait, I've just described what we expect the SFL 8x30 to be except for the tank analogy maybe.

As much as the discussion of the aesthetics of the UVHD32s has me on the edge of my seat, I hope we'll hear more about the performance of the SF 10x30 (and eventually the 8x30) :rolleyes::unsure::whistle::censored:

The embargo is over it seems. Zeiss Birding has advertised the SFL 8x/10x 30 on fb.

Here are some pictures of the 10x30

Attachments

• 09D31D74-8C60-4470-83ED-549692442137.jpeg
    09D31D74-8C60-4470-83ED-549692442137.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • B9A1E275-713E-497D-87A6-05DDB1D9F359.jpeg
    B9A1E275-713E-497D-87A6-05DDB1D9F359.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • CF838DEC-AD15-419B-95D0-891AB03457DD.jpeg
    CF838DEC-AD15-419B-95D0-891AB03457DD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Wow does that look odd. The focuser diameter looks larger than the objective. It looks like the position of the focuser will fall under the two middle fingers.
It is larger. I have noticed the grip issue. With my medium sized hands, the pinky dangles but the index finger goes straight on to the focuser. Here I will mention the Swarovski CL Companion, where all three fingers curl around the barrel.

There will be times when such a lightweight binocular shall be used off strap. Posting a few more photos.

Attachments

• 848BBD17-79B9-441E-8018-D88184946FD1.jpeg
    848BBD17-79B9-441E-8018-D88184946FD1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • A9A93F6B-0712-4018-A508-900B02CE213C.jpeg
    A9A93F6B-0712-4018-A508-900B02CE213C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
It is larger. I have noticed the grip issue. With my medium sized hands, the pinky dangles but the index finger goes straight on to the focuser. Here I will mention the Swarovski CL Companion, where all three fingers curl around the barrel.

There will be times when such a lightweight binocular shall be used off strap. Posting a few more photos.
Where does your pinky dangle, in front of the objective lens?

Here's some discussion on the 10x30s:

I don't vouch for the veracity of the info given.

Interesting. He is even saying that the SFL 10x30 outperforms the NL Pure 10x32 in lowlight. Hard to believe, because Swarovksi states that the NL Pure has 92% transmission and 32mm diameter, compared tot 90% and 30mm.

Interesting. He is even saying that the SFL 10x30 outperforms the NL Pure 10x32 in lowlight. Hard to believe, because Swarovksi states that the NL Pure has 92% transmission and 32mm diameter, compared tot 90% and 30mm.
I wonder if SFL10x30 has a little better contrast than NL10x32. This might give the illusion of a 'better' performance in low light and be wrongly attributed to transmission.

Lee

I wonder if SFL10x30 has a little better contrast than NL10x32. This might give the illusion of a 'better' performance in low light and be wrongly attributed to transmission.

Lee

Possibly but he didn't really define 'better' - slightly odd review in general with little specifics.

Lee
And maybe the "blueish" colour some Zeiss binoculars give? I can imagine that looks more bright. Just guessing.

The contrast is interesting. I am still figuring it out what it really is. I have a SLC 8x42 and a NL 10x32. The SLC seems to have more contrast than an EL or NL, but I don't see any difference in that aspect. :unsure:
How can I test it?

My observations about the SFL 10x30 are:

1. Extremely lightweight and very nice MFD

2. Size is good for those with small hands (especially ladies and young people).

3. The focuser is big and fluid enough. The focuser on the SF 8x32 felt better

4. The view is immersive. Large sweet spot, no CA in centre, slight at the edges - more visible while panning. Most but not all of the field visible with specs on. The eyepiece glasses are big. 20mm and bigger than those on my FL 10x42.

5. It seems to boost reds / browns more than the Swarovski CL and NLP. I was watching a Greater Coucal drinking water. Uniform light. With the SFL the Chestnut wings looked richer. With the Swarovski CL - it looked a bit subdued- more akin to what my naked eyes see. Resolution is very high in the centre.

6. Coatings appears different than the SF and VP and the FL. Instead of the purple pink, here the coating is pink-green.

7. Overall very easy to bird with. Could spot a and identify a Chiifchaff and a Humes Warbler in the bushes from 25-30 meters away.

Arijit

Thanks for your impressions and nice photos! How about reflections, glare?
In the tropics, getting glare from a low sun is a bit difficult. I tried looking with sunlight incident from an angle. There was no exceptional degradation due to glare, nothing that would be different from any decent bin.
While internal reflections weren’t an issue, i did notice one shiny machining mark in both barrels. That could be because of preproduction piece.

And maybe the "blueish" colour some Zeiss binoculars give? I can imagine that looks more bright. Just guessing.

The contrast is interesting. I am still figuring it out what it really is. I have a SLC 8x42 and a NL 10x32. The SLC seems to have more contrast than an EL or NL, but I don't see any difference in that aspect. :unsure:
How can I test it?
Thats a surprise. On Birdforum some folks have mentioned Zeiss binos having a greenish cast but I don't recall any one mentioning a blue cast.

To check out contrast it might be helpful to look at the signage on the sides of vans and trucks that have dark words against a pale colour background. Those binos that display the colour as paler and the words as darker are the binos with more contrast.

Personally I wouldn't advise getting too obsessed with this kind of comparison.

Look at birds and animals, flowers and fungi and if the image provides you with enjoyment and education then the bino is doing a good job.

Lee

Thats a surprise. On Birdforum some folks have mentioned Zeiss binos having a greenish cast but I don't recall any one mentioning a blue cast.

To check out contrast it might be helpful to look at the signage on the sides of vans and trucks that have dark words against a pale colour background. Those binos that display the colour as paler and the words as darker are the binos with more contrast.

Personally I wouldn't advise getting too obsessed with this kind of comparison.

Look at birds and animals, flowers and fungi and if the image provides you with enjoyment and education then the bino is doing a good job.

Lee
I totally agree here. Bland comparisons lead to bland findings. In Birdforum a majority of members are nature observers. In that genre, these small SFLs will perform very well. I was totally happy with seeing Coromandel Marsh Dart Damselflies mating above the pond and bees busying about winter blooms. As I have mentioned already, distant warblers in bushes in the shade could be positively identified. So those who shall be procuring any of these will be happy for most part. I can live with ‘most part’ as there are no perfections in the world.
Arijit

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back