• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help identifying a bird (1 Viewer)

lance21

United States
My husband and I spotted a bird in Glenwood, IA this morning that we've struggled to identify. It was roughly the size of a robin. The top of its head was black but the sides were grey. Its wings were shades of brown, and its chest was mostly white but with black spots towards the wings. Never seen anything like it and can't locate anything similar in any of our field guides. Any suggestions?

The only bird I can think of with the description given is the Harris's sparrow, its a largish sparrow though its quite a bit smaller than a robin.

What was the bird doing? Behaviour can be a big clue to narrow down options. For example was it swimming in a lake, hopping on the ground, skulking in the grass, perching prominently high in a tree, tame and approachable, or shy and quick to fly far away? And if it flew how did it fly? Shape of the bird helps too. For example did it have a long curved beak or a short thick beak, a long tail, long legs, long neck etc etc. It's easier for someone to picture roughly what your bird looked like with this kind of information.

My husband and I spotted a bird in Glenwood, IA this morning that we've struggled to identify. It was roughly the size of a robin. The top of its head was black but the sides were grey. Its wings were shades of brown, and its chest was mostly white but with black spots towards the wings. Never seen anything like it and can't locate anything similar in any of our field guides. Any suggestions?
Where is IA, Americans, arrogantly, all presume we know their abbreviations.

Where is IA, Americans, arrogantly, all presume we know their abbreviations.
This is her first post. Perhaps she just found a site that helped ID birds and didn't fully realize that the whole world is represented on this forum. Maybe she was simply focused on her ID and didn't intend to be "arrogant". Edit: I edited a bit to be a bit more concise.

Last edited:
This is her first post. Perhaps she just found a site that helped ID birds and didn't fully realize that the whole world is here. Maybe she was simply focused on her ID and didn't intend to be "arrogant".
The World is not just America.

Hi again,
Does this look like your bird?

Other than the black cap, which might be a matter of lighting, this sounds somewhat like a Northern Flicker.
Northern Flicker was the first thing I thought of (in spite of the lack of a black cap), mostly because it's roughly the size of an American Robin, and it regularly puzzles people who aren't accustomed to describing birds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back