• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help identifying a bird (1 Viewer)

Louisville, KY

Bird: brownish grey color, only clearly distinguishing feature is a black spot on its throat. Unusual call, more hawkish in nature.

I’d describe it as a round chest and belly.

Welcome to BF.
Kentucky, USA, presumably. The date should be given as well.
No chance for an ID from that I'm afraid unless you can get (even a very bad) photo. Your best chance is to get hold of a field guide and leaf through it.

Louisville, KY

Bird: brownish grey color, only clearly distinguishing feature is a black spot on its throat. Unusual call, more hawkish in nature.

I’d describe it as a round chest and belly.
Further notes:

Brownish grey color. Large black spot on its throat. Rounder in the chest. Somewhat large- dove or robin like in size. The thing that caught my attention was its unusual hawk like call - more shrill and crisp rather than “sing songie”

Welcome to BF.
Kentucky, USA, presumably. The date should be given as well.
No chance for an ID from that I'm afraid unless you can get (even a very bad) photo. Your best chance is to get hold of a field guide and leaf through it.
Louisville KY. 2/25/2024

I can't think that a Google search would show you anything useful apart from random bird photos. If you can't find a proper printed field guide for N America, try wandering through this...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back