• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kumlien's / Thayer's Gull??, Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
The roost watchers at Chasewater would appreciate any thoughts regarding this second winter gull, originally identified as a Kumlien's but with Thayer's now suggested.

Attachments

• D1jwskfWkAIZLCk.jpeg
    D1jwskfWkAIZLCk.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 58
  • D1jwskhX0AABNB8.jpeg
    D1jwskhX0AABNB8.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 56
  • D1jwslTWsAAIMKW.jpeg
    D1jwslTWsAAIMKW.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 79
  • D1kDVD-X0AgJuNd.jpeg
    D1kDVD-X0AgJuNd.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 44
  • D1kDVDuWkAU4jAi.jpeg
    D1kDVDuWkAU4jAi.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 58
And one final image (all taken this evening - photos courtesy of Keith Whitehouse)

Attachments

• D1kDVDtX4AUHvyG.jpeg
    D1kDVDtX4AUHvyG.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 71
I've no direct experience of Thayer's Gull, but a few things don't fit based on my limited knowledge/experience.

I would expect the wing coverts for example, to be much plainer than this bird's (notice in pics 2 & 3 how boldly marked they are) and the tail to be predominantly plain & dark. So for me, you need to exclude a 3cy Herring Gull (what I think this is) before considering a Thayer's/Kumlien's.

The bird in post #2 is a different bird (2cy Herring Gull).

Last edited:
Phil - I take it the last image has been uploaded incorrectly? I'm sure others who are far more experienced will be able to add far more detail, but shouldn't Thayer's show a darker and broader subterminal tail bar as well as barred uppertail coverts? Also not sure that a window in p10 is good for Thayer's - see http://gull-research.org/thayers/2cymay.html.

Phil - I take it the last image has been uploaded incorrectly? I'm sure others who are far more experienced will be able to add far more detail, but shouldn't Thayer's show a darker and broader subterminal tail bar as well as barred uppertail coverts? Also not sure that a window in p10 is good for Thayer's - see http://gull-research.org/thayers/2cymay.html.

Your link isn't working for me Daniel, but a p10 mirror is at least possible on 2nd winter Thayer's (if uncommon): http://gull-research.org/thayers/thayers2cy/2cydec03.html

There aren't many examples of early 3cy birds on the GRO site, so I've linked a late 2nd cy bird, which shouldn't look too different. I can certainly see more than a passing resemblance to the subject bird, but IMO the key features aren't right for Thayer's.

edit: my own link isn't working for me either-uploaded in my usual way, so perhaps something wrong at my end?!! (but does work using my phone wtf!)

Last edited:
#2 shows a 2cy HG, and the bird in #1 is also a herring gull, a 3cy. much too bulky, strong billed and wrong pattern. i guess it's a nominate argentatus with its p10 mirror (not 'window' as said above) of an isabelline type - paler, more washed out pattern than usual.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back