• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull-billed Tern from Camargue (1 Viewer)

L'argonnais

France
Hello,
I saw that bird last month, in south of France , "Camargue". At first , I thought it was a Sandwich Tern. But I do not see the yellow bill-tip. Then I guess it is a Gull-billed Tern ; but I'm not so sure , and would appreciate to be confirmed.
JR

Attachments

• DSC_2949-AM.JPG
    DSC_2949-AM.JPG
    667.5 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_2948_AM.JPG
    DSC_2948_AM.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 134
Hello JR,

yes its a Gull billed Tern imo.
Bill shape is slightly difficult to Judge, but many Sandwich Terns have a longer bill and the yellow tip should be visible (weak in a few only)
More uniform pale upper primaries with a narrow blackish trailung edge is good for Gull- billed Tern

Edit: I just realized that (surely) two birds are involved:
the first is a Sandwich Tern by yellow tip to the bill and blackish edge to the outer wing and the black trailing to the primaries is also sharper demarcated than in your Gull billed Tern from the 2. picture

So you got both right and propably your confusionen arises from this, that 2 differ2nt species are shown.

Last edited:
Hello again,

I looked at the first picture again, and I am not so sure anymore. While I still think its a Sandwich Tern, can it be a pitfall picture of the same Gull billed Tern?

Is the pale bill top just a sun reflection? Although I get a natural impression here, some Sandwich Terns have little yellow at the tip (especially in Winter?)
And is the black trailing edge to long? I looked at pictures and the inner primaries should be paler/whitish?

If these are truly the same bird, then I think the second image excludes Sandwich and gives GbTern. If two different birds, then I would still say GbTe for the second image, and undecided for the first.
Niels

Hello,
thanks to all for your help. And apologies.....there were two birds ! I should have said it. But to tell you the truth, I forgot it when I posted that thread. And I also thought when I saw them and took the pictures it was 2 birds of the same species. I saw only these two terns during the 90 mn spent in this site. I have one more picture. I do not know from which bird
JR

Attachments

• DSC_2950_AM.JPG
    DSC_2950_AM.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 21
Hello,

thanks for the new Information and the second picture!

Your new picture shows a Gull-billed Tern imo by lack of yellow bill tip (and bill seems too short for many Sandwich Terns, yes difficult to judge)

And most important: Parker, great to see you commenting again !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back