• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extra limital BOP.....? (1 Viewer)

strange that those who do submit records don't see goshawks but those who do see goshawks don't submit records. What's going on there?

Perhaps individuals can't be bothered for a variety of reasons...too much hassle..or assuming others have submitted? They have occured at RSPB Rainham (not exactly a wooded area), certainly over the last few years...my latest LBR is 2013, am looking forward to the 2014 edition.

Last edited:
Perhaps individuals can't be bothered for a variety of reasons...too much hassle..or assuming others have submitted? They have occured at RSPB Rainham (not exactly a wooded area), certainly over the last few years...my latest LBR is 2013, am looking forward to the 2014 edition.

But it's not really about why individuals per se haven't contributed their records - it's about why the individuals who regularly see goshawks aren't contributing. Presumably several hundred observers submit records to the LBR - and out of them, there were only three publishable records of Goshawk.Yet you know five people from a small part of the recording area who regularly see these things but don't submit them?

If it was about hassle (?) or the assumption that others were going to report, there would be anomalies with other species. Doesn't add up to me.

Or perhaps they don't submit them for fear of ridicule and disdain when subsequently id'd or disregarded as Sprawks? ;)

I received a phone call last night from a colleague who has been "informed" of an upsurge in A.gentilis records for the London area, circa 20+ records in 2014 alone! Whether these translate into accepted records, only time will tell, thus the 2014 LBR should prove to be a "must have read".

Regarding scepticism of the said taxa- Thirty years ago I belonged to a local running club, where I met a fellow birder who did voluntary work for the RSPB.
One day he took me into his confidence and told me about a breeding pair on the Essex/Herts border, although I acknowledged the "news" with apparent acceptance, Inwardly I was somewhat disbelieving! Prior to this, my only sightings had been in Norfolk and Derbyshire during the '70's.

Having suspected their occurence in my local area from 2008 onwards, I was rewarded on March 3rd 2009, when after stopping the car on an unnamed road, with a "blizzard" of Corvids, Thrushes and Woodpigeons preceding an oncoming female Goshawk, flap flap gliding, about 20m up. This was the only time that I
have had unequivocal sustained views in open countryside. My description of the bird.....like a small Llammergeir! I didn't submit it for obvious reasons.

Take the "bones" out of that Rother! It's interesting to note that all the sceptical dissent, seems to emanate from outside the capital :eek!:....FWIW the UK list is currently 600 species....of which 60% have occurred within a 20 mile radius of St.Pauls.

Last year while driving I saw a female Gos fly across the section of the M25 between Epping forest and Brentwood. Although I am absolutely certain about the identity of the bird I was going at some speed and so was the Goshawk. It would have been difficult to put together an adequate description of that bird so no submission.

I suspect that other sightings in the area by a range of birders might also be too fleeting for adequate appraisal of the birds in question. Undoubtedly there will be misidentifications by some, but that does not mean that they are not there! There is plenty of habitat for them.

This was the only time that I
have had unequivocal sustained views in open countryside. My description of the bird.....like a small Llammergeir! I didn't submit it for obvious reasons.

What are the obvious reasons? - I'm genuinely curious about this. There are a few birders up here who don't contribute anything and I'd love to know the thinking behind it.

What are the obvious reasons? - I'm genuinely curious about this. There are a few birders up here who don't contribute anything and I'd love to know the thinking behind it.

My thinking was...a sensitive date on that particular occasion.

AllanM's comment has a lot of validity as to the possible reasons for withholding information, and from a personal perspective on another occasion November 29th 2009, over a 4 hour period, I had Firecrest, 2 Little Egrets and a Goshawk from my bedroom window...my reasons for not submitting was quite straightforward....a waste of time and energy on my part, as there would have been a wall of disbelief! Being slightly elevated on the forest ridge, adjacent to probably the narrowest part of the forest (200m) as it runs SW-NE acts as a "corridor" for passing migrants.

Thus I'm prudent and selective with what I put out....generally If I can procure an Image I will submit.

But why wouldn't they believe you? Surely that's what descriptions are for?

Thrice bitten never again!...unless I can provide images for back-up or alternative supporting evidence. The three species have all been imaged subsequently, with only Goshawk now "still" being relevant for consideration, images have been sent to the relevant recorder.

Having had a London Gos record accepted back in mid-late 90s (Brent Res), I don't get all this pessimism surrounding submissions in this thread. If you submit a decent, honest description, or photos that actually show a Gos, there's no reason it should be rejected

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back